Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Shapeshifter

i started drawing without thinking about shading at all and now im having lil problem with shade on legs and torso o x o
User Image
someone have tips?

Friendly Shapeshifter

omg does the pic even work?
Yeah the pic works, this is just a slow forum, you just have to be patient.

It's not bad so far the anatomy is well on its way to being correct. But that's not what you asked for so I'll ignore it.

When you are rendering a piece you always have to be thinking. Think of the light source. Where does it come from? Are there more light sources? Is it a strong or weak light source? Also you have to think about surroundings because color bounces. If he's in the sun on a cloudless day some of the sky's color would show on the skin. Is he sitting in grass? What colors are around him? How close are the colors? I recommend you never use black to shade skin due to colors that surround him are showing up on him. I recommend you check out Gurney ( you can find certain posts through the links on the lower left side) and if you have money, or a good library, check out his books which he displays on the site.

If you know what kind of light source there is check out portraits and pay close attention to the colors in the photo or even better studying someone in those circumstances (because photos miss things that you see in real life but photos are close enough).

So just always think as you lay out colors and plan lighting. It's a good start you have just start thinking hard on decisions as you go along. Also do research on shading by looking at master paintings and photos and real life and you'll understand shading better. Good luck!

Friendly Shapeshifter

zathraya
Yeah the pic works, this is just a slow forum, you just have to be patient.

It's not bad so far the anatomy is well on its way to being correct. But that's not what you asked for so I'll ignore it.

When you are rendering a piece you always have to be thinking. Think of the light source. Where does it come from? Are there more light sources? Is it a strong or weak light source? Also you have to think about surroundings because color bounces. If he's in the sun on a cloudless day some of the sky's color would show on the skin. Is he sitting in grass? What colors are around him? How close are the colors? I recommend you never use black to shade skin due to colors that surround him are showing up on him. I recommend you check out Gurney ( you can find certain posts through the links on the lower left side) and if you have money, or a good library, check out his books which he displays on the site.

If you know what kind of light source there is check out portraits and pay close attention to the colors in the photo or even better studying someone in those circumstances (because photos miss things that you see in real life but photos are close enough).

So just always think as you lay out colors and plan lighting. It's a good start you have just start thinking hard on decisions as you go along. Also do research on shading by looking at master paintings and photos and real life and you'll understand shading better. Good luck!

oh you can tell me about anatomy and im not going to mind i used reference but i tweeked anatomy a bit. enough not to make it look weird i hope? : o
it was supposed to be a doodle at first @-@ i just wanted to gave him some shade on mouth because it looked awesome. (im really a messy artist i keep experimenting mad ) and they i just established the light source just somewhere on the left.
i usually shade with purple because shading with purple is giving really nice effects (boucing colors happens but thats when im working on something with background and thats really sometimes q-q) i wanted to show how gray/pale his skin is and its going to be a transparent pic so im not planning on boucing any colors qoq i probs should but i have to get back to commissions in a second
im going to keep studying in this direction... but i still dont know what to do with shading on his legs @-@ i have no idea where should be it. his legs are tangled and i dunno how to show it in shading?? ok im just going to go with my feel

Friendly Shapeshifter

zathraya

ok whatever i finished it already x-x
feel free to still give me some critique tho

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items