yes 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
no 1 100.0% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 12 ]

Angelic Inquisitor

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
side note: this isn't about me. I'm just curious what people think.
----
I'm not talking about copying pose derectly from a image, I'm talking about using the same pose for reference only not derectly copying the body pose.

1.What's your thoughts?
2. Do you think it's okay to use reference only of a pose without a consent? why?
3. What if someone made the same pose or simaliar pose without reference?

----
side note: this isn't about me. I'm just curious what people think.
            I hereby copyright the sitting pose. Now you need to pay me royalties whenever you sit down to take a dump.

I hope that answers your question, OP.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
No, you cannot copyright a pose.

However.

If you put ten people in a room and make them draw a model, you will come out with ten very different drawings.

An experienced eye can usually tell when something is copied with just the hair and clothes changed(especially if it's from a drawing, but you can often tell when it's from photo too). Also, artists that do this often take the whole composition as well as the pose.

I think you would learn more looking at various sources of people in a certain pose and draw your own, or take your own photos, rather than ask what you could get away with.

spunglass's Fav

Hostile Genius

You cannot copyright a pose itself. Evryone does that exact same pose at anytime of the day. Well depends, some people are more flexible than others.

But you get my point xD

To me you can use an image without consent just for the pose if its in terms of practicing. Like say, you want to practice anatomy and you need models etc so you use photos you see online, or posemaniacs, what have you. If its a more serious piece that you will publicize, and. You used refs, it is proper to state such things. Especially if its stock owned by other artists.

Its thanking them for their work in a way.

But more to the point, nothing beats taking your own pictures and merging as well. You can pick this bodypose with this hand gesture, etc.

We cant really help drawing similar looking poses, if you draw a cofee scene and someone next to you draws the same, youre bound to have the same people sitting etc.

In lame mans terms, if the reference was not yours to begin with, you just have to credit them. Free or Not.

If you draw from real life/make your own refs, its not a problem, its YOU who observed it from natural things, not another persons work, ya know?
When you don't have a model, Gi-Joe's are awesome. They are highly articulated, more than those artist reference models, and they can keep their poses better.. I just use some clay to hold them up.

On a side note, if you've altered the image you are referencing I believe 75%, it's not considered the same image.

Oddly, it's only 12% for clothing and fashion, which I think is why everything all looks the same anymore.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

God holds the copyright on every pose a human body can make. Seriously, a pose is just a pose, maybe thousands of people draw the same poses all the time. It's only a copyright issues if its a direct copy.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Ray Artemis Darkwolf

In lame mans terms, if the reference was not yours to begin with, you just have to credit them. Free or Not.

This is untrue. It depends on how much of the original picture you take and several other factors. And even then, it's polite to ask permission if the photo used is not stock.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff