Welcome to Gaia! ::

In a relationship with her cat

Shy Gawker

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Deadline: March 12th, 2014

Welcome, bbs, to my first art contest! I am proud to announce that this art contest is themed around the comic book I am writing, "Geek Rapture". "Rapture" is about an apocalypse where only the non-geeks disappear from the world, leaving the population decimated but nerdy. Cities shrink in size as people radiate towards working power plants and structures they can keep running. There also begins to be a segregation by level of geekiness and fandom. So, yes, it's also a bit of a parody.

My plan is to scatter beautiful fanarts on the Facebook fanpage leading up to the crowdfunding campaign.

FAQ

we'll go get some coffee. If anything bad happens... to you... well. we'll be getting coffee.

Do you also do the art for the comic?
          I do not! I have hired a very lovely artist~

When is the Kickstarter happening?
          In the spring of 2014, probably around March.

Where can I find this magical thing?
          Right here!

heart

Shy Gawker

rules
          you know what the chain of command is? it's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here.
          heart

Follow the TOS. Nothing risque, and, obviously, don't claim others' artwork as your own.
          Be pleasant to each other. Chat, bump, do what you like, but be NICE about it, please!
          I have final say in all matters inside this thread.
          You may enter as many times as you like. Grand, second, and third places will probably not win any of the smaller characters prizes as well but it could happen.
          Use the form to enter your art. Do not PM, please.

more like guidelines
          parlay?
          heart

Feel free to ask me anything. Really! It's better to ask and get to know the world/character.
          Know if you're willing to share your artwork with the world. It's there in the entry form, and not optional. I need to know if it's okay! You will be fully credited under whatever name you desire. In fact, interested artists can even apply to have their artwork used as a Kickstarter incentive.

Shy Gawker

prizes
          a diamond in the rough
          heart

Le Grand Prize
          20mil pure

Second Place
          10mil pure

Third Place
          5mil pure

Most True To Character: 1mil pure
          Mini-contest entries may also win this.

Most True To World: 1mil pure
          Mini-contest entries may also win this.

Best Original Outfit: TBA

❤ Other prizes will become available in other categories as they become relevant (for example: "Best Joan" will be added if there are 3 entries of Joan).

❤ Prizes subject to change. By which I mean: go up. Or add items.

Shy Gawker

joan
          heart

PLS NOTE THAT JOAN IS MUCH HEAVIER THAN THE REF PIC ON THE SIDE

JOAN is cute and plump and Hispanic. She's quite short, at 4'9". Her black hair is a tiny bit wavy at the bottom and goes to about her shoulders. She has dark brown eyes. At the convention, she wears a "The Brotherhood of the Remarkable" t-shirt (parodying "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" comic font), and jeans with Mary Jane shoes without heels.

About

Joan was almost exclusively raised by her brother Michael because their mother was always busy at several jobs. They escaped into geeky imaginations together, but then Michael met Lucy and fell in love. Lucy wasn't into any of that stuff, so Michael gradually dropped it all in favor of keeping up his relationship, causing Joan to resent Lucy strongly for 'stealing' her brother. She now works at a law firm doing data entry, saving up all her money to go to conventions and buy geeky stuff to adorn her apartment. She dreams constantly of breaking away from it all, and of life being grander, but never has the gumption to do anything about it.

Joan's Pinterest board.

real llife face model: America Ferrera

Other art of Joan: x + x + x

Reference art by Misharoyuki.

Shy Gawker

shawna
          heart

SHAWNA is tall and slender, with a girl-next-door attractiveness. She stands 5'6". Her hair is straight, brown and long past her shoulders. She has green eyes. At the convention, she's dressed in costume as Double Agent: a sexy black body-suit with yellow trim and a short jacket styled like the top of a 70s trenchcoat.

About

Shawna attends convention in cosplay or as a "booth babe", standing near people's booths dressed up to attract attention. This often has her being called out as not being a real geek, but just posing. The truth could not be more opposite: Shawna is a huge comic and superhero fan, and she also enjoys YA (including Twilight). She believes everyone should be able to like what they like and, in an argument, sometimes ends up swearing like a sailor.

likes: comics, young adult fiction/movies, Twilight, cosplay, superheroes
          dislikes: being called "fake"

Shawna's Pinterest board.

Other art of Shawna: x + x

Reference art by Misharoyuki.

Shy Gawker

holly
          heart

HOLLY is a modest looking older woman (late 30s to 40s), who's a bit on the chunky side but healthy. She has blonde hair to her shoulders that curls slightly in and uses bifocals.

About

While she attends conventions, her husband goes on his own trips -- leaving her alone to nerd out. She is a friendly, perky, woman who enjoys dissecting conversations and social statuses.

dislikes: noisy vehicles, skimpy superhero designs

Holly's Pinterest board.

Important note: Holly is AN OLDER WOMAN. Please make her look so.

vera
          heart

VERA's Asian and pretty, with long black hair and black eyes.

About

likes: action movies, tough guys, knitted hats (she is NEVER WITHOUT A KNITTED HAT), weapons, Mickey
          dislikes: anime, having it assumed she's into anime, Eric

Vera's Pinterest board.

Shy Gawker

hadley
          heart

HADLEY is 5'4". Heart-shaped face, cute, freckled-- and a huge, loud punk. Hadley has short asymmetrical black hair and loves her clothing to also be asymmetrical, baggy, and mismatched. She's a make-up artist, so knows how to look pretty, though. Or scary.

About

Hadley lives with cystic fibrosis while trying to become a makeup-artist. She's worked with Andrew before on his web series.

likes: loud music, video-games, playing with make-up, doing other people's make-up, saying '******** you' to her illness
          dislikes: being considered 'disabled', people who mince around their feelings, the color pink

Hadley's Pinterest board.

mickey
          heart

MICKEY is 6'0". A very handsome African American. Does not look geeky in the slightest and rides a motorcycle even. He has leather jackets and big boots. His shirts are more likely to be sloganed for obscure bands. He has very short shaved black hair.

About

dislikes: assholes

Shy Gawker

andrew
          heart

ANDREW is a spindly, brown-haired young man, in his late 20s, who wouldn't stand out in a crowd. He's 6'0".

About

Andrew produces his own web series (Dudes With Cameras) on the side of his boring office job, trying to get popular enough to break out for full-time and become 'internet popular'.

eric
          heart

ERIC is a big Viking of a man: tall, pale, with blond hair.

About

Eric is an aspiring comic artist, but he can't manage to do anything original; his work is always derivative of whoever is his current idol. He and Shawna used to date, but he kept calling her 'fake' and challenging her geekiness and she broke up with him.

dislikes:

Shy Gawker

mini-contests
          heart

✭ art

The power of Heart. Using any of the characters, interpret the theme as you will.
          Show a character with something they love? Using the power of friendship?
          Dressed up as a Planeteer? Ripping the beating heart out of a Trekkie?
          Show me those hearts. emotion_bigheart

theme: "The power of Heart."
          deadline: March 1st.
          prize: 500K

✭ writing

Not so much with the drawing arts? Then try writing something! I'm looking for small snippets of stories about other geeks in this new, apocalyptic, universe ruled by fandoms.

❤ Entries should be about original characters of the author, not mine.
          ❤ Make up what you think the world might be like, or ask me for details!
          ❤ Please specify if you are willing to have your work shared on Geek Rapture's Facebook page.
          (if you refuse, that will NOT affect your chances at winning)

theme: Any.
          deadline: March 12th.
          prize: 5mil

✭ signs

Looking for the best, geekiest sign you can manage!

❤ Sign should read "I survived the Geek Rapture".
          ❤ Geeky/cosplay clothing encouraged!
          ❤ Please specify if you are willing to have your sign posted on Geek Rapture's Facebook page.
          (if you refuse, that will NOT affect your chances at winning)

theme: Any geekiness.
          deadline: March 12th.
          prize: 1mil

Shy Gawker

entry form
          heart

[quote="Mikosama"] Check out my arts! [/quote]
          [b][color=orange]Username:[/color][/b]
          [b][color=orange]Subject of entry:[/color][/b]
          [b][color=orange]Link to entry:[/color][/b]
          [b][color=orange]Permission to share this entry on Faceook:[/color][/b] Y or N
          [b][color=orange]If Y, name to credit:[/color][/b]

mini-contest entry form
          heart

[quote="Mikosama"] Check out my mini-contest entry! [/quote]
          [b][color=orange]Username:[/color][/b]
          [b][color=orange]Mini-contest:[/color][/b]
          [b][color=orange]Link to entry:[/color][/b]
          [b][color=orange]Permission to share this entry on Faceook:[/color][/b] Y or N
          [b][color=orange]If Y, name to credit:[/color][/b]

Shy Gawker

entries
          heart

Holly (1)

Username: Ryuzuki_Rui
          Subject of entry: Holly
          Link to entry: http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y441/ryuzuki_rui/Draws/holly_zpscb136648.png
          Permission to share this entry on Faceook: N
          If Y, name to credit:]

Joan (3)

Username: colonel cupcakes
          Subject of entry: Joan
          Link to entry: artsu
          Permission to share this entry on Faceook: Y
          If Y, name to credit: Taylor Cassidy

Username: Nyem-Nyam
          Link to entry: http://i.imgur.com/Fe3dBC1.png
          Permission to share this entry on Faceook: Y or N
          If Y, name to credit: leomio.tumblr.com (link to the art blog if possible)

Username: dhampir_princess
          Link to entry: [Click Here]
          Permission to share this entry on Faceook: Yes
          If Y, name to credit: dhampir_princess

Shawna (1)

Username: Lurulu
          Subject of entry: Shawna
          Link to entry: http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6816/4bhr.jpg
          Permission to share this entry on Faceook: Y or N
          If Y, name to credit: Casey Fagnant

Vera (1)

Username: Crescent the Grumpy Bunny
          Subject of entry: Vera
          Link to entry:Sketch sketch
          If Y, name to credit:Crescent s. Moon

signs
          heart

Username:Rosie Senpai
          Mini-contest:Signs
          Link to entry:Geeks Survived
          If Y, name to credit:If it on FB you can tag my FB if you like...Rosie Senpai real FB

Shy Gawker

affiliates
          heart

Links In

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-contests/the-rapture-is-coming-50mil-mini-contests/t.89023883/][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19038604/bac/artcontest-banner.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-contests/the-rapture-is-coming-50mil-mini-contests/t.89023883/][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19038604/bac/artcontest-banner-sm.jpg[/img][/url]

Links Out

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
          User ImageUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
          User Image

Shy Gawker

reserve heart

Shy Gawker

reserve heart

Divinity in Motion's Honey Bun

Shy Strawberry

heart heart

Quick Reply

Submit