Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Phantom

OH GOSH this voting is killing me x.x how many people are you eliminating?
Brosephiine
WOW. China's piece is beautiful!
I'm not surprised to see so many votes.

I am sad though because my semi-realism is not very popular. emo

Thanks.

Aww, don't feel sad. I like yours, but it's so hard voting. That head angle is amazing!

Timid Explorer

Brosephiine

If you don't mind a small critique. (I wish I could get one XD)
I think it may be that the woman and the background don't really feel as if they are one piece, and more as if she was taken and just pasted on to a background. Also it lacks the complete range of possibilities with shadows and tones that would make it pop out more. A huge example is there's no shadow on the rock she's sitting on. Even just that small thing would help to know where she is in the space of the background.

If you just practice more with colors and keep in mind that the background and figures should work together and not separately, your work would totally improve greatly. I hope that made sense, I'm not the best at explaining things and I hope it doesn't sound rude or anything. I always worry about pissing people off so I rarely critique. x.x

Generous Phantom

oh oh oh do me, do me! Critique me emotion_awesome

Genius

This is the coolest idea ever ever ever. Can I hang with you cool kids?

I have no idea who to vote for though, Australia isn't a happening thing D':
I think everyone's stuff is so cool though, so cool.

Ember Caster's Kouhai

Death Surgeon

48,850 Points
  • Academic Hero 500
  • Ultimate Alliance 500
  • Stone World 500
Etoile Celeste
heart
Etoile!!! Long time no see girl! surprised when did you stop being a mod?

Timid Explorer

MarukawaBubbleGum

Haha!
Okay I'll do my best.

I enjoyed your use of colors and the background is probably what most caught my eye when I saw it because it's just so interesting. Your tones work well with your style though it's quite possible to add some darker tones for more depth, though I do enjoy the light feeling of this. I'd say the thing that stands out most to me that could use improvement would be some areas of her anatomy that aren't too proportional. And.. it seems her arms are just a tad too long comparing them to the rest of her body.

I hope that was okay. sweatdrop

Timid Explorer

F Scott
This is the coolest idea ever ever ever. Can I hang with you cool kids?

I have no idea who to vote for though, Australia isn't a happening thing D':
I think everyone's stuff is so cool though, so cool.

I am sure it's fine for you to hang out here. ^^

Playful Hellraiser

14,650 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Bookworm 100
Mei Tsui
Brosephiine

I think it may be that the woman and the background don't really feel as if they are one piece, and more as if she was taken and just pasted on to a background. Also it lacks the complete range of possibilities with shadows and tones that would make it pop out more. A huge example is there's no shadow on the rock she's sitting on. Even just that small thing would help to know where she is in the space of the background.

If you just practice more with colors and keep in mind that the background and figures should work together and not separately, your work would totally improve greatly. I hope that made sense, I'm not the best at explaining things and I hope it doesn't sound rude or anything. I always worry about pissing people off so I rarely critique. x.x

I don't mind. c:

Yeah, the background is meant to bring the whole feel of the piece together,
but I missed those small things. I was gonna go back and fix them,
but real life happens and I just never got around to it. sweatdrop

Though I chose the colors specifically. I didn't shade her much because
I wanted her to be pale. There's a number of reasons why she doesn't have
full lighting/shading and most of it had to do with the way I wanted the picture to feel.
I was going for more... whimsical and dream-like.

Naw. Not rude at all. c:

@hpanna;; Thank you! : D I used to be terrible with angles like that.
Anatomy classes ftw, I learned tricks. <3
I actually got a commission that the person wants me to turn into a tutorial too
specifically for those angles. xD Should be fun to do. c:

Genius

Mei Tsui - you drew America right? Gosh I loved the cowgirl's expression so much. >w<

I hope next round I can join up, it seems like fun.

Timid Explorer

Brosephiine
Mei Tsui
Brosephiine

I don't mind. c:

Yeah, the background is meant to bring the whole feel of the piece together,
but I missed those small things. I was gonna go back and fix them,
but real life happens and I just never got around to it. sweatdrop

Though I chose the colors specifically. I didn't shade her much because
I wanted her to be pale. There's a number of reasons why she doesn't have
full lighting/shading and most of it had to do with the way I wanted the picture to feel.
I was going for more... whimsical and dream-like.

Naw. Not rude at all. c:

@hpanna;; Thank you! : D I used to be terrible with angles like that.
Anatomy classes ftw, I learned tricks. <3
I actually got a commission that the person wants me to turn into a tutorial too
specifically for those angles. xD Should be fun to do. c:

Indeed life can get in the way. XD
I actually wanted to do a lot more than I did with mine. sweatdrop

Whimsical can be tough. Whenever I do stuff it tends to come out too bland even if I'm trying to get a specific feeling through colors. I think even going for whimsical though it could still have a full range of tones but then there are bright areas that are more vibrant and stand out a lot? Unless I'm imagining a wrong type of whimsical. xd Not sure. But I guess that's how I would go about it.

I also liked the tilt of the head in your piece. It's a hard view to do. x.x

Playful Hellraiser

14,650 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Bookworm 100
MarukawaBubbleGum

I loved your piece, btw. c: Your textures and detail are amazing.

Some tips:
1] The eyes are slightly off, the right eye is smaller than the left. I'd recommend
playing with the shape a bit instead of the size to get across those angles where
one eye might appear smaller than the other.
2] Her arms are slightly long, yes. The elbow should be roughly where her belly
button is. The wrist will be roughly where the crotch is.

Hope that helps! <3

Playful Hellraiser

14,650 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Bookworm 100
Mei Tsui

Indeed life can get in the way. XD
I actually wanted to do a lot more than I did with mine. sweatdrop

Whimsical can be tough. Whenever I do stuff it tends to come out too bland even if I'm trying to get a specific feeling through colors. I think even going for whimsical though it could still have a full range of tones but then there are bright areas that are more vibrant and stand out a lot? Unless I'm imagining a wrong type of whimsical. xd Not sure. But I guess that's how I would go about it.

I also liked the tilt of the head in your piece. It's a hard view to do. x.x

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to me. xD
It just turned out a bit bland, though it was... almost on par with what I was going for.
Think... very light and dreamy, not too saturated or vibrant.

Thank you. c: I've been doing those angles a lot lately. xD

Editing for critique, gimme a sec. xD

Firstly, I was very impressed with your inclusion of a horse. : D
I love horses. xD The muzzle of the horse is slightly off, it's a bit
more rounded than that. I'm not sure if you were going for a specific
breed or not, but a lot of times the head will be slightly different for
different breeds. The Thoroughbred muzzle will be a bit more sloped,
while say... A Quarter Horse will be a bit more square. The ears should be a bit
farther down and show some more curves. Ears are fuzzy and soft! Not so triangular.
The part where the jaw meets the neck is a bit too abrupt too. The saddle is very flat,
but the pommel is fairly accurate. c:

The hardest part is probably sitting the person IN the saddle, which you did very well.
I'd just recommend looking a bit more closely at how the saddle blanket and saddle sit
on a horse. The only other thing that caught my eye is the horizon line/background.
It's very flat and it looks like you just picked a random spot for the horizon line.
I can go a bit more in depth with how the horizon line effects your picture if you'd like,
but the main thing to remember is where you want the horizon to be when you draw your
foreground/subject and how you're going to make it look like it's ground receding into
the distance. In your image, it looks like it might just be a hedge the rider is passing by
simply because it's so flat and featureless. Maybe spotting some shrubs on the ground
and spotting them back to the horizon line, or drawing a road/trail or something would
help?

I don't have much to critique on the person. xD It's pretty accurate. I love the hairstyle!

Hope that helps. >.<
Drive-by bumping. heart

Timid Explorer

F Scott
Mei Tsui - you drew America right? Gosh I loved the cowgirl's expression so much. >w<

I hope next round I can join up, it seems like fun.

Yep America. Thank you. ^^ And I'm glad you knew it was a girl, lol~

Hmm o.o I wonder if you can join. It would be good to have more people since it seems like half the entrants didn't end up submitting an entry.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff