Welcome to Gaia! ::

Trash Hellraiser

36,190 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bookworm 100
  • Bold Glow 150
I would like my artwork to be more popular, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know I must be messing up somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm not doing right. May I please have some general critique on my style, coloring, whatever you feel needs improvement?

My Art

Clarus Lux's Spouse

Supreme Noob

heya
so you've developed your own art style, which is good because it separates you from other artists

things that you might want to work on:

while some artists tweak anatomy based on their art style, you must know the anatomy basics. try to do figure drawings using photo references. a good website for this is posemaniacs.com

try experimenting with backgrounds. something in the back to add or emphasize parts of your piece can change how people see it. they don't have to be very detailed, painted backgrounds, but have something in the back that seems to tie everything together

some of your posing seems a bit repetitive and awkward, but improving on that just comes with more practice

good luck and I hope this helped!

Trash Hellraiser

36,190 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bookworm 100
  • Bold Glow 150
tvaika
heya
so you've developed your own art style, which is good because it separates you from other artists

while some artists tweak anatomy based on their art style, you must know the anatomy basics. try to do figure drawings using photo references. a good website for this is posemaniacs.com

try experimenting with backgrounds. something in the back to add or emphasize parts of your piece can change how people see it. they don't have to be very detailed, painted backgrounds, but have something in the back that seems to tie everything together

some of your posing seems a bit repetitive and awkward, but improving on that just comes with more practice

Thank you for the tips!

I've tried drawing backgrounds before, but I can never seem to get them to seem like they're part of the same picture as the subject, they never look like they belong together.

I don't use references very often, I think I will try that website, thanks!

Clarus Lux's Spouse

Supreme Noob

General Sticky
tvaika
heya

Thank you for the tips!

I've tried drawing backgrounds before, but I can never seem to get them to seem like they're part of the same picture as the subject, they never look like they belong together.

I don't use references very often, I think I will try that website, thanks!

About backgrounds:

You could always try geometric backgrounds. Not sure if that would be something you'd like, but it generally works well for me. Something like polka dots or stripes can be helpful too
You have a real eye for creating kooky(as a compliment) characters, like dot and creative back stories,which a lot of people have trouble with.

As another user pointed out the anatomy needs attention, while reference can be huge asset to developing a character, it can also be a bad crutch. I think it's important to know why you're drawing it the way you are.

Let's look at human anatomy real simple and quick:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Now let's look your OC Goanna.

See how her patella looks dislocated where you joined it at the tibia?

Also, the patella and the muscle around it is a lot smaller width than it should. Consideration to how the muscle thins out should be gradual in most cases:

There are styles and manipulation of these rules, so these should be guidelines not set in stone when developing characters. However, it's a lot easier to learn this first and then bend them to your satisfaction than the other way around.

One last thing that I think will loosen up the feel of your characters is a line of action:

A little line goes a long way in deciding what your character will be doing and how.

Keep at it, I hope I was helpful.

3nodding

Links of interest:

Artistic Anatomy by Dr Paul Richer is an amazing book, shows the unity that both science and art share.

Constructive Anatomy by George Brigham is a great resource of anatomy and how to go about drawing it. Plus it's free online, my favourite price!

Cunning Comrade

16,225 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Ghost Hunter 250
User Image

For this image, I think the breasts look a little strange as they are small and high up but have that much definition. I think she would look a little better with smaller shoulders also smile

Very creative though and she really looks interesting.

User Image
I think the breasts are a little too high on this one and the arms come up a little too high also. I love the dress though and it is very interesting as a picture. I can see what you are trying to do with the feet but naturally feet don't turn inwards that far. Maybe try it but with them being less inward. If that makes sense.

Your colouring is quite good though so good job smile

If you would like critiques on anything else feel free to ask me smile

Keep up the drawing smile
The poses are completely stiff, even if you are moving the limbs around.

Everyone looks like they're holding a pose stiffly rather than having a flow. You need to find a line of action to give your characters more life. Google that term for some visual reference.

Trash Hellraiser

36,190 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bookworm 100
  • Bold Glow 150
SailorVera

under the coke sign

I'm not sure why, but I just have the hardest time working with a line of action, like the poses look even more off when I attempt to draw anything other than a character just standing up. I'm not sure if I just don't get it or what, but I'm definitely going to try to incorporate one more often.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff