Welcome to Gaia! ::

So AD, basically I had an idea for a personal project I would call "365 Days of Redesign" where I would take logos of any company/business and redesign them as a daily blog. So pretty much a logo a day.

This all sounded nice and dandy until I remembered that I didn't own these logos.

So what I'm asking is, is this an issue of copyright/ownership?

It might seem silly but I just want to make sure my a** is covered before I start anything. I don't think some of the companies would mind but I'm not going to take shots in the dark, so to speak.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just wondering if anyone knows of a free program that operates some what like Illustrator? Basically I'm just searching for something that has something similar to the Pen tool and access to a wide range of fonts (whether compatible with dafont, Universal Type Client, or just comes with a variety of fonts).

I'm just so shaky still with my tablet and I hate taking crappy photos of drawn work.

Thanks!

Vicious Grabber

I don't really know about how copyright infringement works, but I heard if it is even 10% similar then they have rights to ******** up your s**t or something like that >_<

So that means you have to change at least 91% of it. D: I could be wrong tho so don't quote me for this lol
Laenri
I don't really know about how copyright infringement works, but I heard if it is even 10% similar then they have rights to ******** up your s**t or something like that >_<

So that means you have to change at least 91% of it. D: I could be wrong tho so don't quote me for this lol

My plan is to completely change the logo so it's (hopefully) not like the original. The biggest factor in this is, of course, the company name, but I have plans for it too.

Vicious Grabber

Yea. I can see companies being butthurt, but at the same time its free advertising on your part either way. I don't really know. IOt could be a good decision to do a bit of researching first D:

Original Lunatic

I don't know much about the implications of doing something like that, but to be completely honest, I would be worried that a company would see a redesigned logo, like it a lot, and nab it to use without your permission. If they were a big enough company, they might bully you into being able to use it, which would suck.

Space Detective

19,940 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Most logos are actually trademarks/servicemarks. While there are some copyright issues, most of them revolve around confusing or misleading people. As long as you are not being misleading about what you are doing, I highly doubt any company would really care. If you do get a C&D letter, just apologize and take that logo off your site.

If you want to stay away from any legal stuff, you might try redesigning universal symbols (recycle, stop sign, bathroom people, etc.).

Vicious Grabber

Haha, redoing bathroom people would be fun. I've seen some pretty crazy designs on some doors to bathrooms before xD

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
as long as you arent making money off of it i think it would be ok. its seems like you could just treat it as fanart

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Look up trademark law, that's the part that might mess you up.

5,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
Laenri

There are no percentages in copyright law. It's not something that can be measured numerically, so courts can't really use a measure like that. (Anime conventions often state a percentage, though, since they don't have to have complete proof like a legal court does. That might be the reason you've heard percentages.)

I'd give a rundown of what it is based on, but that's kind of beyond the scope of this thread, since logos would usually fall under trademark law and not copyright. If you ever need to know if you're violating copyright law, though, best thing to do is find the official copyright website for your country and read about it there.
Wow, great responses! I'll follow these suggestions right now.
Well, as far I can understand of the Canadian Trademark Act, if I'm not being misleading in conclusion with other precautions, I should be okay.

Nonetheless, I'm writing out a disclaimer.

Friendly Heckler

If your intentions are blatantly stated (as they are here), I don't think anyone will take issue with it. Since this is not for profit, there are way less issues. You may even be protected under parody laws. If nothing else, no company will outright sue you- at the worst, you'll get a cease and desist letter requesting that you remove a company's logo (although that's got some pretty long odds of happening). Heck, this was a graphic design project at my highschool, so I think you're safe.
From my understanding, if it's for educational purposes and not for profit you should be in the clear

(But if you wanted the full details, you would have to look at the copyright and trademark laws for the company's home country to know the full implications, not just your own)
This blog is using a similar idea you have

http://hipsterbranding.tumblr.com/

Judging from the positive press this blog has, I think you should be ok

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out