Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello, I was just wondering if there was a cheaper alternative to Copic markers. I really would like copics but they are just WAY to pricey for me...((for now anyways)) are there cheaper alternatives, not necessarily dirt cheap but you know. Thanks :]

Original Lunatic

Prismacolors?
They're a few cents/a dollar-ish cheaper than copics, but in my personal opinion, they're very different. I have used both copics and prismas extensively.

There are really no cheap alternatives that have the same look and feel. Not that I'm aware of.
I can't offer an opinion on what's a good alternative to copics, since I don't use markers. However, here's an idea (stolen from one of my favorite watercolor artists), why not just buy a few copic markers in different shades of grey, and only do your works in greyscale on paper, and then use photoshop to apply solid color over your greyscale drawing by setting layer property to hue or multiply. This way you are saving money and focusing on getting your values right first.

When you have more money, you can start getting more colors.
Depending on where you buy them there are: Prismacolors, Letraset Tria, Promarker (also made by letraset), Shinhan Touch, Triart (VERY similar to copic), chartpak AD markers, neopikos, pantone universe, and Blick studio markers.
Although, online, copics are only, like, 2 or 3 dollars a marker at the most on Dickblick.com and Carpediemstore.com.
Letraset tria had a bad batch of markers that were recalled quite a few months ago, so be aware that there may still be some stinker ones out there.
Albino Sea Monkey
Prismacolors?
They're a few cents/a dollar-ish cheaper than copics, but in my personal opinion, they're very different. I have used both copics and prismas extensively.

There are really no cheap alternatives that have the same look and feel. Not that I'm aware of.
They have this brand called Triart. It's like, if Letraset trias and copics had a kid, that would be it. (Like a copic with 3 nibs.)

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
Shinhan Touch markers are an alternative. As are Prismacolors and Trias.

Sadly, markers are not a cheap medium.

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
Use watercolors instead?
It's a very different look, but it's similarly quick to markers when it comes to throwing down some nice color/washes (though this is just my opinion, and I only really use markers for quick stuff).
I have a travel set that I bought for just 20 bucks that isn't that bad. *shrugs*
I love Neopikos, by a brand called Deleter. They're essentially Copics, but they're cheaper (they even have the nifty flexible brush tip that Copics do).

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
I own a couple of Shinhans, they are quite nice.

I personally like Tombow Dual-Brush Markers. They are definitely cheaper than Copic and they don't bleed through paper very easily, even normal sketchbook paper. They're water-based too, so they don't stink. However, they're not nearly as blendable as Copics, but you can achieve some pretty nice effects by dipping their tips in water.
crayola markers :p

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
AiyaDarkangel

Waterbased markers are pretty much a whole different medium than alcoholbased markers.
weellll you can try copic CIAO for $2.79 each?
they're just smaller copic markers and not refillable.
copic ciao
Seijaku_Ishida
AiyaDarkangel

Waterbased markers are pretty much a whole different medium than alcoholbased markers.

oh I know, it was only a joke regarding the quote "cheaper alternative"

5,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
AiyaDarkangel
Seijaku_Ishida
AiyaDarkangel

oh I know, it was only a joke regarding the quote "cheaper alternative"

Ah, I see. I've seen that suggestion uttered in complete seriousness in topics like this so I'm rather cynical.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff