Welcome to Gaia! ::

Uronoro
User Image No need for citations? Maaan, and here I put on my big kid gloves for nothing. Time to go back to the academic kiddie pool. rolleyes

The topic is shoddy and overdone, and the answer is obvious. To say anime contains no amount of art is something said by a troll. The only reason why it is disliked is because its become over popular and over copied. It's best if we don't do your homework for you.

And I bet if you nab some good sources on animation and throw in a citation or two you'll get brownie points from your teacher.

Troll? No, you're likely to get that from an art teacher/instructer. They tend to have a major bias against anime and manga artwork, and not for completely undo reasons. A lot of high school teachers especially find their students wanting to do nothing but copy, eyeball or trace screenshots from their favorite anime, without trying to broaden themselves. And by broaden I don't mean stop doing what they love, but they refuse to even try to improve what they've chosen to draw.

My HS art teacher was fine with his students drawing manga, so long as they tried different styles, mediums and used it as a vehicle for learning anatomy (which is what it did for me). My college professor, however, saw no value in it. Why? because he assumed it was all, as I've said, shovel faced moe girls. My friends and I brought in some of our favorite artbooks in various styles, and even he conded that there is a lot of effort and talent in many of them.

So in conclusion, not everyone who says it's not art is a troll
i have no desire to take anyones work, i just wanted to hear peoples views on the matter. (strictly) thanks for those who are trying to cooperate...

and i mean anime as a whole, which manga i feel falls under. the general) big eyed...sharp chin, colorful hair. i hoping to get some haters of the art style so i can here where they're coming from...no bashing each other...tho i feel everyone will be on the same side....and thats fine too =)

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
princetrickz
i have no desire to take anyones work, i just wanted to hear peoples views on the matter. (strictly) thanks for those who are trying to cooperate...

and i mean anime as a whole, which manga i feel falls under. the general) big eyed...sharp chin, colorful hair. i hoping to get some haters of the art style so i can here where they're coming from...no bashing each other...tho i feel everyone will be on the same side....and thats fine too =)

Anime and Manga are completely different. :/
@ OP: you'll need educated facts to back up your defense. especially if it's for school. you can use our theories and opinions as back up for your research in this forum, but only as just that.

I can tell you straight up that "Anime" is the eastern equivalent for "cartoon".

manga, is the eastern translation of "graphic novel." we Americans and others who share the same term call them "comic."

As far as style goes, that common style found in both east and western cultures goes back to their historical roots. you might need to do some art history on Asian art and see the influence carried over throughout the generations.

Tipsy Fatcat

Try comparing Japanese anime with other animations that were considered highly artistic using the elements and principles of art. Also, try to find some great artist that where inspired by anime work. smile
wow some poeple are very rude arent they razz

i will actually give you an opinion on this without attacking you lol. I love anime and it definately is art! one thing i hate about "art" is that someone can literally paint a canvas all one colour and have it be a famous artwork lol. Creating any image IS a form of art, even a scribble. I personally love anime and it is not an easy drawing style. My art teachers always told me not to draw anime as it's a "waste of time" but i honestly think that its amazing. there is a whole art behind the creation of anime, beautiful artworks, and has an insanely hugeee following. so yes, it is a form of art! how can a drawing not be art, yet photography is? very weird lol
princetrickz

So you're just questioning whether the art styles found in anime and manga, is art, right? Not so much anime as animation or manga as comics or sequential art, but just the particular drawing styles found in anime and manga.

To answer your question, yes, I do believe that the art styles found in anime and manga can be used to make art. Yoshitomo Nara and Takashi Murakami are probably the two most popular artist that have proofed that the style can be used to make art that is worthy enough to hang in the world's top museums. Does it validate all the high school students who feel that they should be able to only draw in an anime/manga style, if they want? No, I don't think it does. The art you make as a student is often used to assess your proficiency in a certain method, style or technique. As a student, it is your job, and in your best interest, to do the assignments exactly. If you think it's unfair, then you really shouldn't be in the class.
what are some of your favorite manga/animes? and artist styles and such?

Friendly Browser

7,150 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
everything is art nuff nuff

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

princetrickz

Anime=animation, manga=comic book.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces