Welcome to Gaia! ::

About the "Why can't I copy from a photo?" section, just to verify, because I do quite a bit of Jrock portraits (portraits from a photograph of someone, like Ruki of Gazette).

Does that mean I can't post those?

Only completely original work are allowed? That and since I'm new, I'm wondering how your post images in the first place. ^^;
Okay. Say I like a particular pose seen in a magazine or somesuch. If I take a photo of a friend in that pose, and then use that image to help myself in sketching out my picture . . . is that copying?

And I'm just eyeballing the photo as I draw.

I've done this a time or two, so I wanna make sure I'm not breaking the rules here.
I have a question.
I'm not sure if anyone asked yet, I'm just.. bleh. Lazy. XD
What if we used a doll base? ^^
Could we post our picture, and give credit to the base-artist, or would that count as copied? =/
anime_princess111
if you got banned for art theft are you banned for a limit of time or forever

It's forever. We take art theft seriously here.

RabbitPrince
About the "Why can't I copy from a photo?" section, just to verify, because I do quite a bit of Jrock portraits (portraits from a photograph of someone, like Ruki of Gazette).

Does that mean I can't post those?

Only completely original work are allowed? That and since I'm new, I'm wondering how your post images in the first place. ^^;

Yep... only original work. Unless you can do a fan drawing of a real person in your own style. It IS doable and called caricature. You can pose them anyway you like... you can even made 3D renders of them. You aren't limited to what you see in their photos.

Example? Here is a UFO Catcher of Lucy Lawless as Xena: Warrior Princess I did:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/28124986/
It takes an understanding of what the person looks like facially and what they wear.

Foenixfyre
Okay. Say I like a particular pose seen in a magazine or somesuch. If I take a photo of a friend in that pose, and then use that image to help myself in sketching out my picture . . . is that copying?

And I'm just eyeballing the photo as I draw.

I've done this a time or two, so I wanna make sure I'm not breaking the rules here.

You can copy from photos that you yourself take with your own camera for reference. You own the copyrights to that image so you can do whatever you want to it.

(Kitsune~of~the~Ice)
I have a question.
I'm not sure if anyone asked yet, I'm just.. bleh. Lazy. XD
What if we used a doll base? ^^
Could we post our picture, and give credit to the base-artist, or would that count as copied? =/

Dolls really depend on the base doll artist as to whether you can show them or sell them. They are not allowed in the Art Arena because people had a tendancy to not credit the base doll. I've seen them in here... and you really need to credit the base doll and read the artist's rules about when and where you can post. They'll usually mention something about displaying the doll for personal use.

End of responses.

To the other people I deleted posts for... STOP SPAMMING STICKIES! If you don't have a question or help people who have questions you don't need to respond. I deleted about 20 off-topic posts in the past 2 pages. That was riddiculous.
Aww, So adorable!!! 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces