Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do y'all think of this: Some random art

Give me criticismz and all that lol
I can't tell if that's a scar or shadow by the nose? I'd like to see more form of nostril. Maybe a simple inner ear shape too, like you might see in cartoons (like Batman The Animated Series). The graphic on his tee could slightly wrap around a bit more to the angle of his body... it's coming at us straight right now. You could maybe have more of an overlap of that cape over the shirt to indicate it being layered on top of it, since right now, the cape looks more like it's part of the shirt.

Otherwise, not much else I can offer, esp. without being familiar with the character and your intents in his clothing. They do look kinda like pajamas than typical superhero tights. I like your linework, good job esp. on that.

High-functioning Lunatic

Pretty much everything Mr. Wolf has said with the exception of the "cape", which since I know the source material you are using, is supposed to be attached to the shirt, yes, but you also seem to have forgotten the hood. Are you trying to make an Heir of Light, perhaps, or some other aspect, like a Knight?

LordTerramine

Shadowolf
Shadowolf
I can't tell if that's a scar or shadow by the nose? I'd like to see more form of nostril. Maybe a simple inner ear shape too, like you might see in cartoons (like Batman The Animated Series). The graphic on his tee could slightly wrap around a bit more to the angle of his body... it's coming at us straight right now. You could maybe have more of an overlap of that cape over the shirt to indicate it being layered on top of it, since right now, the cape looks more like it's part of the shirt.

Otherwise, not much else I can offer, esp. without being familiar with the character and your intents in his clothing. They do look kinda like pajamas than typical superhero tights. I like your linework, good job esp. on that.
It's a birthmark, and the clothing is from a webcomic called Homestuck. It's supposed to be loosish, kinda like robes. Pajamas is a good comparison. But no the other person is wrong about the cape. I'll explain to them in a sec. Thanks for everything else. Definitely gonna work on all this. Also just to clarify, it's supposed to be myself. I have a birthmark next to my nose just like that.
z0mbilici0us
Pretty much everything Mr. Wolf has said with the exception of the "cape", which since I know the source material you are using, is supposed to be attached to the shirt, yes, but you also seem to have forgotten the hood. Are you trying to make an Heir of Light, perhaps, or some other aspect, like a Knight?

LordTerramine

Shadowolf
Knight isn't aspect. Aspect, is the Light part of the title. Knight and Heir are CLASSES. But um, actually, spoilerish but in the Recent update we got to see the canon Lord outfit. My Classpect is Lord of Light. That being said the cape is actually separate and DOES overlap. I knew that and a lot of what Wolf said already, but it didn't help getting other people's perspectives. I know clothes is a big one I can improve on lol

High-functioning Lunatic

My apologies for the typo, I'm an insomniac with the attention span of a squirrel Dx

And as for the part that is not the clothes, here's some good old-fashioned constructive criticism:
The Eyebrows need work unless you're going for a unique approach. I know several animes that have, such as The Mightiest Disciple Kenichi
The nose and shading are off, try looking in the mirror and practicing it on paper. The best model is yourself~
And lastly, the jawline needs a little work. Once more, look at the mirror for references, or try looking for some on the internet if you don't want to.
Also remember that most "How to" books if you've ever read any (I hope you haven't) are terrible because they try to get you to draw their way instead of your own, and that's the most important thing about art: it's YOUR art. If you like the way that something you made looks, then screw everyone else, that makes it perfect. It's all about individuality and expressing yourself~

That any help, dear? c:

LordTerramine
z0mbilici0us
My apologies for the typo, I'm an insomniac with the attention span of a squirrel Dx

And as for the part that is not the clothes, here's some good old-fashioned constructive criticism:
The Eyebrows need work unless you're going for a unique approach. I know several animes that have, such as The Mightiest Disciple Kenichi
The nose and shading are off, try looking in the mirror and practicing it on paper. The best model is yourself~
And lastly, the jawline needs a little work. Once more, look at the mirror for references, or try looking for some on the internet if you don't want to.
Also remember that most "How to" books if you've ever read any (I hope you haven't) are terrible because they try to get you to draw their way instead of your own, and that's the most important thing about art: it's YOUR art. If you like the way that something you made looks, then screw everyone else, that makes it perfect. It's all about individuality and expressing yourself~

That any help, dear? c:

LordTerramine
holy s**t I was just a bigger victim of typos... I said it DIDN'T help... I meant DIDN'T HURT KJDSGHKSDHGKJSD damn, I was hella r00d by accident. My bad. Anyways yeah the brows are kinda my thing, sometimes I'll draw my hair crazy too. Because sometimes both my eyebrows and hair are like... Einstein crazy lol

Anyways the jaw makes sense, i mean it's somewhat shape like my own, but I see what you mean. Shading, there is none. It's all flat colors. I kinda have just decided to avoid it altogether for now. I like cartoonish styles and leaving shadows out saves time anyways. The nose looked better without the variable thickness. I actually do all my work in illustrator, not on paper lol. But even without the variable thickness I do definitely need to get more detailed on it.

Anyways thanks so far guys... my bad for saying it didn't help by accident, it does.

High-functioning Lunatic

LordTerramine

Lol, no problem, dear xDD

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Haha it's me again don't worry I'm not here to nitpick also I'm stressed as ******** because of college apps right now so I'll keep it short.

It's a huge improvement from what I saw last time. Like really big. Congrats on that, really. My only real point of advice (and it's not really advice so much as a suggestion I guess) is to try shading maybe? There's not much else I can point out since the other two kinda got it for the most part. I guess the lips could be a little better? Since it's just a line right now, maybe darkening the edges of the mouth would help?

Some tutorials that (hopefully) help:
Expressions
Facial Features
Quick notes on cell shading

Just pulled some at random from my list of tutorials though, so I'd study up some more and use these as simple guides.
Sakiusa
Haha it's me again don't worry I'm not here to nitpick also I'm stressed as ******** because of college apps right now so I'll keep it short.

It's a huge improvement from what I saw last time. Like really big. Congrats on that, really. My only real point of advice (and it's not really advice so much as a suggestion I guess) is to try shading maybe? There's not much else I can point out since the other two kinda got it for the most part. I guess the lips could be a little better? Since it's just a line right now, maybe darkening the edges of the mouth would help?

Some tutorials that (hopefully) help:
Expressions
Facial Features
Quick notes on cell shading

Just pulled some at random from my list of tutorials though, so I'd study up some more and use these as simple guides.
These are very helpful, saved to my tutz folder, thank you.

Angelic Muse

10,350 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Super Tipsy 200

⌠☆ミ⌡

This is nice. ^_^ Next time you draw I would try to color shadows on his clothing.

⌠☆ミ⌡
YuukiPinkuu

⌠☆ミ⌡

This is nice. ^_^ Next time you draw I would try to color shadows on his clothing.

⌠☆ミ⌡
I can actually experiment on that drawing. I have the illustrator file saved. But yeah I'll have to look into it. I mostly have skipped out on it to speed things up though. Especially in regard to free art. But I'll definitely start practicing shading more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff