Welcome to Gaia! ::

Closed

Grumpy Codger

26,875 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Worthy Challenger 25
Art and value are pretty subjective. What may be worth it to one user won't be to another, and none of it will be personally directed at you, just the art. It is difficult to give you feedback without seeing your actual work, but please don't post it here in Art Discussion. What you can do is create a thread in Pricing and Suggestions in Minishops with samples of your work and see what kind of responses and suggestions you get there. Then you'll get a variety of opinions and be able to make a better informed decision.
holy crap this is a mule
I've just had someone tell me that my art isn't worth the price that I'm asking, and I'm feeling a bit insecure. stressed

Pope Julius II tried to cheat Michelangelo out of payment for the Sistine Chapel ceiling, withholding and arguing about the fee so frequently that work was suspended for a full year at one point, and the Pope's retinue would pay Michelangelo behind the pontiff's back to keep him from quitting the project and leaving Rome.

There's never been a professional artist on Earth who hasn't been told their work wasn't worth their asking price. The people who say that aren't worth listening to.

Your work is worth what people will pay for it.

Shapeshifter

User Image There was a thread in here a little while ago about RL life pricing and how much people would be willing to pay real money for good custom art. Most said between $15-$25. I set mine between $50 - $100. But my bias is that the only time I would pay for art made by someone else would be because the artist is operating with a great amount of skill and is taking their time, skill, and effort, not to make something for themselves, but to make something for me. And this is a type of service I can't just go onto amazon.com and buy like your typical commodity.

Actually I find that what you really are buying from the artist is time and effort, which is independent of skill level. Even if its the most novice of artists, if they really slaved away over a piece to the best of their abilities it becomes worth something. Whether someone orders the work or not is made by the buyer before it is made. If the time and effort has been expended then it is the buyer's responsibility to compensate for that.

So the artist should set their price based on how much effort it is going to take to complete the type of art the artist is selling. If someone thinks its too high, then they're not worth your time because they obviously don't appreciate what you do.

At one point you were able to get customers and you say now your customer base has dwindled. Obviously at the start of your shop there were some individuals who thought your prices were fine. My question would be if anything has changed in the art you're producing, or if your shop is getting bumped enough to be visible by more users. Working on your shop layout is also a nice touch. Make your shop look nice, thought-out and professional, and keep your samples well stocked.
IronSpike
There's never been a professional artist on Earth who hasn't been told their work wasn't worth their asking price. The people who say that aren't worth listening to.

AS&R needed this bolded quote last night. gonk May I quote you in my sig?

@OP: Don't sweat over one person telling you that. Right now there are a few people over in the AS&R tossing fits over "how expensive" art is now compared to what it was the last time they were online, often 1-3 years ago.
But it is hard to know what your shop is like and what you are doing to promote it, so posting over there in the Pricing & Suggestions forum is your best bet for getting feedback.
Eizoryu

AS&R needed this bolded quote last night. gonk May I quote you in my sig?

Sure, go nuts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces