Welcome to Gaia! ::

1 100.0% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 9 ]
1 2 >

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good art books that can teach me how to draw? I'm a beginner and I just want to improve. I've looked through the art resources sticky thread but quite a few of the websites are no longer available and/or it's assuming that I already know how to draw relatively well. Plus I prefer books vs websites but if you know any good ones I'd be grateful.
Thank you in advance.

7,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Hmm are you looking to improve traditional style or ??

Tiny Friend

I dunno what kind of art you're looking to learn but I'll throw this out there:
Avoid any "How to Draw..." books, especially cartoon-related. They tend to be low quality in terms of what they actually teach you, and also teach a lot of bad habits.

Tipsy Lunatic

9,100 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Invisibility 100
Yup, I'm seconding Hoshimi Ritsuon post in avoiding those types of books; I'm just now trying to unlearn like 10 years of using those books as guides! xD

I don't know of many books to help you out, but I hear Drawing From The Right Side of The Brain by Betty Edwards thrown around a lot, so I'm going to check that one out. smile
I'll be lurking this thread as well biggrin I don't really use books, but I would like to get a few of the higher recommended ones. I know that books on anatomy are beneficial, but I don't have any specific books to link D: Other books on composition, form, values, etc. would be excellent for a drawing beginner, but again I don't have anything to recommend o.x
THIS thread might be of use to you. I'm not sure which book would be most suitable for a beginner though so stick around for some more replies.
Aureilias
THIS thread might be of use to you. I'm not sure which book would be most suitable for a beginner though so stick around for some more replies.

This is great biggrin Thanks! *readreadread*

edit: also, lol'd at your signature
Aureilias

Thanks, I'll read through the thread.

And by beginner I guess I mean perspective, foreshortening, shading, contours, etc. Pretty much the bare bone basic stuff that everyone should know.

4,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
LOOMIS BOOKS. Books by Andrew Loomis (especially Figure Drawing for all its Worth) are possibly the best learning tools out there.
I was lucky to find some vintage copies from the thrift store, but they are also available online in pdf form here. They recently came back into print but are a bit pricey(not that it isn't worth it, but I'm poor), so you can also buy them in print if you prefer.
Just be sure to avoid getting the versions that are labeled "by Andrew Loomis and Editors Of Walter Foster," as they are abridged versions that cut out a lot of of indispensable information.

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
Loomis is probably pretty good. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is also good.

My advice is don't be discouraged if you find art books that cater to drawing real people or the real world. I know that some people tend to go right for the stylized art. However, it's not usually the best in terms of your overall artistic development. Draw what you like, but also don't forget to practice. Think of learning to draw as a skill like any other. You gotta build up the basics and learn your scales before you can play in an orchestra.
Also do you guys think it's good just to start drawing a lot and try and muddle your way through without any real direction/teaching or to do a lot of reading and tutorials and then start?
A lot of people have just told me to just draw, a lot.
Indirect Object
Also do you guys think it's good just to start drawing a lot and try and muddle your way through without any real direction/teaching or to do a lot of reading and tutorials and then start?
A lot of people have just told me to just draw, a lot.

That's what I'd suggest. Just start drawing, from life, from imagination, from tutorials. Don't get bogged down in technical jargon until you come upon something you really want to learn. Don't even bother with anatomy until you've drawn your classmates from life being silly.

Interesting Dabbler

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I can recommend three books, that can be helpful for both starting off and as being beneficial references in the long run.

Sarah Simblet's Sketchbook for the Artist and her Anatomy for the Artist. I cannot stress how awesome these books are. Her sketchbook one is probably the one I would definitely recommend to you. She breaks down mediums and lessons to learn perspective/shading etc.

Mark Simon's Facial Expressions: A Visual Reference for Artists. Another excellent resource, in my opinion. I need to use these three more than I do. sweatdrop

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
Artistic Anatomy by Dr. Paul Richer.
my art teacher is sworn by this book and says its the best that he's come across through his years. i personally like it. it helps me a lot in understand the body.
Ulterior_Motives
That's what I'd suggest. Just start drawing, from life, from imagination, from tutorials. Don't get bogged down in technical jargon until you come upon something you really want to learn. Don't even bother with anatomy until you've drawn your classmates from life being silly.

That's what I'm doing now but wouldn't that be re-enforcing bad habits? Like if I draw something incorrectly and keep drawing it wrong it's just going to get harder to fix later on?

@ everyone: Thanks for the book recs I'm looking into them!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff