Welcome to Gaia! ::

This may sound pretty lame, but I have none.

Haha, how did you guys find any of your art friends? Or people of same interest? I'm pretty awkward when it comes to RL, and I didn't have any in school cuz they were all bio majors and what not. :/ So share some wisdom?

(Was it alright to put it in this forum? LOL.)

Oh, and what are your favorite artists? Or people that inspire/influence you?
Since I don't know many people who like art, I don't know many artists...
As of right now my favorite artists are eimi, Audrey Kawasaki, and Bec Winnel.
Same here. I mean I used to be in art school but I have no art friends, except my boyfriend but that doesn't really count lol

Charming Cultist

33,900 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
I have a few friends that do art, but non I specifically call my 'art friends.' I found them either through conversation on dA, or through the unnofficial IRC chat for the AD.

It'd be nice to have art friends, to do collabs and bounce ideas off of. But yeah, awkwardness and shyness make that hard.

Favorite artists: Mmm, I have a lot. But Glen Keane is on the top of the list. Along with a few I don't feel right mentioning, since they're more wellknown for their NSFW art.

Dapper Cultist

I have a ton of art friends, Im always meeting new people in the art department at my college and I am very active around my city with art related activities and you often meet many 'art types' at protests, which i go to a lot of.
Hey hun. Well, you gotta talk to people. Haha!

Friends who love and appreciate art I met along the way in college and when I started an art collective. Though they are not close friends, we share interesting finds we find inspiring with each other. I suppose there is a bit of 'fear of sharing' due to the person's own circumstances. But don't let that stop you from sharing what you know. smile

Do you stay in America? There are tonnes of art fests (zakka, crafts, mini exhibits... etc). Go out and explore!

I like Richard Thompson's work. More free and zig-zaggety lines are fun. Though minimalistic lines like Marc John's tend to tickle me once in awhile. smile

Some fun stuff:

http://www.junk-culture.com/

http://www.recyclart.org/
Well I just moved so I have no friends period lol. (*sob*)
BUT online its easy to make art friends! You just have to talk to people and get into conversations and be friendly. I met a lot of the art friends I have online I met through deviantart, groups, livestreaming, tumblr, etc. I think gaia has a great many artists here that would be great friend material. As creepy as me saying that might sound wow why did I write that. o3o

As far as in real life? Art fests happen in soo many places. Museums, events at the local gallery. You could take a figure drawing or crafts class and meet people there too.

Also, if you draw in public its like an invitation for people to talk to you out of nowhere. Seriously, I do it all the time haha. xD

Do you know of Stephen McCranie? He makes these crazy awesome artist advice comics that always inspire me. I go gaga over his content. Big fan. <3
s1gbin
Same here. I mean I used to be in art school but I have no art friends, except my boyfriend but that doesn't really count lol

Oh yeah!! I have my boyfriend, haha but he's a photography major, and all of his friends are photographers. :/ I wish I went to an art school too, agghh I'm so lame. OTL.
Young Master Aibiki
I have a few friends that do art, but non I specifically call my 'art friends.' I found them either through conversation on dA, or through the unnofficial IRC chat for the AD.

It'd be nice to have art friends, to do collabs and bounce ideas off of. But yeah, awkwardness and shyness make that hard.

Favorite artists: Mmm, I have a lot. But Glen Keane is on the top of the list. Along with a few I don't feel right mentioning, since they're more wellknown for their NSFW art.

Agh, man I don't even have that! Haha, I try to talk to people through DA but I don't get much feedback. -____-;;;;

I've just seen Glen Keane's work! I like them a lot, ohh, I'm curious about your favorite NSFW artist haha. I like Junko Mizuno too...although she's not really super NSFW o-o;
Vlad T
I have a ton of art friends, Im always meeting new people in the art department at my college and I am very active around my city with art related activities and you often meet many 'art types' at protests, which i go to a lot of.

You're so lucky! D: I took one art class last semester and I made some friends...but they weren't really art majors (of course!) xD; They ended up being psychology and business majors. :I I'm signed up for my city's art walk, and I'm going to post up some of my art, so I hope I meet some admirers and soon to be friends! Wish me luck, haha~
Fynadi
Hey hun. Well, you gotta talk to people. Haha!

Friends who love and appreciate art I met along the way in college and when I started an art collective. Though they are not close friends, we share interesting finds we find inspiring with each other. I suppose there is a bit of 'fear of sharing' due to the person's own circumstances. But don't let that stop you from sharing what you know. smile

Do you stay in America? There are tonnes of art fests (zakka, crafts, mini exhibits... etc). Go out and explore!

I like Richard Thompson's work. More free and zig-zaggety lines are fun. Though minimalistic lines like Marc John's tend to tickle me once in awhile. smile

Some fun stuff:

http://www.junk-culture.com/

http://www.recyclart.org/

I dooooooo, I guess no one thinks me interested. xD; I'm pretty random at times so I guess only certain people like me? I'm sort of out of college right now too :/ so I'm trying to find people through tumblr or DA, but alas...still no one. xD; Haha, I'm the type that doesn't like to jump into conversations between other people, agghh, I don't like to be a bother. D:

Oh sweet! I'm writing them down to check it out, and thanks so much for the links. biggrin DD
Cryptic_Ink
Well I just moved so I have no friends period lol. (*sob*)
BUT online its easy to make art friends! You just have to talk to people and get into conversations and be friendly. I met a lot of the art friends I have online I met through deviantart, groups, livestreaming, tumblr, etc. I think gaia has a great many artists here that would be great friend material. As creepy as me saying that might sound wow why did I write that. o3o

As far as in real life? Art fests happen in soo many places. Museums, events at the local gallery. You could take a figure drawing or crafts class and meet people there too.

Also, if you draw in public its like an invitation for people to talk to you out of nowhere. Seriously, I do it all the time haha. xD

Do you know of Stephen McCranie? He makes these crazy awesome artist advice comics that always inspire me. I go gaga over his content. Big fan. <3

DD: Awww, where did you move to and from? crying I hope your search goes well~
Are you kidding me?! I find it incredibly hard to interact with people online. xD; It seemed like people already had big groups and what not, fuuuu. I'm surprised that this thread alone got so many replies already. *3*';; It made me really happy, lolol. I try making friends on tumblr and DA D: but nobody really replies to me or finds me interested. So I'm trying here in Gaia, haha.

I guess I was looking for a particular person? D: Like an art friend into anime and stuff like that. I go to a few art related events, but a lot of the artists are very much into different things that it's hard to click.

Oh! I'm gonna check out his work, I'm totally into comics and advice. xD Thanks!
Kohng

DD: Awww, where did you move to and from? crying I hope your search goes well~
Are you kidding me?! I find it incredibly hard to interact with people online. xD; It seemed like people already had big groups and what not, fuuuu. I'm surprised that this thread alone got so many replies already. *3*';; It made me really happy, lolol. I try making friends on tumblr and DA D: but nobody really replies to me or finds me interested. So I'm trying here in Gaia, haha.

I guess I was looking for a particular person? D: Like an art friend into anime and stuff like that. I go to a few art related events, but a lot of the artists are very much into different things that it's hard to click.

Oh! I'm gonna check out his work, I'm totally into comics and advice. xD Thanks!

I moved from Maryland to sunny old Jacksonville Florida. I love the weather and stuff! But talking to no one but family - wow it drives you bananas. xD I just graduated so its so weird. How do adults make friends geeze!

Sometimes I want to elope to art school just so I can meet some artsy friends or heck any friends at all! haha.

I have the exact same problem on tumblr and DA. And in the forums it feels like, to me at least, its really hard to insert yourself as a known person into a social group. But I guess its good to remember that no relationship ,online or offline, is instantaneous. It takes a lot of good conversation and just genuine interest in a person to build into something like that.

Oh you like comics? Me too! biggrin
But yess he talks a lot about procrastination and inner art demons and paving your own road to your artistic goals. A lot of it is so spot on that I have to read it more than once. And I watched his interview - he seems very soft spoken but in my opinion he seems like a cool person too. I like good artists with equally nice personalities.

Ohh but now I'm rambling. Yeahh. :p
Cryptic_Ink

I moved from Maryland to sunny old Jacksonville Florida. I love the weather and stuff! But talking to no one but family - wow it drives you bananas. xD I just graduated so its so weird. How do adults make friends geeze!

Sometimes I want to elope to art school just so I can meet some artsy friends or heck any friends at all! haha.

I have the exact same problem on tumblr and DA. And in the forums it feels like, to me at least, its really hard to insert yourself as a known person into a social group. But I guess its good to remember that no relationship ,online or offline, is instantaneous. It takes a lot of good conversation and just genuine interest in a person to build into something like that.

Oh you like comics? Me too! biggrin
But yess he talks a lot about procrastination and inner art demons and paving your own road to your artistic goals. A lot of it is so spot on that I have to read it more than once. And I watched his interview - he seems very soft spoken but in my opinion he seems like a cool person too. I like good artists with equally nice personalities.

Ohh but now I'm rambling. Yeahh. :p

I know! I graduated so my social life is close to none, haha! I think I only know working and Internet. -_-

Yeah you're right, its just... Soooo hard haha. Like, you want to join in the fun but can't, idk OTL.
I need to check him out, right now I'm in the library so I might do just that, haha. And same! I love artists who are sweet people. I met one of the artists that I looked up to and she was pretty snobby that I immediately lost interest -_-

And it's cool to ramble! I do the same. XD

Edit: I just saw your deviantart and omg, why are you even talking to me -_- lol your art is amazing! X)

7,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
Yes I do have art friends but not within even a month we some what become art enemies.

It drives me crazy but then again it give me a piece of what an art rival is and how in dept with the art I get with them.

Every now and then those enemies desolve into art friend's where I learn some of there art style and apply it too my own. Sadly over time my art friend's lost there talent's and I was short on nothing to work on,even to this day I don't have a clear art friend.

I do draw in a semi animaish it's okay but I do wish I had a stable art friend.
meta-madness
Yes I do have art friends but not within even a month we some what become art enemies.

It drives me crazy but then again it give me a piece of what an art rival is and how in dept with the art I get with them.

Every now and then those enemies desolve into art friend's where I learn some of there art style and apply it too my own. Sadly over time my art friend's lost there talent's and I was short on nothing to work on,even to this day I don't have a clear art friend.

I do draw in a semi animaish it's okay but I do wish I had a stable art friend.

Agghh, I had a friend like that...I was really close with her but then she started criticizing me...saying that because I don't spend a lot of time on my artwork, means I'm not a real artist. :/ She became incredibly rude and now we don't speak. I can't even go to the art building at my old school without getting stares and glares from her friends and herself. -_-; Ugh, haha.

I wish I had a stable art friend too. D: I hate how competitive art people get sometimes and start putting themselves on pedestals.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff