MlizGr
Thanks for sharing, added it to the post. biggrin
Sera Michaelis
For: Inking, Painting
Material type: India Ink
Brand: Speedball Super Black
Where to purchase it: Widely available
Price comparing to other brands: cheap
Pro: Ink is waterproof upon drying; dries quickly. Deep black pigment doesn't fade with time or lift from erasing. Can be used for drawing with nibs, brushes, or pens. Can also be used for ink painting when diluted with water and used with a brush.
Con: Not alcohol-proof, and may smear with alcohol-based markers unless a fixative is used.
Added. biggrin
Thanks!
Hansma
I personally feel that brushes are completely dependent on how you paint. What is perfect for me might be terrible for you. I buy brushes by touched their bristles and knowing what works for my style. I paint in layers and also with graphic lines so I buy the brushes that will do that for me.

Oh, one of the brushes I didn't know exist for a long time was a scriptliner. It has really long bristles and holds a lot of paint for doing line work. It is something everyone should have in their brush arsenal.
I see. smile I got to try the scriptliner, though it sounds like it can be harder to control.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Sera Michaelis
Look
Great review! Thanks for the input, I've added it to the list. biggrin

No problem, nice idea for a thread btw!

Agreed
For: Digital Work
Material type: Software program
Brand: Corel Painter
Where to purchase it: Corel.com
Price comparing to other brands: About $300 for full version of Corel Painter 11 (latest version); but if you have a previous version, it's $150 for the full upgrade.
Pro: If you were trained as a painter, you will most likely find this program very intuitive. It simulates many different mediums, and painting is "easier" than in Photoshop.
Con: Has wayyy less image editing capabilities than Photoshop. If you have the resources, it's advantageous to invest in both.
For: sketching/watercolor
Material type: Brush with a water dispenser in the handle.
Brand: Koi waterbrush- (x)
Where to purchase it: You shouldn't have to much trouble finding it in your local shop but it's also on sale on amazon.
Price comparing to other brands: avarage, a little under 10$
Pro: koi waterbrush is great when you're on the go. I use it to add a bit of volume and shade to my sketches, either by using a couple of watercolor crayons, or my col-erase (they have less pigment, but they still do a good job). Once you're done, just press the brush to get a couple of drops of water in the palm of your hand and wash it.
Con: Its material is synthetic and cheap, it's tip will get stained, but it still does a great job at what it's made for; a brush for quick watercolor sketches when you're away from home and all of your material.

Heck, here's an other one
For: sketching/3D
Material type: Software
Brand: Google sketchup
Where to purchase it: google sketchup is free!
Pro: Sketchup is 3D for dummies... really, really unintelligent dummies. It's mostly used to do mockups and it's great to layout a scene. Just lay out some blocks and basic models, turn around your scene to find a good angle and voila! you've got a great base for your drawing. Other then giving you a chance to explore your scene before committing to a final camera view, it's also great when you want to do several drawings, in different angles, of the same place while keeping everything accurately in place.
Google sketchup also has an extensive library of 3D items you can use to layout your scene and lets you share your own model with the rest of the community.
Con: It's no where near as powerful as other 3D software.

Aged Codger

Brand: PaintTool SAI
Where to purchase it: SYSTEMAX
Price comparing to other brands: About $63 USD, which is probably one of the cheapest digital art softwares you'll find. It's quite the deal considering it's capabilities.
Pro: Is quite useful in drawing neat and smooth lines, being more forgiving than other programs like Photoshop. Is actually affordable, and purchasing a copy means you've purchased 10 copies for 10 different computers. Brushes are simple yet customizable.
Con: Not as many tools, filters, bells and whistles as other programs. Developer has stopped working on it due to annoyance over piracy of his program. Has no CMYK support, and crashes/locks up at resolutions higher than 300dpi, so ultimately the program is not print-friendly.
Annie Felis
Brand: PaintTool SAI
Where to purchase it: SYSTEMAX
Price comparing to other brands: About $63 USD, which is probably one of the cheapest digital art softwares you'll find. It's quite the deal considering it's capabilities.
Pro: Is quite useful in drawing neat and smooth lines, being more forgiving than other programs like Photoshop. Is actually affordable, and purchasing a copy means you've purchased 10 copies for 10 different computers. Brushes are simple yet customizable.
Con: Not as many tools, filters, bells and whistles as other programs. Developer has stopped working on it due to annoyance over piracy of his program. Has no CMYK support, and crashes/locks up at resolutions higher than 300dpi, so ultimately the program is not print-friendly.
Added. Thanks biggrin
Freiheit
Thanks, added to the post. heart
Miri-love
Thanks, added to the post. heart

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Freiheit
Koi waterbrush- (x)