Welcome to Gaia! ::

Annie Felis
Bumping again, and adding something to the topic: if a school advertises on TV, you want no part of it. Good schools let you come to them. Scam schools spend money on commercials.

Agreed! Good schools are like good lawyers; they get around by word of mouth. (I know I'm pretty much just reiterating what you said, but I just thought this was a really good point and I'm glad you posted it).

5,300 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Annie Felis
Bumping again, and adding something to the topic: if a school advertises on TV, you want no part of it. Good schools let you come to them. Scam schools spend money on commercials.

Yes! Good point! Sorry, haven't done a good job of maintaining the thread much lately - school devoured me for the past month.
I'll add this to the first post smile
I know someone else posted this, but if anyone has any questions about MICA, feel free to message me. I'm about to be a junior there, illustration major.

By the way, the picture that is posted is of a dorm XD Idk if you were aware, but maybe a picture of the actual school buildings would be better? hahaha but it's your choice

If I find my old portfolio from hs, I will post it. Idk where the files are since I got a new computer, but I might have a CD somewhere. I guess you could use it for the schools I was accepted to (MICA, RISD, MIAD, MCAD, SAIC, KCAI, Otis) if you'd like. I will upload the images if I ever find them XD

Also consider adding Minneapolis College of Art and Design, maybe? It's a good school.

4,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
I'm glad there's a thread about this! I'm going to be a junior in high school, so college is looming in my future, and I have no idea what to do. I love art more than anything I'm aware of, but I'm scared that I'm not good enough (although if I told that to anyone they'd think I was being ridiculous). Also, I want to stay close to home, but I don't know about any of the good schools for art that are in Iowa... I really don't want to go out of state or be very expensive, cuz money's pretty tight.

Another thing I worry about is what kind of career I'll be able to get myself. I don't even know what I like doing best, as far as my style goes. Anyways... I've probably gone beyond the realm of this thread, but I'll just post this and see what happens, if anything. I've still got time. I hope. (!!!) lol

Aged Codger

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
I recently got in to SCAD. I was like " Yay me!" then they told me I got the hope, artistic and, academic scholarship. Again my reaction was "This is awesome!" . Now they tell me four days away from summer quarter that my tuition is STILL lacking funds. WTH SCAD why didn't you tell me this before! I can't get any private loans because I haven't worked long enough to get credit and I have no cosigner. Now I'm like "What the hell Ima do now?" crying

Eloquent Hunter

I'm surprised MIAD is up there. Going into my Junior year.

As a picky person, I'd say the illustration core faculty (ill. 1-4, seminar, pro practice) is pretty strong (and the teachers progressively become more and more demanding in terms of consistency and quality over the course of the program) but the administration/appropriation of funding is a ******** right now, if you'll excuse my French. Don't expect a lot of guest speakers (namely, because, let's face it: you're in Milwaukee).

Travel costs are horrendous if you drive (parking is like being robbed at gunpoint). They do give you a free bus pass, though.

They're incredibly generous with scholarships (most people I spoke to got at least a few grand, some got a huge chunk o' change) and being out of state is a bonus, sine I think they're trying to improve their national draw. They also have an amazing exchange program with the Weimar Academy (former Bauhaus) in Germany, though I unfortunately can't take advantage of it, myself.

I applied to quite a few schools, and MIAD was the only one that sent me a personalized acceptance letter. Thought that was pretty neat.

If I might add a piece of advice, there are a handful of schools that do not permit (or do, but simply don't often accept) transfer students.

Most schools are not one of them. I took my foundation year in community college, put together a portfolio from personal projects and school assignments, and got into every school I applied to with maximum scholarship. I'm throwing this out there, because, foundation year is practically the same at every school you go to. You take color and design, observational drawing, life drawing, 3D design and your basic art history prehistory-today survey course. Always check your school(s) websites to see what their year looks like, and ask about transfer opportunities if it isn't made clear on the website, but transferring is a very real opportunity, and is extremely viable if tuition costs are an issue.
I miss art school.

Any one have any questions for School of Visual Arts or New Hampshire Institute of Art, just ask. :]
Have you noticed that every single college here has the exact same rating? Four stars, unless I'm missing something XD

We should totally add at lest one of the Art Institutes to the list, just to balance it out.

5,300 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
SweetSugarCoat
Have you noticed that every single college here has the exact same rating? Four stars, unless I'm missing something XD

Yeah I was hoping people who'd contribute might share what star value they feel their school deserves. I guess I should've made that clearer. User Image
This thread has been so helpful. Seriously, this was an amazing idea!

Anywho, seeing as I don't see any reviews on this art program... would anyone by chance know anything about the art school at Iowa State University?

They're one of very few school that offers a undergraduate major in pre-medical illustration. I know that they are ranked second in the nation for this program (but than again, there are less than a dozen schools with this major). However, I don't know much about the art program in general. I'm visiting the campus in about a month, but I'm afraid they're just going to end up glorify their art school. And I really want an honest opinion, so I don't end up not feeling comfortable in my foundation/first year art classes. Or I just won't learn enough of the human anatomy before it comes time to take classes in pre-med illustration. Something harmful like that, you know?

If nobody knows anything about their art school, could anyone suggest any questions I should ask when I visit the school, that may be beneficial in learning more about their art school and how "good" it is? (I know asking for rankings would always be good, but they could easily just say that their art school is the best.) So maybe should I be looking for something when I visit? (Offer then students' works?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ugh, applying for college is right around the corner. So stressful. o__o

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
-bumps it off the 3rd page-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff