Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

Please give a <3

About The Contest
Welcome to Sat-Yuga Studios' third major gaia art contest! I'm Bribble, and I'll be running this contest with my Fiance and co-writer, Pierat7.
Our past art contests were all for art of our characters from our Webcomic, Collideoscope. Well, sadly, we're through with Collideoscope. The good news is, in its place we have just begun a new graphic-novel style webcomic, The Lattice Grimoire! And what do we want to celebrate this new comic? You guessed it! Art!

Contents
1. About/Contents
2. Rules
3. Prizes and Categories
4. Characters/World
5. Entries, How to Enter
6. Monthly Mini Contests
7. Ranks of Nobility, What they are, and How to Get Them
8. Links In and Out
9. Tally of Current Entrant's Ranks

Deadline is November 1st, 2012 However, there are a lot of mini-contests and ways to get prizes in between, so don't be discouraged by the long wait.

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

Rules
1. The main contest ends November 1st, 2012. Mini contests are one per month with the deadline on the last day of the month.
2. Follow the ToS with regards to mature content, referencing other people's images, and thread etiquette
3. Art has to be of my characters, not my avatar. Any one or more of the characters will do, doesn't have to be a main character, but keep categories in mind when you decide what to draw. Try seeing which categories don't have many entries, for a better chance to win
4. You can win multiple prizes, so do lots of entries! Each entry can only win one prize, unless it's a mini contest prize. Mini contest winners are still eligible for main prizes!
5. Each entry can win up to two times, once in the monthly contest and once in the main contest.
6. PM entries to Mint-Cloud. Entries submitted in the thread, or PMed to Bribble will still be accepted, but it helps to have them all in one place, so Mint-Cloud is the place to go!
7. All entries, whether they win or not, are mine, useable by me in any way I choose. They are also yours, in the same way that any fan art would be (meaning the art is yours to do what you like with, but you must credit me with the characters).
8. Please, no use of bases or dolls for this contest.
9. Feel free to ask questions about the characters, the world, or even for suggestions if you're having trouble making a decision on something.
10. IMPORTANT: PLEASE either use original costume designs or ones from the comic. DO NOT COPY FROM ANYONE ELSE. If you do have an idea for a cosplay entry or something like that MAKE SURE TO SAY WHERE THE IDEA CAME FROM.

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

First placeUser Image Angelic Pendant
Second placeUser Image Shibuya Nobody
Third place User ImageWinged Anklets

Multi-Character prizes
Best Couple User Image The Lovers
Now, since I'm not coming right out and telling you which characters are going to be romantically involved, you have both a difficult task and a lot of freedom rolled up into one. Read the comic, get a feel for the characters, and then... ship. That's all I can say. As long as your art is good and explores both characters' personalities, then it can win, whether it manages to touch on a canon couple or not. (Note: same-sex couples are okay, but remember, it's a Victorian setting, so this isn't a concept to take lightly)
Best Interaction User Image Baby Seal Slippers
This prize goes to someone who is able to capture an interaction between any two characters. It can be any type of interaction, whether it be friendly, romantic, or unfriendly, but either way, it must be portray the way the characters feel about each other, as well as make good use of body language and expression
Best ConflictUser Image Ancient Katana
Rivals. Lovers fighting. A battlefield. Whatever you pick, show some antagonism, some conflict, some struggle.

Best Background User Image Happy Capsule
Well, rather than background, I mean setting, because it really shouldn't just be a backdrop. The character should be part of the world, not pasted in over it. This prize goes to someone who does this well.
Best SceneUser Image Gogh Reed
Show something happening. It doesn't have to include more than one character, it just has to have some meaning behind it, something that could be a still from a movie, or an illustration in a book, or... wait for it... a frame from a comic.
On Broadway User Image Bass Hero
Check out our playlists for our characters and do some art inspired by one of the songs. Make sure to pair up songs and characters correctly!
Nosebleed prizeUser Image Alruna's Rose
Something sexy! Can be of a male or female character since we have a male and female judge. Whichever art manages to catch BOTH of our attention in this area must be really hot razz
SweetestUser ImageDainty Porridge
Something that's utterly cute, either in appearance or thought. Something precious, charming, and just sweet!
Most EmotionalUser Image Tragic Tower
Expression, body language, lighting, angle, there are a lot of ways to make a piece emotional. The piece that pulls it off the best wins this.
Most ExpressiveUser Image Angelic Manner and User Image Demonic Style
A piece that really gets a point across, really communicates what's going on in the character's head or heart.
Writing User Image Kiki Kitty Plushie
Write us a scene that could potentially happen within this universe. It can be a prediction or a side-plot, just make sure it's in keeping with what you know about the characters. Feel free to ask questions if you're not sure your idea is okay.
Best ComponentsUser Image Secret Retreat
Best picture of Verity, Sean, Blake, Devan, or Patrick
Best King's Men User Image Compass of Seidh
Best Picture of Remington, Cullen, Ann-marie, Dariana, Brendan, or Jim
Best Odds and Ends User Image Oilstained Conductor
Best picture of Daisy, Marcellus, Atish, Christiaan or Amy
Best Out of Time User Image Imaginary Friend
This prize goes to someone who manages to keep the core aspects and appearance in of a character or characters in tact while superimposing them onto a different time period. Can be future, past, or another country, just anything that isn't Victorian England. Changing characters' outfits to fit the time or place you choose is encouraged, as long as the character is still recognizable
Best SteampunkUser Image The Watchmaker
The Lattice Grimoire takes place in a Victorian-style setting, but the steampunk aspects of it are subtle at best. Take the Victorian aspect and blow it into a more steampunk style and you can win this prize.
Grimoire Award
Most Awesome OutfitUser Image Lady Justice's Armor
Just as it sounds, a prize for the best costume design. This can be within a bigger piece, or can be simply a reference sheet for one of the characters, but remember, if it's in a bigger piece it may be eligible for other prizes as well.

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image
User Image User Image
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image
Please note: These are not the only characters in the comic by a long shot, nor are they the only important characters. These are merely characters who show up early on, and whose importance I am not worried about giving away. You may, however draw ANY of the characters in the comic regardless of whether or not they are shown here if you are looking for a challenge.

User Image

The Lattice Grimoire takes place in a fictional country called Morland, which is very similar in style and technology level to Victorian England (victorian steampunk is also very welcome in entries). It is almost always raining in Morland, though really it is a country with all four usual seasons. The landscape varies from coastal cliffs and beaches to rugged mountain ranges further inland, though there are some nice fields and rolling hills somewhere in between. Morland also has a lot of large lakes and thick pine forests.

The capital, where most of the story takes place, is a city called Keyston, where the king resides in Radbourne castle. Morland is an old, well-established country with a strong military, but they value exploration and innovation more than military prowess for the most part. Morland has been a sea-faring country for a long time, but only just discovered the potential of air travel, which they love. They border a country called Ruthaine, with whom they share a tentative truce from a long-standing war. Ruthaine is much like an older, more traditional, less innovative version of Morland, and it values appearance and social standing even more highly than Morland does. Most of Morland's societal ideals are also similar to those of Victorian England, but if you have any questions on something specific, then please ask.

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

Entries so far: 52

Entry Gallery

PM entries to Mint-Cloud. Entries submitted in the thread, or PMed to Bribble will still be accepted, but it helps to have them all in one place, so Mint-Cloud is the place to go!

Use this entry form:
Username:
Name to credit: (for when I display the art places, the name I tell people "this art is by___". You may use your gaia username, dA username, or real name, whichever you choose)
Entry:
Referred by:
Intended Category: (this is optional)
Comments:

Much of our criteria for judging has been outlined in the categories section, but here's a link to another
Guide to winning art contests

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

So, every month we'll be hosting a few mini contests with a monthly theme. Entries submitted during the month will be eligible to win a prize at the end of the month. Monthly contest winners are still eligible to win any of the main contest prizes. Also, do not feel discouraged if you don't win a monthly contest! Winners will be chosen largely based on how well they fit the monthly theme along with the other criteria, and the main contest prizes each have their own different qualifications, so failing to win a monthly contest by no means says that you won't win a prize in the main one.

The winner of each of these categories will be awarded a September 2012 letter, and everyone whose entry follows these themes will be awarded 5 points in addition to any other points their entry may qualify for (see later post for info on points)

Drawing any of the following will also earn you 5 points in addition to other points you may qualify for, as well as make you eligible for each of these prizes:

But in any case, October has only one Mini Contest, which is Halloween!

Also, anyone who turns in a completed entry of which they had previously turned in a WIP will get 10 extra points.

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User ImageSo what do we have here? It's a little complicated, but please stay with me and read through, because you will benefit from it immensely in the getting-free-items department.

Basically, we have a system for earning points. Each of you start at 0 and may accomplish any task from this list in order to earn the number of points for that task. Every hundred points you level up, and gain a new "Rank of Nobility". The person with the highest rank at the end of the contest wins the Grimoire Award, which is the highest priced item in the whole contest, even above 1st place. And it doesn't even really require you to have any artistic skill either! In addition, each level you get 100 credits. Each credit is worth 1 gaia cash which I will spend to buy you something from the cash shop. So if you have 250 credits (at level 3, presumeably), I will buy you a monthly letter, etc.

IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, PLEASE ASK ME TO CLARIFY. I don't want anyone missing out on this.

Category 1: Points for Entries
20 points for every entry
+10 points for your first entry each month
+10 points for the first entry of the month
+10 points for your first entry in a category (please fill in the "intended category" section to be counted)
+10 points for the first entry in a category(please fill in the "intended category" section to be counted)
+10 points for your first entry of a character
+10 points for The first entry of a character
+5 points for following a monthly theme/mini contest
+5 points for a collaboration entry
+5 points for drawing something referencing something that happened in the comic this month
+5 points for every character in your entry after the first one

All of the +s are cumulative, and stack on top of one another. So if you were the first person to enter the contest at all and you entered a specific category AND followed a theme, you could get 85 points in one go wink

Disclaimer: we will not award points to any art that isn't obviously related to this contest or if you clearly didn't put any effort into it (this is only to prevent masses of really horrible drawings designed only to collect points. Please try to win as well!).

Monthly Modifiers
There are no prizes for these, but you will get an extra 5 points for drawing them

Character of the Month
Pairing of the Month
Theme of the Month
Event of the Month

Category 2: Points for Site Stuff
10 points for submitting a community mini-contest idea
20 points to the most active conversationalist each week (announced on Friday)
20 points for every month you advertise us in your signature
20 points for every month you advertise us in your thread
40 points for any advertisement outside of gaia (dA, etc.)
50 points for every person who joins The Lattice Grimoire group on deviantART and submits their entries to the gallery
20 points for every entrant that says they were referred to the contest by you
40 points for the first person to post on page 50, 100, and every hundred after that. Every person who has earned points before said post happens gets 10 points also.
Undisclosed number of points given out at random for successful avatar cosplay of Lattice Grimoire or Collideoscope characters

All advertisements must be up for a month in order to get points. Another month will provide another round of points. Advertisements must be working links and cannot be hidden.

Category 3: Everyone Wins Points

Every time this entry counter bar fills up, everyone who had earned points previously gets 10 points

First contest got 102 entries. If we beat that EVERYONE who has earned any points previously gets 102 points. (that's an automatic level up)

When we reach page 50, 100, and every hundred after that, everyone who has previously earned points gets 10 points

1 level every 100 points

Levels:
0. Commoner
1. Gentleman + Lady --& may start spending points
2. Esquire
3. Knight +Dame
4. Knight of the Realm + Dame of the Realm
5. Baronet + Baronetess
6. Baron + Baroness
7. Viscount + Viscountess
8. Count + Countess
9. Marquis + Marquise
10. Duke + Duchess
11. Grand Duke + Grand Duchess
12. Archduke + Archduchess
13. Prince and Princess
14. King + Queen
15. High King + High Queen
16. Emperor + Empress
17. God + Goddess

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-contests/the-lattice-grimoire-millions-in-prizes-monthly-contests/t.75689871/][IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/bribble/Lattice grimoire banners/artcontest.jpg[/IMG][/url]

User Image

User Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Current Ranks of Participants:

Level 0:
Commoner CoCo Poco: 40 Points, 0 credits
Commoner Peri Chance: 50 points, 0 credits
Commoner Kirakirariko: 50 points, 0 credits
Commoner pamiichigo: 65 points, 0 credits
Commoner LadyMatrona: 65 points, 0 credits
Commoner Aococoa: 90 points, 0 credits
Commoner Abria: 95 points 0 credits
Commoner X e r x e s s: 50 points, 0 credits

Level 1:
Lord Shto: 105 points, 100 credits
Lady Keiyani: 110 points, 100 credits
Lady Ziarinaa: 130 points, 100 credits
Lady xBurgerQueenx - 145 points, 100 credits

Level 2:
cowie-blue Esquire: 265 points, 200 credits
Noryoku Kiyama Esquire: 230 points, 200 credits
Kitara44 Esquire - 280 points, 200 credits

Level 3:
Dame Romesilk - 300 points, 300 credits
Dame meowmeowkitty: 325 points, 300 credits

Level 4:
Dame of the Realm Clockwork Mouse - 430 points, 150 credits

Level 8:
Countess Tanabata Wish - 835 points, 50 credits

Level 9:
Marquise Chiara20 - 920 points, 150 credits
Marquise Neehole: 985 points, 0 credits

Level 17:
Goddess Shiblets: 1700 points, 1450 credits

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Have some extra advices for a reward for reading the whole page:

As for interactions and scenes I'd like to see:

1) a group shot of Verity, Blake, Patrick, Devan, and Sean all hanging out (those 5 specifically). Doing pretty much anything together. Playing cards is high on my list of activities I'd like to see them doing (or only a few of them playing cards if 5 is too overwhelming. That would be cool too)

2) Remington with a unicorn. No matter how many people do this, I will still want more.

3) Anything involving Verity and Stars, or verity and stained glass windows. OR BOTH.

4) Always up for Blake or Marcellus playing the piano. OR either of them playing with the other listening critically. OR them both playing together, somewhat competitively. Verity can also be listening.

5) Also always love images of Verity looking out the window at rain (another one I'll never get tired of). Her playing in the rain is also quite approved of.

6) Any of the characters in alternate setting attire (modern, a different time period, fictional world, etc.) This one is a full on category, but I felt it bore mentioning.

7) Marcellus, Christiaan and Atish together being buddy-buddy

cool Masquerade shenanigans

Also, I always am wanting images that relate to songs. I'm also very open to people choosing songs on their own and telling me what made them think of it.

Character Playlists

These songs have something to do with some aspect of the characters they are listed with. It might be the character's relationship to someone else, his thoughts about himself, another person's thoughts about him, or relating to a specific event. There's no penalty for ending up with a different take on it than I originally intended.

Kill the Messenger by Jack's Mannequin "It's not as cold out here, but come quick, I am losing feeling" -- Patrick
Leave out All the Rest by Linkin Park "I'm strong on the surface, not all the way through. I've never been perfect, but neither have you" -- Patrick
Crashin' by Jack's Mannequin "Even if your voice comes back again, maybe there'll be no one listening. Even if you find the strength to stand, it doesn't mean you won't go missing" -- Blake
Happiness Loves Company by The Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stop marching, 'cause you think you shot to number one, counting days and skipping your stones into the sun." -- Blake
Release Me by Jack's Mannequin "I've been running such a long time. I've been hiding from the truth. I've been battered, been broken, been buried, now I'm death-proof." -- Blake
Elvenpath by Nightwish "It's the honesty of these worlds, ruled by magic and mighty swords, that makes my soul long for the past." -- Devan
Resolution by Jack's Mannequin "And you hold me down, and you've got me living in the past." Devan and Blake, about an event they share in their pasts
Dead to the World by Nightwish "All the wars are fought among those lonely men, unarmed, unscarred" -- King Remington
Runaway by Ladytron "When you feel like everyone wants to kill the unicorn, where you waking up today, my little runaway?" -- Amy
Dead Boys Poem by Nightwish "Never sigh for better world. It's already composed, played, and told" -- Marcellus
Brand New Day by Ryan Star "I've stayed in one place for too long, gotta get on the run again. I saw the one thing that I want, hell-bent, get out of bed." -- King Remington
Destroy everything you touch by Ladytron "Destory everything you touch today. Destroy me this way. Anything that may desert you, so it cannot hurt you." -- Marcellus to King Remington
My Immortal by Evanescence "You cried, I'd wipe away all of your tears, you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears" -- Verity to Patrick
Anywhere Is by Enya -- "I wonder if the stars sign the life that is to be mine, and would they let their light shine enough for me to follow" -- Verity

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Pie is here!

Obsessive Entrepreneur

15,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
So Bribble what is going on here?