Welcome to Gaia! ::

Party Seeker

8,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Was asked by some bodyboarders to take a couple of shots since there was a south swell this past weekend. This is my first time really working with the ocean. Just kind of wondering what I can do better, I suppose as far as lighting and exposure and framing go.

The lens I'm using right now is 55 - 200mm, so this is the most zoom I'm going to get. All of these images were cropped as well. I ordered a waterproof housing for my camera and hopefully it'll come in within a few weeks and I'll be able to get a bit closer to the action. But for now.

If any of these particularly stand out to you, could you let me know why?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

drink more ovaltine
Was asked by some bodyboarders to take a couple of shots since there was a south swell this past weekend. This is my first time really working with the ocean. Just kind of wondering what I can do better, I suppose as far as lighting and exposure and framing go.

The lens I'm using right now is 55 - 200mm, so this is the most zoom I'm going to get. All of these images were cropped as well. I ordered a waterproof housing for my camera and hopefully it'll come in within a few weeks and I'll be able to get a bit closer to the action. But for now.

If any of these particularly stand out to you, could you let me know why?

The second last one is awesome! I love the way it's sort of tiled to make it look like three people and the way the colour of the water stands out. Just beautiful. I don't know how to upload more than one photo so I included one of my best photos taken at some beach in South Perth

User Image

Space Detective

19,940 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Those are not bad shots, considering this is your first time shooting this kind of thing. Your exposures are nice as they stop the action. You do need to work on getting the decisive action though. This... just takes a loooooot of practice. Capturing people when they are at a perfect moment can be really hard. (If you want to cheat, and have some time to fool around, try taking some HD video if you camera has that feature. You can grab single frames if your quality is high enough.)

Party Seeker

8,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
kwahoo
Those are not bad shots, considering this is your first time shooting this kind of thing. Your exposures are nice as they stop the action. You do need to work on getting the decisive action though. This... just takes a loooooot of practice. Capturing people when they are at a perfect moment can be really hard. (If you want to cheat, and have some time to fool around, try taking some HD video if you camera has that feature. You can grab single frames if your quality is high enough.)

Thanks for the input! It's really appreciated.
And I WISH I had a high def video camera. Ugh. Unfortunately my camera can only capture stills.
The last one is the best to me. The person is just a bit clearer and a better focus point. You need a speedlight with a decent amount of power to cover the distance to fill in the person from the shadow of the wave, cloudy day, or if it starts getting dark out.

I think the second to last has potential but the execution needs improvement.

Try continuous shot mode also if it's a nice sunny day.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff