Welcome to Gaia! ::

Super Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Noob

Honestly, I live in Toronto and I'm sick of seeing graffiti everywhere. To me, I see them apart of gangs and violence. It's like an act of marking their territory in my eyes.
HOWEVER, there are large murals where people have been HIRED to do large pieces of art throughout the city. Those I believe are beautiful, and yes, you can tell the difference between vandalism and art.

Charming Cultist

33,900 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
Sooo, commissioned or illegal?

Super Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Young Master Aibiki
Sooo, commissioned or illegal?
very illegal, but they do commissioned also on some videos

Super Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
YourMyAll_
Honestly, I live in Toronto and I'm sick of seeing graffiti everywhere. To me, I see them apart of gangs and violence. It's like an act of marking their territory in my eyes.
HOWEVER, there are large murals where people have been HIRED to do large pieces of art throughout the city. Those I believe are beautiful, and yes, you can tell the difference between vandalism and art.
Where is the thin line between vandalism and art?

Noob

Doctor TC

Quote:
van·dal·ism/ˈvandlˌizəm/
Noun:
Action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property.

art/ärt/
Noun:
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"

Vandalism is deliberately doing on something you're not supposed to be doing that on, basically. Those guys were drawing on bridges and trains I think it was, which, last I checked, isn't allowed, and they could of received a large fine if caught doing that. I believe graffiti, like the ones the guys were doing in the video, isn't art. Art is an expression of feeling or emotion, it tells a story. Art is unique in every way. Graffiti can express emotion, and I am taking art and I have done a few assignments on graffiti, but the ones the males in the video were doing isn't art.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

To the left is vandalism.
To the right is art.

Then again, this is just my opinion.

Super Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
YourMyAll_
Doctor TC

Quote:
van·dal·ism/ˈvandlˌizəm/
Noun:
Action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property.

art/ärt/
Noun:
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"

Vandalism is deliberately doing on something you're not supposed to be doing that on, basically. Those guys were drawing on bridges and trains I think it was, which, last I checked, isn't allowed, and they could of received a large fine if caught doing that. I believe graffiti, like the ones the guys were doing in the video, isn't art. Art is an expression of feeling or emotion, it tells a story. Art is unique in every way. Graffiti can express emotion, and I am taking art and I have done a few assignments on graffiti, but the ones the males in the video were doing isn't art.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

To the right is art.

User Image

This picture have creative skill and imagination right?User Image

(flickr)

User Image

Super Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Doctor TC
YourMyAll_
Doctor TC

Quote:
van·dal·ism/ˈvandlˌizəm/
Noun:

art/ärt/
Noun:

To the right is art.

User Image

(flickr)

User Image

Thos pictures are also vandalism,Action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property. so what would it be considered? ; - )

Noob

Doctor TC

Yes, that picture has creative skill and imagination. It's very well done.

Super Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
YourMyAll_
Doctor TC

Yes, that picture has creative skill and imagination. It's very well done.
heart

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Doctor TC
Doctor TC
YourMyAll_
Doctor TC

Quote:
van·dal·ism/ˈvandlˌizəm/
Noun:

art/ärt/
Noun:

To the right is art.

User Image

(flickr)

User Image

Thos pictures are also vandalism,Action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property. so what would it be considered? ; - )
Illegal
Cypae
Culture jamming is also considered vandalism but i think when skilled artists do it, it's funny. I think vandalism can also be art because it can express opinions and ideas.

graffiti is kind of wishy washy. Whenever I see graffiti text I just assume gangsta wannabe. At the same time, it's no easy task making pretty text with spray paint so I don't consider it to not be art, i'd say it's more typography, but I think if i saw it all the time on every empty wall, it would be really depressing, unless it was actually some sort of artistic scene.

art is subjective though biggrin

When we had to do culture jamming for school, something interesting did come up. How many shitty ads are we forced to see everyday? Just because someone has money, does that mean they are actually entitled to have more of a voice than everyone else? To me, if you have something to say and you are doing it illegally, it's not vandalism, it's a form of rebellious activism. I would personally like to see more of it, just because I'm sick of seeing ads all over that are just intended to make you feel shitty about yourself so you consume more.

ps--- this argument will not hold up in court biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces