Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you're interested in doing art for me, now that my contest is over, please visit my new art request thread! If you have a WIP from the contest, then you should definitely stop by!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

Welcome to my (puntastic) art contest! This is my 3rd solo art contest and it's also my largest yet! In this contest you can win tons of fabulous prizes for drawing my characters and avatars!

7/01/07

Noraboo

Hello everyone, the prize ceremony is over! Thank you all for joining my contest; I appreciate it so much, and I hope that you've had as wonderful a time as I have.

I will post up a list of the winners, including those who won for two extra categories I added and honorable mentions. You can also check out my post history if you'd like the blow by blow or to see any specific commentary. I will start verifying names and sending out prizes tomorrow (7/02) morning and should have it done by tomorrow evening. If for some reason you do not receive your prize, or get the wrong one, or some other bizarrity, please let me know and I'll fix it ASAP!

Contest winners, courtesy of `E c h e v e r i a

Running Recap~!
-- -- -- Fun Categories -- -- --
Most Creative
Winner -- Loz.x
Best Chibi
Winner -- joke-mus
Hon. Mention -- shortpinay
Cutest Yeti!
Winner -- Florentine
Hon. Mention -- Firinafel
Hon. Mention -- lonelightangel
Hon. Mention -- Zvonimir Stojkovic
*Funniest Entry (2)
Winner -- Taiji-ya-san Kiraneko
Winner -- Kimiteru
*Best Environment (2)
Winner -- Taiji-ya-san Kiraneko
Winner -- ~Stars of Destiny~
-- -- -- Main Categories -- -- --
Yeti & Kerchief
Winner -- Clarion
Runner Up -- Vena
Hon. Mention -- Follow the Wind
Hon. Mention -- Nopenname
Best Zhanna
Winner -- Zenia Wulfe
Runner Up -- lemongelo
Hon. Mention -- Uzumaki
Hon. Mention -- GatitaGirl
Yeti Queen
Winner -- `Champagne
Runner Up -- Enigmatic Phantasm
Hon. Mention -- Skjeve
Hon. Mention -- p o c h i
Best Panda with Leaf
Winner -- follow the wind [two]
Runner Up -- Zvonimir Stojkovic
Hon. Mention -- telekiT__Ty
Hon. Mention -- [.kiyu.]
Best Icy Nora
Winner -- [ . Mirage . ]
Runner Up -- Alexandrea Zenne
Hon. Mention -- Navidian
Hon. Mention -- a p o m i x
Grand Prize
Winner -- Jipsey

*Bonus Categories
Ceremony started on pg 1271
Grand prize announced pg 1307

6/29/07
Noraboo

Hi everyone! Just a note that the prize ceremony will be this sunday evening at 8pm. This means July 1st, 8pm EST, which may or may not be at all like where it is where you live!

I will be traveling during the day but barring any disasters should be home with plenty of time to prepare, so please come by if you are free then to cheer on all the fabulous participants in my contest!

6/25/07
Noraboo

Contest is over!

Please please please double check to see if your entry is there (after about 15 minutes or so).
Make sure to hard refresh the page since my crappy gallery program likes to cache things.

If your entry is not there, please repost it and remind me, and I will accept it and add it! (please don't abuse this by trying to sneak in something you didn't really enter earlier though). If possible, please link to the page where you first posted your entry, although please do not kill yourself trying to search through the whole thread for the page.

I will judge this week and I will attempt to hold the prize ceremony within a week from today (possibly either this friday or sunday depending on my schedule and how hard you've made judging!)

I will let you all know by, umm, thursday when I will hold the ceremony.

/end edit

Bumpers, chatters, and random passerby are always loved! I've met lots of great people through my contests, and I hope this one will be no different. ^_^

I may add more prizes and catagories as the contest goes on, so check back to see if anything new shows up that sparks your interest.

Please take a look around. If you are interested in entering, please make sure to read the FAQ, as it is very important!

Remember, the contest is free to join, there is no entry fee!

If you do decide to enter, please use the entry form and post it in the thread. PMing me with entries is very discouraged as I may lose the PM or confuse the art with a commission or gift. I do not take responsiblity for entries that are missed because they are PMed.

Please use the following form when submitting your entry:

If I have missed your entry and you have reposted, you may now PM it to me, as there have been some issues finding posted entries due to the volume of posting. ^^;

Quote:
Artist Name: The name of the person entering goes here

Entry: link to your submission goes here. please make the filename your username and the number of your entry. for example the name would be username3 if you have already submitted two entries and are submitting a third.

Subject: which avatar/character you drew

Media: mixed, colored pencil, CG, whatever!

Extras: just in case you want to add something

[b]Artist Name:[/b]
[b]Entry:[/b]
[b]Catagory:[/b]
[b]Media:[/b]
[b]Extras:[/b]

Table of Contents:
  1. Introduction
  2. Contest Duration and Prize Ceremony
  3. Prizes: What you can win!
  4. FAQ-Very Important to read!
  5. Categories pt. 1 Aka, what you are drawing!)
  6. Categories pt. 2 More fun things you can draw!)
  7. Entry Form & Entries Gallery
  8. Links Out: Come here if you want to link to me!
  9. Links In: You link to me, I link to you!
Contest Duration

The last day to submit entries is June 25th, 2007.

This means I will accept entries until 11pm eastern standard time (EST) this Monday the 25th!

I will NOT accept late entries! Please understand that this is in order to be fair to everyone involved, and please do not put me in an uncomfortable position by trying to submit an entry after the end time. ^^;

If you are not sure about time zones, google them, or look at this:

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/

Prize Ceremony

The prize ceremony will be no less than one week from the final end date, and no more than 3 weeks from the final end date, the specific time depending on my schedule and how hard you make this for me! But regardless, I will not p***y foot around, but will do my best to make the ceremony prompt after the end of the contest.
Prizes

(click the letter to get the latest marketplace value)

Grand Prize

November 2003 Letter
User Image

Main Catagories

Best Icy Nora
June 2004 Letter
User Image
Icy Nora Runner Up
March 2005 Letter
User Image

Best Panda with Leaf
August 2004 Letter
User Image
Panda Runner Up
October 2005 Letter & June 2006 Letter
User Image & User Image

Best Yeti Queen
March 2004 Letter
User Image
Yeti Queen Runner Up
June 2006 Letter & July 2006 Letter
User Image & User Image

Best Zhanna
June 2004 Letter
User Image
Zhanna Runner Up
March 2005 Letter
User Image

Best Yeti & Kerchief
September 2004
User Image
Kerchief Runner Up
October 2005 Letter & November 2005 Letter
User Image & User Image

Fun Catagories

Cutest Yeti
March 2006 Letter
User Image

Best Chibi
March 2006 Letter
User Image

Most Creative
March 2006 Letter
User Image

If you're not sure what's in those letters, look no further!

November 2003 = User Image or User Image

March 2004 = User Image or User Image

June 2004 = User Image or User Image

August 2004= User Image or User Image

March 2005 = User Image or User Image

October 2005 = User Image or User Image

November 2005 = User Image or User Image

June 2006 = User Image or User Image

July 2006 = User Image or User Image
FAQ

If you are unclear about anything in these guidelines or think that something is missing, please let me know!

Rules FAQ:

1. All art submissions and thread conduct must abide by the Gaia Terms of Service.

2. All prizes will be given out so long as there are qualifying entries. This means that if I do not receive any chibi entries, I won't be giving out the prize for the chibi catagory (makes sense, no?). And so on and so forth for any catagories that I may add.

3. All art must be original & created by the submitting user. Art theft will be disqualified and treated according to the Gaia ToS.

4. Heavy references, for example where the art cannot be clearly distinquished from a trace, may be disqualified for originality at my discretion, even if they are not considered art theft by Gaia.

5. Please do not PM me entries. Entries that are not posted in the thread with the entry form provided may be overlooked or considered ineligible if I miss them. Should I miss your entry, though, please do repost it politely or post linking me to where you originally posted. I'm not omniscient and I mess up sometimes, so give me a helping hand. XD

6. Collabs are accepted. All involved artists must post stating they agree to the submission. Should a collab win, one person must be selected by its entrants to receive the prize. I am not responsible if your partner is not trustworthy and takes your part of the prize.

7. You may enter as many times as you like in as many catagories as you wish.

8. It is possible to win in multiple catagories. I will award prizes to the entries that are most worthy, even if this means someone winning in more than one catagory.

9. Dolls or other art made on prefab bases are not accepted, even if you created the base yourself.

10. The character/avatar must be recognizably my own, although I welcome creative changes (see below).

11. Entries must be received by the end date, or WIP entries by the end of the WIP flex period (see contest duration section). Late entries will not be accepted out of fairness to other entrants.

General Guidelines & Helpful Hints!

1. All medias are loved! Hate CG but love your colored pencils? Think you can ink but can't color? Don't worry about it! All media types are accepted, and entries do not need to be colored. Inked, screentoned, or sketched entries are equally valued and have just as good a chance of winning as a colored entry.

2. The same goes for art styles! I love realism, comic book, semi-realism, anime, you name it! So don't sweat it if you draw in an unconventional style or one that may not be too popular on Gaia. Chances are I'll love it.

3. Creativity is prized! Please do not feel compelled to draw an avatar too literally. Creative touches, such as tweaking clothing design or changing accessories, clever settings and scenarios, or the like are a sure fire way to get my attention.

4. Please be polite! If you have a concern or a question about an entry, a problem with another user, or anything similar, please take it up with me or the user in private. This especially goes for prize awarding time. Not everyone can win, and judging is a subjective process. You are free to disagree with my choices, but please do not do so in my thread or at the expense of others in it.

5. I may add extra catagories as the contest progresses, or suprise catagories/honorable mentions when giving out prizes. So keep your eyes open!

About Judging & Critera:

1. Judging will be done by myself. I may solicit imput from friends, especially if I am very conflicted about a catagory or entry, however in the end all final decisions will be my own.

2. I judge based on two areas, techincal skill, and subjective appeal. I prize technically skilled pieces, however this must also be balanced by how well I feel the piece portrays my characters and the overall imagination of the piece. People are free to disagree with my choices, however please remember that these are my characters and avatars (as well as my prizes!), and as such I may appreciate a piece more or less than someone less familiar with the characters would.

Categories Pt. 1

Please note that for any of these avatars, girls curlz red can be substituted in place of the wildflower hair if the artist wishes. Example on my avatar base (this avatar is not eligible for the contest however).

Please remember that reference images are only there to offer inspiration, not to be exact indicators of how you should draw. Use your imaginations!

Panda with leaf:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image

One day Nora bought the sacred leaf. Messing around, she equipped it with her panda hat, and then got an idea. And thus her leaf-eating panda hat was born! The panda should be drawn eating the leaf or involved in leaf eating in some way. Either of the above avatars can be drawn for this catagory. (she doesn't have to be drawn as chibi, that's just what most of the references happened to be)

References: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Yeti Queen:

Noraboo, Queen of the...Yeti?

Loving, caring, surrounded by adorable, fuzzy yeti? Cold and distant but fiercely protective? It's all up to you! Draw as many yeti as you want, and free to move them about, you don't need to stick to just their positions on the avatar. I'd prefer the scarf not cover her face, but feel free to play around otherwise!

References: 1, 2, 3. 4

Yeti & Kerchief:

Just a girl and her pet yeti, doing what everyone does with their yeti! Picnicing, walks in the park, snuggling on a cold winter day. Maybe the yeti isn't always adorable and fluffy, though. You never know. >.>

One thing people always ask with this avatar is if they have to draw the boquet (as it does tend to get in the way of nora/yeti snuggling action!), and the answer is no, you can leave it out, you can incorporate flowers in some other way, whatever strikes your fancy. And you don't need to keep the same exact colors as the avatar (it's nicer when the sweater matches the kerchief anyway!)

References: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Categories pt 2.

Both of the following characters were originally Gaia avatars that then I kinda.. expanded on a bit. I refined some of the details about them, gave them a bit of personality, and now I consider them gaia inspired OC's.

For each I will link to a short text page with information on them, including character details and a bit of personality information to give you a feeling for them. I'm not a writer, so please humor me and my lame descriptions. ^^; In addition to the 'best references' included in the links I've also linked to a number of other examples that I consider to be among my favorites, so you can get a feeling for them more. Please read the descriptions, though, since some of the details in the references may be off, and I value accuracy.

Icy Nora:

Details and Personality: Click me!

References: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Zhanna:

(except she should have blue eyes. ^^; )

Details and Personality: Click me!

References: 1, 2, 3, 4
Entries

Please use the following form when submitting your entry:

Quote:
Artist Name: The name of the person entering goes here

Entry: link to your submission goes here. please make the filename your username and the number of your entry. for example the name would be username3 if you have already submitted two entries and are submitting a third.

Subject: which avatar/character you drew

Media: mixed, colored pencil, CG, whatever!

Extras: just in case you want to add something

[b]Artist Name:[/b]
[b]Entry:[/b]
[b]Catagory:[/b]
[b]Media:[/b]
[b]Extras:[/b]

I will save all entries and upload them to a gallery, so you will not need to keep your entry hosted after I see it. If I have missed your entry (as sometimes the pages move fast) then please repost it. <3

Gallery of Entries! <-- Click!
Link to me!

[url=http://tinyurl.com/n2l5s][img]http://tinyurl.com/esres[/img][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/n2l5s][img]http://tinyurl.com/ms7mw[/img][/url]

and for ease in my own linking:

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17904739][img]http://tinyurl.com/esres[/img][/url]

[code][url=http://tinyurl.com/n2l5s][img]http://tinyurl.com/esres[/img][/url]
Affiliates

If you would like to swap links with me, please post your link in the thread and I will link to you. Make sure to link back to me!

If you do not see your shop up, please let me know. I have a lot of affiliates and I am trying to weed out old or dead shops, so I may take yours out by mistake! If so, just repost and I'll add you back.

]User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Mages, Fae's, Teachers, Students, Gargoyles and Pilots.... OH MY!

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces