Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is my first time posting in this fourm, first time I really noticed it, ahaha. But I am doing a digital painting of sayaka from madoka magica.

Here is the WIP

I mainly need help with maybe the background? Or what colors would look good shadowed in the hair. I am not very good at color theory yet. I am trying but its hard for me.

update:
Finished version

Distinct Elder

Shadows usually are the complement (opposite colour on the colour wheel) of the colour of the light source, and shadows are usually a less saturated/bright version of the local colour. Also a good value (darkness level) to start with for a shadow is halfway from the local colour to black. It's probably safe to go even darker with hair since it's got a sheen to it and that creates darker shadows and brighter highlights (overall just more contrast in value).

As for the background, I'd go with a muted complement of the hair so the head "pops" off the background - some sort of desaturated orange that doesn't look muddy.

Why don't you look up a photo of blue hair (like a wig) under a similar lighting scenario to your idea and use that as reference?
Itchy the Hatter
Shadows usually are the complement (opposite colour on the colour wheel) of the colour of the light source, and shadows are usually a less saturated/bright version of the local colour. Also a good value (darkness level) to start with for a shadow is halfway from the local colour to black. It's probably safe to go even darker with hair since it's got a sheen to it and that creates darker shadows and brighter highlights (overall just more contrast in value).

As for the background, I'd go with a muted complement of the hair so the head "pops" off the background - some sort of desaturated orange that doesn't look muddy.

Why don't you look up a photo of blue hair (like a wig) under a similar lighting scenario to your idea and use that as reference?

Thank you, the advice helped quite a bit, orange does look rather nice as a background color. I have tons of references, it makes it easier .
Itchy the Hatter

I have the finished version update, any suggestions c: ?

Distinct Elder

PreposterousPanda

I mean, the face is still kinda unfinished looking. Your values are all super blown out making the dark features that are visible on the face like the nostrils, mouth, and eyes seem cartoony and unrealistic... which doesn't really match the facial proportions and style you seem to be going for.

It looks like you're have reference, but you're not using it. Can I see the photo you're referencing?
Itchy the Hatter
PreposterousPanda

I mean, the face is still kinda unfinished looking. Your values are all super blown out making the dark features that are visible on the face like the nostrils, mouth, and eyes seem cartoony and unrealistic... which doesn't really match the facial proportions and style you seem to be going for.

It looks like you're have reference, but you're not using it. Can I see the photo you're referencing?

Distinct Elder

PreposterousPanda

Don't reference other people's interpretations of reality - all you're doing is copying a copy, and the principle of image reproduction states that with each iteration from the original the quality of an image will drop. You can see this principle in action by taking a photo, photocopying it with a Xerox machine, then copying that copy with the same machine, and so on and so forth. With each copy, the quality of the image drops. In other words, your image can only be as good as the artist you're copying, and this image is nothing to really write home about to begin with. You're also copying a style that isn't yours. A style should be derived of your understanding of reality, not your understanding of another person's understanding of reality. Photos of reality or reality itself should be your reference for poses.

PreposterousPanda

And this photo is just too blown out to be of any worth. Try to find photos with more dramatic lighting that shows the forms. This photo has reduced every surface of the face to the same value making it flat looking and unrealistic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff