Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
Is anyone else a junior/senior taking AP Studio Art? Or have taken it?
If you are, do/did you like the course? Or are/did you getting frustrated?
What are you doing for the concentration?

I'm the only one in my school taking AP Studio Art. It's the first year it's run, so I guess I'm kind of a guinea pig. I'm on the concentration section now, but I'm actually going to take next week to go back in my breadth pieces and improve them.

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm taking AP art now; I'm a senior. I guess I like it alright. My class isn't particularly stimulating, though. My class is basically three classes squished into one room, so it's difficult to get all that much feedback. I have all my breadth done since I took some summer classes.
My concentration is basically about my fascination with what people perceive as physical flaws and imperfections. I don't think my work is reflecting my ideas at all though booooo. emotion_8c I do have eight pieces done though.
I'm also a senior currently taking AP art. I guess I like it so far. I started my concentration recently too. My most frustrating experience so far is having to finish three pieces this past week, in which I had a break from school. To make an explanation short, I'm slow and take my time.
My concentration is about environmental issues and how they could affect the future. It's very different from the rest of my class, their topics seem to seem to all be on a more personal level.

Sparkly Fatcat

Unfortuantly, I never gt the chance to be in studio art. -sigh- Only because, in my school you need to take 3 or more art classes to be in it, and I only took 2. Buttttt, a few of my friends were in it, and they told me that it was awesome. If only I could go back in time. :l

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
Atomic Octopus
I'm taking AP art now; I'm a senior. I guess I like it alright. My class isn't particularly stimulating, though. My class is basically three classes squished into one room, so it's difficult to get all that much feedback. I have all my breadth done since I took some summer classes.
My concentration is basically about my fascination with what people perceive as physical flaws and imperfections. I don't think my work is reflecting my ideas at all though booooo. emotion_8c I do have eight pieces done though.

Does your teacher help you and give you feedback as well? Oh cool. What kind of summer classes did you take?
That sounds like an interesting topic. Very different from what I've heard that other people do/have done.
Good for you. Eight pieces is a good amount to have done. I think I have maybe four or five done, because I m concentration was phobias, but I decided I couldn't really think out of the box with that one, so I switched.

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
xXBattyx4xBloodXx
I'm also a senior currently taking AP art. I guess I like it so far. I started my concentration recently too. My most frustrating experience so far is having to finish three pieces this past week, in which I had a break from school. To make an explanation short, I'm slow and take my time.
My concentration is about environmental issues and how they could affect the future. It's very different from the rest of my class, their topics seem to seem to all be on a more personal level.

Ugh, yeah. I've had this week off too, but I've only been working on one which I'm not too happy with. emotion_8c Haha yeah, it's good to take your time though. Do you find that when you do this and take your time, you have less mistakes in the end you had to go back and fix?
That seems like a good topic to do c:
How maybe other people are in the AP class with you?

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
N u c l e a r Deathbat

Eh, my teacher doesn't give me much feedback. Neither do my classmates. I went to MICA precollege so I got pretty much all my breadth out of the way there.
A girl in my class was actually doing phobias for her concentration before she switched to "twisted fairy-tales" (the twisted fairy-tale thing seems pretty overdone nowadays, imo). What did you change your concentration to?

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
Atomic Octopus
N u c l e a r Deathbat

Eh, my teacher doesn't give me much feedback. Neither do my classmates. I went to MICA precollege so I got pretty much all my breadth out of the way there.
A girl in my class was actually doing phobias for her concentration before she switched to "twisted fairy-tales" (the twisted fairy-tale thing seems pretty overdone nowadays, imo). What did you change your concentration to?

That's not good. Do you push for feedback and people just don't give anything useful? Or do they just plain out not say anything?
Oh good. Yeah, pre college programs seem helpful. I got a scholarship to go to one at an NH art college, but I toured the college and hated it, and they didn't have any classes left that sounded interesting to me, or would help me much. And I got accepted to another one, but didn't end up going to it.
Yeah, I agree. That does seem overdone nowadays .-.
I switched to self portraits that give off something to do with identity and such. I really, really enjoy doing self portraits and other observational work, and I thought that my pieces could be much stronger with this subject instead of phobias. Because everything that came to mind when I looked a phobias was all so literal, and the AP people don't want that.
N u c l e a r Deathbat
xXBattyx4xBloodXx

Ugh, yeah. I've had this week off too, but I've only been working on one which I'm not too happy with. emotion_8c Haha yeah, it's good to take your time though. Do you find that when you do this and take your time, you have less mistakes in the end you had to go back and fix?

Aw, what is yours on? I usually make less mistakes when taking my time. I find that I am more satisfied with pieces that I finish. Though I can't take too much time otherwise I get more frustrated. >.<
Thanks, I thought it would be good since many issues are related to one another. And there are about 14 or 15 other students in my AP class, big compared to previous years. A big class is good when doing critiques xD

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
xXBattyx4xBloodXx
N u c l e a r Deathbat
xXBattyx4xBloodXx

Aw, what is yours on? I usually make less mistakes when taking my time. I find that I am more satisfied with pieces that I finish. Though I can't take too much time otherwise I get more frustrated. >.<
Thanks, I thought it would be good since many issues are related to one another. And there are about 14 or 15 other students in my AP class, big compared to previous years. A big class is good when doing critiques xD

It's a self portrait. It's a painting, and I don't paint well in my opinion, but I still like to paint. The colors look all wrong to me and it's different than what I imagined it would come out as.
Yeah, same with me when taking too much time. I don't want to look at it anymore. Eventually I come back to it, but I cringe when I look at it again.
Wow, that's a large class. Does your school have a good art department? Are there many kids who are really interested in art?

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
N u c l e a r Deathbat
Atomic Octopus
N u c l e a r Deathbat

That's not good. Do you push for feedback and people just don't give anything useful? Or do they just plain out not say anything?
Oh good. Yeah, pre college programs seem helpful. I got a scholarship to go to one at an NH art college, but I toured the college and hated it, and they didn't have any classes left that sounded interesting to me, or would help me much. And I got accepted to another one, but didn't end up going to it.
Yeah, I agree. That does seem overdone nowadays .-.
I switched to self portraits that give off something to do with identity and such. I really, really enjoy doing self portraits and other observational work, and I thought that my pieces could be much stronger with this subject instead of phobias. Because everything that came to mind when I looked a phobias was all so literal, and the AP people don't want that.

Yeah, I try to ask for feedback, but my teacher sugarcoats it so much there really isn't a point. Critiques with classmates also turn into a** kissing sessions so I feel like the class bad guy when I give someone a bit of constructive criticism. Oh well. gonk

I like that idea, I really like self portraits as well. Phobias, though interesting, could be taken pretty literally.
N u c l e a r Deathbat

It's a self portrait. It's a painting, and I don't paint well in my opinion, but I still like to paint. The colors look all wrong to me and it's different than what I imagined it would come out as.
Yeah, same with me when taking too much time. I don't want to look at it anymore. Eventually I come back to it, but I cringe when I look at it again.
Wow, that's a large class. Does your school have a good art department? Are there many kids who are really interested in art?

Is your whole concentration self portraits? I like painting too, I also don't think I paint well. sweatdrop I'm in a class for painting as well and am currently using oils.
And that's exactly my feeling, I hate when I lose motivation for a piece more.
And yeah the art department is good, lots of students interested in art or just taking classes on a whim. We have Studio in Art which is required for everyone, Drawing, Painting, Advertising, Illustration, Art History, Photo 1,2, & 3, Sculpture, Ceramics, Fashion Design, Portfolio Prep, AP art, and I think that's all of them. Many of them are only half year courses though. I love this school for the art classes <3

Beloved Poster

I'll be taking AP when I'm a senior~ :'D
So I've got the rest of this year and then junior year to go~ xD
But from the looks of this thread, it's waaaay more complicated of a class than I anticipated. D:

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
N u c l e a r Deathbat

I took this class senior year! It was really fun, but SUPER stressful. I don't know how your class is set up, but in mine we had to hand in a project a week! It was crazy. My concentration was magic, so I got to do some really fun pieces. I felt as though that class was a lot of work, but definitely very rewarding. Hope you enjoy it!

Dapper Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Atomic Octopus
N u c l e a r Deathbat

Oo phobias sounds like such an interesting concentration!! She should have stuck with it! Someone in my class did fear for her concentration, and it was pretty good, but I like the idea of phobias better because there's more specificity, and it just seems like it has so much more potential.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff