Totally Disagree 0.37037037037037 37.0% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 27 ]
1 2 >

Star

15,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Party Animal 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
They're no good. Most critiques made on Gaia are uninformed, pompous and pretentious.

User Image

For example. In a real critique I would be expected to describe the visual elements. Then explain the rules of art and principles of design that have been used and maybe gestalt principles as well. Then describe the techniques used to achieve the resulting work of art. After that I am to explain how these ideas have been implemented well and perhaps how they have been implemented not as well, and answer any specific questions that might be asked, like: "do these techniques lend themselves to the desired stylistic intent?"

Most of what I see is "I don't like the style"
"The anatomy of the arm is a bit off"
"Uhh.. something about the color blue I don't like"

These are comments on stylistic preference and have nothing to do with stylistic intent. These kinds of comments are not critiques and they aren't helpful in the least. So please, when you ask me why I "can't take a critique" I want you to try to understand its more about having to take your stupidity.

agree? disagree?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wrathful Mystic

I mean, yes what you said there is right, crits like that arent helpful, but I was looking at your threads and I have to say even I don't understand what exactly you're looking for, especially on a forum that is mostly teenagers with no professional background.

You made stock photos, like you said they arent supposed to be special, but I'm not sure anyone really knows what to do with that or what to even comment on to fix, and I dont think its necessarily their fault as they arent professional stock photographers or anything. Most people here are illustrators so I'm not sure you're in the correct place?

idk man the whole thing is confusing. I'm sure what you do is difficult to achieve in photos and I would comment myself but again, I have literally no idea about any of the equipment and process that goes behind that and I'm not sure they do either.
CubeMelonClock
They're no good. Most critiques made on Gaia are uninformed, pompous and pretentious.

User Image

For example. In a real critique I would be expected to describe the visual elements. Then explain the rules of art and principles of design that have been used and maybe gestalt principles as well. Then describe the techniques used to achieve the resulting work of art. After that I am to explain how these ideas have been implemented well and perhaps how they have been implemented not as well, and answer any specific questions that might be asked, like: "do these techniques lend themselves to the desired stylistic intent?"

Most of what I see is "I don't like the style"
"The anatomy of the arm is a bit off"
"Uhh.. something about the color blue I don't like"

These are comments on stylistic preference and have nothing to do with stylistic intent. These kinds of comments are not critiques and they aren't helpful in the least. So please, when you ask me why I "can't take a critique" I want you to try to understand its more about having to take your stupidity.

agree? disagree?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

aaaw. baby's not getting his hand held the way he wants? so sad :c

on a more serious note, if you've come to gaia for professional grade critique, i can only say one thing.

ha. rofl

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

3,300 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tipsy 100
you chose squidward to express your artistic 'irritation'? really? the guy who can't play clarinet for s**t and IS pretentious and pompous?

It's gaia not CG hub, bring that s**t down a notch.
i think youre butthurt
"The anatomy of the arm is off," isn't necessarily a crit of style. It's vague and not all that helpful, but can be a very valid objective point, depending on the art being critiqued. But eh, semantics.
I personally respect those of greater skill than my own who have chosen to lend their view to other artists here. I may not necessarily agree with them or their delivery thereof, but their eyes may see something the receiving party does not.

The only art-related pompousness and pretentiousness I've seen today is that "real critique" mumbo-jumbo. A crit has to be applicable to the situation at hand. For example, an in-depth crit like the one described in the OP would do jack s**t for me were I to receive one like it, because it's not the kind of crit I'm looking for or need. I draw to tell stories, make others and myself happy, and have fun, not determine whether my work would be a good example of what to or what not to do concerning the theoretical side of art. Which means I would need to know about a style not working out, or anatomy/proportions being wonky, or if a color isn't contributing to the piece. I don't need all the extra fat of the describing of elements and explaining of rules and all that jazz. Just the meat of the crit, well-marbled with appropriate information and seasoned with experience, please and thanks.

But honestly? If you're (that's a general address pronoun, not a specific) posting for feedback on Gaia and expecting professional critique, you're looking in the wrong place. xd This is a social forum/avatar-dressup site populated by folk from all walks of life. You want pro crit, you go to ConceptArt or other high-skill-level gallery sites. The people here draw because they can, because they want to, because they enjoy it. Not necessarily because they are or want to be professionals.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

You could always take a class on photography for that kind of feedback.

Obsessive milonguera

I somewhat agree but... this is a pixel dress up doll website. You cannot expect all or even most critique and feedback to be helpful and constructive.

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
Seriously? After what went on here you describe OUR critique as pretentious, pompous and uninformed? Don´t make me laugh.

Feral Protector

12,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
I read the fiasco in the other thread you made.

It just seems you wanted to be lavished in praise for something that a majority of people with the same "doll", camera, diffuser, and other little fancy things could do.

I thought it was adorable you called someone out for a painting and saying they have a "cute little hobby" when any 10 yr old with a camera and access wal-mart photo-lab/photoshop could take pictures. How is that any different than what you are claiming?

Yeah its a "stock" image. It's also severely lacking (I'm not going to tell you in what its lacking because if you claim to be good you'd know already). I can't honestly see this being used for anything semi serious in stock work except maybe someone using it to show how it looks outside the box on an ebay posting. Maybe a different angle would have been a bit more but it looks just dull for a stock image even.

Feel free to call me out in any way your heart desires. I will admit now before you can try to do so. I'm not an amazing artist, I'm an amateur photographer (I did however make a living off it for several months). My opinion will differ from yours. I can accept criticism. I am not perfect. You can see me as a "kid" in an insult but you'd be far from correct and assuming so would make you more childish than myself (and I can be a spoiled ******** when I wish to be).

You want a real critique for stock photos? Don't post them on Gaia... and if you do make sure you have more than one so people can properly compare them and tell you what you need to work on. Some people wont know what they are talking about at all 0% which was obvious in one poster in your thread near the end.

TL biggrin R;

You aren't perfect, don't claim to be. Don't go around asking for advice when all you are going to do is insult people because you don't like what they have to say. Grow up, listen, and get better (Not an insult, just how it works).

I wont be back.

Star

15,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Party Animal 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
kingliger
I read the fiasco in the other thread you made.

It just seems you wanted to be lavished in praise for something that a majority of people with the same "doll", camera, diffuser, and other little fancy things could do.

I thought it was adorable you called someone out for a painting and saying they have a "cute little hobby" when any 10 yr old with a camera and access wal-mart photo-lab/photoshop could take pictures. How is that any different than what you are claiming?

Yeah its a "stock" image. It's also severely lacking (I'm not going to tell you in what its lacking because if you claim to be good you'd know already). I can't honestly see this being used for anything semi serious in stock work except maybe someone using it to show how it looks outside the box on an ebay posting. Maybe a different angle would have been a bit more but it looks just dull for a stock image even.

Feel free to call me out in any way your heart desires. I will admit now before you can try to do so. I'm not an amazing artist, I'm an amateur photographer (I did however make a living off it for several months). My opinion will differ from yours. I can accept criticism. I am not perfect. You can see me as a "kid" in an insult but you'd be far from correct and assuming so would make you more childish than myself (and I can be a spoiled ******** when I wish to be).

You want a real critique for stock photos? Don't post them on Gaia... and if you do make sure you have more than one so people can properly compare them and tell you what you need to work on. Some people wont know what they are talking about at all 0% which was obvious in one poster in your thread near the end.

TL biggrin R;

You aren't perfect, don't claim to be. Don't go around asking for advice when all you are going to do is insult people because you don't like what they have to say. Grow up, listen, and get better (Not an insult, just how it works).

I wont be back.

please, don't come back because none of that had anything to do with this thread.

Star

15,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Party Animal 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
A.D.1492
I somewhat agree but... this is a pixel dress up doll website. You cannot expect all or even most critique and feedback to be helpful and constructive.

ok, that is fair and I see your point.

Star

15,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Party Animal 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
God-the-almighty

yeah. my point is just on critiquing other people's critiques. Most of them aren't even critiques they are just bad comments that people insist are critiques. I just think if you're judging someone's hard work then that person has the right to judge the value of your input.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

CubeMelonClock
God-the-almighty

yeah. my point is just on critiquing other people's critiques. Most of them aren't even critiques they are just bad comments that people insist are critiques. I just think if you're judging someone's hard work then that person has the right to judge the value of your input.
You always have the right to judge for yourself whether any input is useful or not.
That might even be a learning experience too, when you look at what other people are saying about your work sometimes it causes you to look at your stuff more closely. Oh and I do get what you are trying to say about stock not having the same criteria as art photography. I've been doing both for a while now and sometimes good stock isn't the prettiest photograph. The whole purpose of it is to show an item or items that can be useful to others. It's not really about telling a story like some of the other people have been commenting complained about. The story is the responsibility of those using the stock not the person making it.
Quoting Pablo Piccaso

When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning.
When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine.

If you know picasso's artworks & masterpieces. You know what i mean. emotion_bandaid

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff