Welcome to Gaia! ::

x-Sunarin-x's Princess

Dangerous Hellhound

x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic

Art isn't about talent. It's about passion.
Anyone can be an artist if they have the passion for it.

So you're in THAT group. That's fine, but I think you've got to be good at it, you need the skill, not just passionate. That said, passion can lead to skill as long as you don't get complacent.

THAT group? Is that a supposed to be an insult?

I never said passion doesn't lead to talent. But passion is a start.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Headphonerexic
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic

So you're in THAT group. That's fine, but I think you've got to be good at it, you need the skill, not just passionate. That said, passion can lead to skill as long as you don't get complacent.

If you think it is I guess.But I'm just pointing out that most people in the AD won't agree. You're a part of the 'anyone who want to be an artist is an artists' group, which is the less popular view. I think it's the stupid view, because it places no value on art, but I don't think having that view makes you stupid or anything. You're just a part of the other main view. That's all I meant by that :/

x-Sunarin-x's Princess

Dangerous Hellhound

x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic

If you think it is I guess.But I'm just pointing out that most people in the AD won't agree. You're a part of the 'anyone who want to be an artist is an artists' group, which is the less popular view. I think it's the stupid view, because it places no value on art, but I don't think having that view makes you stupid or anything. You're just a part of the other main view. That's all I meant by that :/

Art as a career is just like any other career. You have to want to do it, or you won't succeed.
It's no different from being a lawyer. You have to have a passion for law in order to do well.

Art has no value if anyone can do it? ... art comes from the soul. Art is expression, and art is freedom.
Don't make it into another mindless thing that people do and purchase because they're bored or have too much money to spend.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Headphonerexic
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic

Art as a career is just like any other career. You have to want to do it, or you won't succeed.
It's no different from being a lawyer. You have to have a passion for law in order to do well.

Art has no value if anyone can do it? ... art comes from the soul. Art is expression, and art is freedom.
Don't make it into another mindless thing that people do and purchase because they're bored or have too much money to spend.

Um, how did I make it that? I was just pointing out there's no point to being an artist if anyone can be one. It doesn't take away from the 'passion', but it still needs to be something you work for, just like any other career. Not just anyone can be a scientist; they need to be good at what they do and understand science. Same with art. Yes, loving art is great, but you need to have some basic level of skill and understanding.

And yes, I know passion is important, and I never said it wasn't. I'm just stressing the importance of skill. You get the title once you have the skill. A lawyer is passionate, but he's also got years of serious training in law. He needs both for the title.

x-Sunarin-x's Princess

Dangerous Hellhound

x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic

Um, how did I make it that? I was just pointing out there's no point to being an artist if anyone can be one. It doesn't take away from the 'passion', but it still needs to be something you work for, just like any other career. Not just anyone can be a scientist; they need to be good at what they do and understand science. Same with art. Yes, loving art is great, but you need to have some basic level of skill and understanding.

And yes, I know passion is important, and I never said it wasn't. I'm just stressing the importance of skill. You get the title once you have the skill. A lawyer is passionate, but he's also got years of serious training in law. He needs both for the title.

Anyone can learn facts, gain knowledge.
Anyone can develop a skill; it's called practice and determination.

But not everyone can pursue something without the passion for it.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Headphonerexic
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Headphonerexic

Anyone can learn facts, gain knowledge.
Anyone can develop a skill; it's called practice and determination.

But not everyone can pursue something without the passion for it.

Yeah, and passion means nothing because if you're doing it, you've got passion. I'm not a scientist because I've got a passion for it; they may be why I'm pursuing it, but it's not the definition of a scientist. I'm a scientist because I'm doing experiments and publishing studies and I'm not bullshitting it. Same applies to art. You aren't an artist if you have a passion for it. You're an artist if you practice constantly, learn the skills, and aren't bullshitting it. Yes, passion is why you pursue it, but it isn't what defines an artist. But, even someone with no passion for art can be an artist, if they have the skill, just like there are scientists who just do it for the title or money or for their parents, not because they like science.

And no, not everyone can learn the skills. Just like some people can't figure out math, others can't figure out art. But if you want to play the 'everyone can do that' game, everyone has a passion. It doesn't make them something. It's pursuing the passion and making something out of it that's important.

Shirtless Gekko

6,700 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
anybody can label themselves an artist if they think they've produced something artistic, being a good quality artist however or worthy of the title is another thing. the definition changes based on perception and opinion however.
eg. personal opinion, damien hurst is not an artist, he just puts dead animals in formaldehyde and calls it art.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff