Welcome to Gaia! ::

Question: What's the difference between "Arts - Visual" and "Arts - Visual (Studio Art)" and which do I pick?

Dapper Shapeshifter

Hey I'm in a split dilemma- I want to go to a college where the art instruction is strong, but I also want to major in one of the sciences. These are schools look awesome- this forum is really helpful and I've looked through a few.

However as art focused colleges, I'm not seeing anything else really offered but art classes. My mom made a point that it's a sort of silly to major in art since it's largely talent based, and I've heard when applying for jobs they look at your portfolio- not your school. But I'm still looking for good instructors, especially in animation or special effects.

By any chance does anyone know if any schools have a strong art program but offer the sciences as well?
des solo
Hey I'm in a split dilemma- I want to go to a college where the art instruction is strong, but I also want to major in one of the sciences. These are schools look awesome- this forum is really helpful and I've looked through a few.

However as art focused colleges, I'm not seeing anything else really offered but art classes. My mom made a point that it's a sort of silly to major in art since it's largely talent based, and I've heard when applying for jobs they look at your portfolio- not your school. But I'm still looking for good instructors, especially in animation or special effects.

By any chance does anyone know if any schools have a strong art program but offer the sciences as well?
A lot of the Big Ten schools have pretty strong art programs.
-Halo Fauna

Leaf

des solo

Carnegie Mellon. Look into their BXA degrees.
            long time no bump
Im looking into photography, Liberal Arts, and POSSIBLY film, but what I want the most is something that combines art/design with sustainability and ecology. Help?

Eternal Rogue

Legit bump.

Fashionable Noob

I have a couple of questions, what sort of pieces should I include for a design portfolio?
Should I mainly stick with traditional and/or add in some digital works as well?
Jazmin`
I have a couple of questions, what sort of pieces should I include for a design portfolio?
Should I mainly stick with traditional and/or add in some digital works as well?

I assume you are talking about graphic design, which happens to be my major also.

You should include pieces that demonstrate your ability to work with a wide variety of media. I even included sculpture in my portfolio (papier-mâché mask). Are you going into a design program for the first time? If you had assignments in high school, don't be afraid to include some personal projects as well. They are happy when they see projects done on your own time as well; it shows that you're not just going through the motions.

As for traditional/digital media, I'd say to include a mix. I myself had no digital works, but if you do, then it certainly gives you a leg up on the competition, so by all means. If you had design classes before, you can grab some pieces from there. If you have done artworks for other people, projects, or businesses (I have a T-shirt design under my belt, as well) they will also help a lot, regardless of whether they are digital or traditional.

I can't wait to start my classes, they begin on the 9th. I'm new to design as well but I have the utmost faith that it will turn out very well.

Fashionable Noob

Mademoiselle Richter
Jazmin`

Yeah Graphic design, I do have some high school work which I was going to include.
Thank you so much for the help.
Jazmin`
Mademoiselle Richter
Jazmin`

Yeah Graphic design, I do have some high school work which I was going to include.
Thank you so much for the help.

No prob. :3

Also, my school encouraged having works pertaining to the chosen major, but I had no design works at all (however, since you have had design classes before, by all means include those pieces). I will also add that they look for drawing skills and knowledge of the basics, so it's nice to have a healthy variety.

Fashionable Noob

Mademoiselle Richter

No prob. :3

Also, my school encouraged having works pertaining to the chosen major, but I had no design works at all (however, since you have had design classes before, by all means include those pieces). I will also add that they look for drawing skills and knowledge of the basics, so it's nice to have a healthy variety.

Yeah I am looking at doing digital media as my discipline.
I have a couple of programs I made for school so I will include those
as well as some template website designs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff