Welcome to Gaia! ::

enough said.

Feline Strawberry

It is, isn't it?
Friendly is good, but so is honest. If you want to maximize your networking potential, you're going to need both.

If I had to choose between working with an honest a*****e and a dishonest asspatter, I'd choose the honest a*****e. However, if an honest person who also understands tact should enter the picture, I'd dump the other two to work with that person.

If my only choice was the dishonest asspatter, I'd work alone.
So is being able to take critique.

Widow

If everyone was nice in their career people wouldn't be complaining about how much of an a*****e their boss/work partner is.

I agree with panoplies because someone who lies just to be nice to people has either never grown a spine or is manipulative and most likely to screw you over later.

Same with critique.
panopales
Friendly is good, but so is honest. If you want to maximize your networking potential, you're going to need both.

If I had to choose between working with an honest a*****e and a dishonest asspatter, I'd choose the honest a*****e. However, if an honest person who also understands tact should enter the picture, I'd dump the other two to work with that person.

If my only choice was the dishonest asspatter, I'd work alone.

I agree with you. I have worked with both, and neither are fun. I'm just frustrated because there seems to be a lot of arrogance in here that doesn't seem to be productive, so I thought a reminder of the fact that no one would work with an a*****e if they didn't have to was in order. People in this industry talk and it's an easy way to burn bridges. I think some people just enjoy the mask of the internet as an excuse to take out their stress on people. It's really disheartening to me because we're all in the same boat and artists should be supportive not belittling for the sake of stroking their own egos.

"Why have a civilization if we're no longer interested in being civil." - Frank

Feline Strawberry

Read and Refute
If everyone was nice in their career people wouldn't be complaining about how much of an a*****e their boss/work partner is.

I agree with panoplies because someone who lies just to be nice to people has either never grown a spine or is manipulative and most likely to screw you over later.

Same with critique.

People can give their critique without embarrassing the artist.

Instead of saying "Your shading sucks, it's just big blocks of darker color."
You could say "Maybe you should try blurring your shading a bit more, that would look a lot better!"

See the difference?

Charming Cultist

33,900 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
CandyTheCat09
Read and Refute

Same with critique.

You could say "Maybe you should try blurring your shading a bit more, that would look a lot better!"

See the difference?
the first example wouldn't really be considered crit, as its not helpful or teach how to fix things. Now, if they did go into how to fix it, it'd start to fall under crit, but since people are snowflakes, they'll claim it wasn't a good crit because there was no compliment sandwich to go with it.

Obsessive milonguera

CandyTheCat09
Read and Refute

Same with critique.

See the difference?

If you are posting under the badge of 'artist' and 'experienced', people will threat you as such.
People won't threat you as a child, they won't swoon and sugarcoat.
They will assume you want to improve. They will assume you want to work in the field.
Harsh critique helps in both with the improving and preparing to work as an artist.

And know that many of those who critique with some authority of experience in this forum got much much harsher critique on their work in their life. And are still getting them.
CandyTheCat09
Read and Refute

Same with critique.

See the difference?

'Sucks' isn't the most tactful word, and the first critique is incomplete in that it offers no new information to improve the work. The second critique is lukewarm and unconvincing.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

I've always worked alone, at work and with my art. The only person I collaborated with was my sister and that was years ago. There is someone I'd like to work with but they are in another state.

As for being nice, I worked with the handicapped and elderly for years in a home setting. Often the only control they had in their lives was to make things harder for people like me, whether it was refusing care or not allowing me too do what I needed to do to make them safe and as healthy as possible. I learned how to work with people in difficult positions. I never take it personally, I keep the ultimate goal in mind and I work with them as they need it to allow them control while being able to do my job. I would work with people no one else could. I think skills like that would translate in an art setting.
A.D.1492
CandyTheCat09
Read and Refute

Same with critique.

See the difference?

If you are posting under the badge of 'artist' and 'experienced', people will threat you as such.
People won't threat you as a child, they won't swoon and sugarcoat.
They will assume you want to improve. They will assume you want to work in the field.
Harsh critique helps in both with the improving and preparing to work as an artist.

And know that many of those who critique with some authority of experience in this forum got much much harsher critique on their work in their life. And are still getting them.

I think though that people might be forgetting that there are a lot of beginners in here that aren't in the profession and aren't quite ready for that sort of judgement. A lot of the people I have seen get just hammered with negative and non productive comments aren't saying they are experienced. A grade school art teacher isn't going to have the same harshness in their critiques for their students as a college would or a boss. Do you see the difference? If you look at someone's art and you can tell they are light years away from being ready for the profession it's probably a good bet that they aren't ready for the harsh ripping apart of their work.

All of my teachers have made it a point to talk about how to give good productive critique so I imagine that most people who have gone through artistic training have also had that same notion pounded into their head, but have seemed to have forgotten.

be honest, be respectful.

That being said, I have seen some really awesome critiques here from people who know what they are talking about, have tact and are actually trying to help someone improve. Go you!
God forbid people on the internet actually be nice to each other for a change.

I totally agree with the OP. As far as a career goes, unless you're an absolutely amazing artist, no one will want to work with you if you're a jerk. Theoretically, if you're a nice person who is pleasant to be around, more people will want to hire you and/or purchase your work.

Even in internet critique, you can be friendly and helpful at the same time without "sugarcoating" your advice. Having a little bit of tact isn't the worst thing in the world- it makes you seem like a reasonable human being.

I know it's a lot of extra effort to not tell people on the internet you hate their work and think it's a pile of trash but it's worth a try.
God-the-almighty
I've always worked alone, at work and with my art. The only person I collaborated with was my sister and that was years ago. There is someone I'd like to work with but they are in another state.

As for being nice, I worked with the handicapped and elderly for years in a home setting. Often the only control they had in their lives was to make things harder for people like me, whether it was refusing care or not allowing me too do what I needed to do to make them safe and as healthy as possible. I learned how to work with people in difficult positions. I never take it personally, I keep the ultimate goal in mind and I work with them as they need it to allow them control while being able to do my job. I would work with people no one else could. I think skills like that would translate in an art setting.

That's a good way to look at life. I've worked with elderly too, and I have an easier time forgiving their attitudes than I do negative co-workers. I think dealing with assholes is a part of life but I don't understand the point of being on a forum if you are unable to communicate respectively, unless it's a forum specifically for heated arguments.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff