Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Gekko

7,300 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Could I have some comments/critiques? This is the first time I colored my drawings...
User Image
You did a really nice job of making the faces have individual features while conforming to one style

I would suggest is using a higher opacity brush and drawing the lines of the hair with more confidence, try using singular, flowing strokes with a tapered brush whee

And I really like how you drew and coloured the lips on the blue haired gal 3nodding

sir chri's Kouhai

High-functioning Demigod

13,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Consumer 100
It depends what coloring style your going for, but it doesn't look bad.
I would just suggest coloring in the lines since your not doing a lineless style....unless~
its your intention to go outside of the lines.

Cuddly Bear

I would suggest using a thicker, solid brush to lay in the base colors so shading becomes easier later on. It'll also help you keep the color within the lines easier.

You're doing well so far.

Fashionable Faun

Looks good so far! I love the faces on each one ;v;
However, I recommend incorporating some form of shading or detail to make your art more interesting.
There are plenty of tutorials on this, especially on deviantart. It depends on what program you use to draw as well as what type of style you're going for ;o;

I'll link you to some generic tutorials for colouring and I hope it helps ;v;
Tutorial 1
(I loved the 1st one when I first started)
Tutorial 2
Tutorial 3
Tutorial 4

If you need help with colour theory I have always loved this little flash explaining it.

Good luck with your art!

Divine General

10,650 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hunter 50
Not bad for a first attempt smile Go at it with more certainty. I feel a sense of uncertainty in the vagueness of your lines and shading - very understandable. Paint with more opacity and just try to shade it. Don't be afraid - that's how you learn fast. All the best!

Man-Hungry Demigod

21,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Key to Victory 50
You did a fantastic job varying the facial features on the two girls. This is a wonderful first attempt!

As for critiquing... It depends on what tools you are using and what look you are going for, but I definitely agree on the previous comments to use a brush with a higher opacity. You could do this simply to lay down the base colors and then work with the brush on the settings you used for this to do blush, blended shading, and many other things. If you are able, sometimes, in order to go for a pale/barely there look with colors, it is better to do everything with a solid brush and then lower the opacity on the layer instead of the colors themselves.

Don't be afraid to go back over and deepen lines that get blended in during the process of the image itself; it will add depth and get rid of some of the uncertainty that other artists might pick up from from the mix-matched lines.

Seriously, though, these two look gorgeous already. smile

Hopeful Teenager

First of all, I love your art style, love it. Keep drawing c:
My tip is to use a thicker brush, more opacity to the brush, just find your own style and experiment in shading and shapes, hair details, facial details, all that good stuff. Overall, love this piece yum_puddi

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff