Welcome to Gaia! ::

Good question/suggestion?

Yes 0.25 25.0% [ 2 ]
No 0.75 75.0% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 8 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Krice

I like your suggestion, Aureilias. Something of that sort would be very helpful.

You could make an information thread to link new art shops to that give the different tags. You could try setting a trend of putting the bracketed tags in the titles. Once several larger shops take it on, other smaller shops may adopt the idea to increase custom. The only problem I can see with this is some people offer all styles but then I guess they could just (ALL REGULAR STYLES AVAILABLE) or an acronym for the sake of the the title character restriction. You could even name it the Krice System and you'd probably find the art you're looking for at the same time. wink

Other may even join you in asking Art shops to use the tags. Just so long as you don't try and force people to do it, I don't see why they'd object.

Clean Hunter

8,325 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Dlin
I'd like to correct a few misconceptions here. Gaia does not actually have a large moderating staff that could immediately deal with more specialized art forums, and won't have extra bodies to throw at sorting art shops by style. As it is, the division of Art Shops from Art Requests is actually fairly recent.

Here's a point for you to ponder. Many of the artists who have an anime style offer both chibis and normal proportioned figurative works in their shops. Where would you put their shop? Or would you insist on them being forced to have two or more shops? I suspect you would find little enthusiasm for this from current shop owners and their regular customers and supporters/fans. Trying to pin down artists to one style per shop would be unfairly limiting, both to business and to creativity.

Forums on Gaia are usually created when there is a real demand for them from large numbers of users. I really do not see a large demand for a "chibi shop" subforum since those types of shops fit nicely and get plenty of traffic in their current home in Art Shops. Creating even more subforums would potentially reduce the numbers of users browsing for art and not really benefit anyone in my experience.

Try using the forum search feature if you are looking for realism in art shops.

Thank you very much for your input. I actually suggested putting the less common art forms, like realistic-type stuff, in a sub-forum and leaving the chibis where they are since there are so many forums for them.

I would never force anyone to do anything. This was just a friendly suggestion to get a bit of feedback on what people thought. Thank you again for giving us an 'insider's' opinion, as a forum assistant.

I will give the search method another try. Hopefully people use keywords correctly. >.>

Quote:
Eri fox

Exactly, yeah. smile I just want to see something different, but it's really hard to find it.

Quote:
Aureilias
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Oh of course, I'd never force anyone to do stuff. I'm just looking for some kind of method, ANY method, to try and clarify the threads for people searching for something other than chibi, that's all. smile Through the course of this discussion, I have learned that it doesn't matter what the method is - be it my suggestion or the others posed here by people who have responded. Like Dlin suggested, I'll just give the search thingy a shot.

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Eri fox
I am so sorry you are receiving so much hate from your innocent idea... I just came in here today to get some opinions, but since no one is posting in my thread I'm browsing all the other threads in here, and every single thread I go into I see what I assume to be the regulars bitching out someone. It just makes me want to say ******** art! mad all the 'artist' we have to connect with here are assholes.

Anyway, sorry, just had to get that out, this is like the 5th thread I've entered and observed such rude replies.

I, on the other hand, know exactly what you are talking about. I LOVE chibis, but they really do all look the same and one you've got about 100 of them you start to wonder where you can get some art that is actually of a unique style.

I'd say there should be one sub forum, for chibis, seeing how popular they are. It would allow some of the more unique art to float back up to the first page without being drown out by endless chibi art.

Hate? I don't see any hate. People stating facts and opinions, sure, but not hate.

This forum is very slow moving and the community, for the most part, is made almost completely of regulars. Most of who are in school or are professionals in the field.

If running into a few individuals, ones who take something that is a HUGE part of their life seriously, makes you want to say ******** art...well...that's no ones fault but your own. I suggest re-evaluating why you do art or grow a backbone.

As for the o.p., its simply too inconvenient to try and pull off. You are going to have to go by title, which is usually what they are there for.

And, if you are looking for other shops like the one you've found that you like, usually they have a banners section with shops a lot like theirs that you can browse.
Ms Spook

And, if you are looking for other shops like the one you've found that you like, usually they have a banners section with shops a lot like theirs that you can browse.

True, but it should be noted that many people use pictures for their shop banners that are kind of misleading. Half the time when I click on a particularly gorgeous banner, the picture is nowhere to be found among the samples.

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Nineath
Ms Spook

True, but it should be noted that many people use pictures for their shop banners that are kind of misleading. Half the time when I click on a particularly gorgeous banner, the picture is nowhere to be found among the samples.

That's advertising for ya. lol

The food on the commercials never looks that good in real life. emo
Ms Spook

No but that doesn't make using what I have to suspect is someone elses art to advertise ok.

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Nineath
Ms Spook

No but that doesn't make using what I have to suspect is someone elses art to advertise ok.

Ah, I interperated that wrong. I thought you meant they used the piece they got lucky on for advertising. While everything else is well...didn't turn out so lucky.

Clean Hunter

8,325 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Nineath
Ms Spook

User Image

Yeah, I don't agree with advertising with someone else's art to promote your own either. That seems just... pointless. O.o Not to mention wrong.
Ms Spook
Nineath
Ms Spook

Ah, I interperated that wrong. I thought you meant they used the piece they got lucky on for advertising. While everything else is well...didn't turn out so lucky.

Ah, I see. Well, that's certainly a possibility.

It's just that when people have an amazing banner and that particular artwork is nowhere to be found among the samples, it kind of makes my alarm bells ring. It makes little sense to lure people into your shop and then thoroughly disappoint them by not offering what the banner promised. A banner doesn't make people buy your art after all. It's usually the samples that convince them, so not including your best artwork in the samples is a little... weird.

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Nineath
Ms Spook
Nineath
Ms Spook

Ah, I see. Well, that's certainly a possibility.

It's just that when people have an amazing banner and that particular artwork is nowhere to be found among the samples, it kind of makes my alarm bells ring. It makes little sense to lure people into your shop and then thoroughly disappoint them by not offering what the banner promised. A banner doesn't make people buy your art after all. It's usually the samples that convince them, so not including your best artwork in the samples is a little... weird.

That's a red flag that they won't be able to draw if you ask me. It probably isn't their art in those cases.

Then you have people that show eyeballed anime work and its semi decent and then when people order its one step above stick figure....

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Eri fox
I am so sorry you are receiving so much hate from your innocent idea... I just came in here today to get some opinions, but since no one is posting in my thread I'm browsing all the other threads in here, and every single thread I go into I see what I assume to be the regulars bitching out someone. It just makes me want to say ******** art! mad all the 'artist' we have to connect with here are assholes.

Anyway, sorry, just had to get that out, this is like the 5th thread I've entered and observed such rude replies.

I, on the other hand, know exactly what you are talking about. I LOVE chibis, but they really do all look the same and one you've got about 100 of them you start to wonder where you can get some art that is actually of a unique style.

I'd say there should be one sub forum, for chibis, seeing how popular they are. It would allow some of the more unique art to float back up to the first page without being drown out by endless chibi art.

I assume you're refferring to me and a couple others.
How on Earth are we being rude. He asked for opinions, we gave opinions.

Clean Hunter

8,325 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

I'm a she. >.> The mistake is easily forgiven - I have a male avi after all.

Invisible Kitten

9,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
It's not an idea that will actually happen due to lack of necessity and manpower, and it will probably aggravate people's abilities to misplace threads extremely (which we all know are quite highly developed).
I think it will also inconvenience those who are not fussy about the style of art they buy since they now have to browse multiple forums to view art that used to all be in one spot, and be harder on people who sell art (e.g. me) who are trying to get business since chances are potential customers will be off browsing another forum while I'm bumping my shop in loneliness.
If there's a sought-after thread that people miss because other threads have knocked it off the front page, then it's the fault of the person who's seeking it since they missed it or the fault of the thread's inhabitants for not bumping it. Every thread in art shops is either misplaced or trying to sell art, and no art thread is less deserving of attention simply because there is a more popular thread that could be on the front page instead of it.
On certain occasions I have tried to organise things into as many categories as this (forum threads, Pokemon, game equipment) and usually it's greatly advantageous to stuff all similar items into the same space if you really want to be organised. It's not worth it to keep tabs of every small storage space, and it's harder to track something that is not in its proper area.

One thing that this idea has going for it is that most people who can't really draw anime well label their art as 'chibi' to try and excuse the awfulness of it. So all I would have to do is not go into the chibi forum and I wouldn't have to stumble upon their shop.

By the way I think I tend to come across as a bit angry or negative emotion-y to some pretty sensitive people and I hope I'm not because I'm not trying to.

Clean Hunter

8,325 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Cream Puffnut
It's not an idea that will actually happen due to lack of necessity and manpower, and it will probably aggravate people's abilities to misplace threads extremely (which we all know are quite highly developed).
I think it will also inconvenience those who are not fussy about the style of art they buy since they now have to browse multiple forums to view art that used to all be in one spot, and be harder on people who sell art (e.g. me) who are trying to get business since chances are potential customers will be off browsing another forum while I'm bumping my shop in loneliness.
If there's a sought-after thread that people miss because other threads have knocked it off the front page, then it's the fault of the person who's seeking it since they missed it or the fault of the thread's inhabitants for not bumping it. Every thread in art shops is either misplaced or trying to sell art, and no art thread is less deserving of attention simply because there is a more popular thread that could be on the front page instead of it.
On certain occasions I have tried to organise things into as many categories as this (forum threads, Pokemon, game equipment) and usually it's greatly advantageous to stuff all similar items into the same space if you really want to be organised. It's not worth it to keep tabs of every small storage space, and it's harder to track something that is not in its proper area.

One thing that this idea has going for it is that most people who can't really draw anime well label their art as 'chibi' to try and excuse the awfulness of it. So all I would have to do is not go into the chibi forum and I wouldn't have to stumble upon their shop.

By the way I think I tend to come across as a bit angry or negative emotion-y to some pretty sensitive people and I hope I'm not because I'm not trying to.
User Image

That's what I'm saying... Being able to find a shop without having to rifle through a bajillion 'chibi' forums. There are so, so, SO many of them.

I did a search for 'regular' (which I've since found is what people call non-chibi art) art but didn't get very many results. The ones I did get were all old too. There were a couple that were as recent as the end of last month.

Anyway, I suggested having the less popular art forms (realism, 'regular', etc) as having their own collective sub-forum, but all the points you bring up are very valid.

What if there was some kind of way of colour-coding the thread titles (the URLs you click)? Like, for example, green for chibi, blue for regular, and red for everything?

Invisible Kitten

9,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Krice

That's what I'm saying... Being able to find a shop without having to rifle through a bajillion 'chibi' forums. There are so, so, SO many of them.

I did a search for 'regular' (which I've since found is what people call non-chibi art) art but didn't get very many results. The ones I did get were all old too. There were a couple that were as recent as the end of last month.

Anyway, I suggested having the less popular art forms (realism, 'regular', etc) as having their own collective sub-forum, but all the points you bring up are very valid.

What if there was some kind of way of colour-coding the thread titles (the URLs you click)? Like, for example, green for chibi, blue for regular, and red for everything?

The colour coding would help to differentiate, but wouldn't it not make much of a difference anyway since the threads are still all in one forum? I guess if you're looking to avoid/find one kind of shop it would certainly help.
Actually, I think the reason why anyone would label their stuff 'regular' is if they are selling another style in the shop that is perhaps chibi. And that's if they choose to call it regular, instead of 'style 2' or 'not chibi' or some other moniker. A lot of people don't bother to label their style at all (unless it's that stupid HQ label) since they're selling just one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff