Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Donator

Ok so I'm trying to do like a 'feels' drawing, but I'm just...my brains just not working with me today. I've been using this as a drawing reference, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it just looks derpy and rubbish. Could anyone take a fresh look at it and maybe like slap me up side the head and help me out with where ever I'm going wrong.

User Image

Fashionable Giver

8,200 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
Okay my artistic friend. It's not bad, but the male shouldn't he be looking more emotional than looking straight ahead? it looks like he's looking at the audience. idk how did you want to have him if it's a feels picture, the female's body looks good but is the female supposed to be in his arms or laying on his knees?
and I'm not going to slap you that would be mean. other than that the body compositions and angles are pretty damn good ^^

Benevolent Donator

Moiraii
Okay my artistic friend. It's not bad, but the male shouldn't he be looking more emotional than looking straight ahead? it looks like he's looking at the audience. idk how did you want to have him if it's a feels picture, the female's body looks good but is the female supposed to be in his arms or laying on his knees?
and I'm not going to slap you that would be mean. other than that the body compositions and angles are pretty damn good ^^

Well I don't know if you know anything about Homestuck, but this was going to be a fan piece of Dave Strider holding Jade Harley after shes died and he was meant to be like looking up crying looking up towards the huge fight that's going on and everything, so he'd kind of be looking at the viewer. I wanted his face to kinda be...I don't know how to explain it heartbroken but also like 'your s**t is about to get wrecked', and regarding the pose, she's meant to have been lay on the floor and he's come along and kinda picked up her shoulders but I figured he'd be knelt down on the floor and you'd see his knee's behind her right?. Oh god I don't even know what I'm doing anymore T^T

Fashionable Giver

8,200 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
Some Wench
Moiraii

Well I don't know if you know anything about Homestuck, but this was going to be a fan piece of Dave Strider holding Jade Harley after shes died and he was meant to be like looking up crying looking up towards the huge fight that's going on and everything, so he'd kind of be looking at the viewer. I wanted his face to kinda be...I don't know how to explain it heartbroken but also like 'your s**t is about to get wrecked', and regarding the pose, she's meant to have been lay on the floor and he's come along and kinda picked up her shoulders but I figured he'd be knelt down on the floor and you'd see his knee's behind her right?. Oh god I don't even know what I'm doing anymore T^T

no no you did great with this. I was just a bit confused. Okay and pick up those drawing pencils missy and make this great ^^ (Gives you a random 102 piece art set. Kya and go forward!! biggrin

Benevolent Donator

Moiraii
Some Wench
Moiraii

no no you did great with this. I was just a bit confused. Okay and pick up those drawing pencils missy and make this great ^^ (Gives you a random 102 piece art set. Kya and go forward!! biggrin

ahhh but its so hard >.<. I'm thinking of completly changeing the angle of his body and having him looking like he's come in from the right and knelt down next/behind her -sigh- I don't know, it's frustrating when you cant do something xD

Fashionable Giver

8,200 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
Some Wench
Moiraii
Some Wench
Moiraii

ahhh but its so hard >.<. I'm thinking of completly changeing the angle of his body and having him looking like he's come in from the right and knelt down next/behind her -sigh- I don't know, it's frustrating when you cant do something xD

i know the feeling. try testing out different body postions on scratch paper to see which ones are best or that you like.
I think most of this is really spot on. The man's neck needs a bit of definition so that the angle looks right. I think that's where you're having problems. His face looks a bit low on the head as well, the edge of the jaw is about where the lips start.

This is by no means perfect, but here's a quick sketch over.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Newbie Noob

Derping hard is all about learning how to draw, bruh. emotion_awesome

I figured that if your drawing was already red, why not make it blue? Hehehe.

So here's some "bluelines", if you please:

User Image

Here's a link to the actual image if the Gaia-side scrolling thing bothers you: Whoopdee doo.

Allow me to explain what those green arrows mean.

Move things down. I feel like your drawing is all "compressed" up there. You see the eyes and knees boxed? That was how I noticed when I was drawing my corrections. These are the points that you might focus on as well.

To predict where to put her knees go after you fixed that up, check where his knees are. They're on a level surface, so they should somehow match up.

I'm no true anatomy expert, but men have these strange back muscles that get all hunched up when they're carrying something/looking up/looking at them from an upper view. So instead of making his back all smooth, refer back to the original reference and note how his muscles sort of...hunch up.

I also drew some biceps and stuff just to mark the joints. It's nice having joints to move around, like an armature in sculpting.

Thighs were also a tad bit short. I hope this guy is taller than 5'5", right? So his thighs should eventually measure out to the length of his shoulders and upper arm together. Also spread them out a little more as to accentuate inner strength, like he's hunched over the girl. Makes up for better sense of balance when your legs are a little farther apart, no?

It's a sketchy sketch. But just at your disposal; I redrew the face using my own style just to note the eye leverage and errything. But feel free to scrap it if you don't like it (*sniffs quietly*). Just to note again, when eyes are looking straight forward, they tend to kind of...move upwards...if that makes any sense.

Like you can't see his entire eye in my revision. Just about 3/4 of the bottom. The 1/4 of the top is behind his eyelid. It's like he's focusing on something.

Also, I kind pitched in and drew some eyes on the girl. Aaand a nose. But you don't really have to care about that. Keep in mind that when someone's eye's are closed, their eyelids become more apparent and their eyelashes are darker because they're "converged lines". Which means they're technically all stuck together, and thus make a thicker sort of...segments. If you will.

One last thing, his hands are a little small. And they seem to not be holding onto something. So a small thing I added was the "cupping" of the hand; like his left hand holding onto the girl's shoulders. It becomes curved, and his thumb would grip the upper part of the arm. This also gives another sense of security and attachment his character gives to the girl.

Again, feel free to try out your own style or go about your own ways. I'm *sure* I've made some corrections that will improve the overall composition, though. Might not be the best help you can get, but good luck!

Remember, derping hard will eventually get you in a better position. So keep derpin'.

Benevolent Donator

Rivoltella Forte

User Image

Here's a link to the actual image if the Gaia-side scrolling thing bothers you: Whoopdee doo.

Move things down. I feel like your drawing is all "compressed" up there. You see the eyes and knees boxed? That was how I noticed when I was drawing my corrections. These are the points that you might focus on as well.

To predict where to put her knees go after you fixed that up, check where his knees are. They're on a level surface, so they should somehow match up.

I'm no true anatomy expert, but men have these strange back muscles that get all hunched up when they're carrying something/looking up/looking at them from an upper view. So instead of making his back all smooth, refer back to the original reference and note how his muscles sort of...hunch up.

I also drew some biceps and stuff just to mark the joints. It's nice having joints to move around, like an armature in sculpting.

Thighs were also a tad bit short. I hope this guy is taller than 5'5", right? So his thighs should eventually measure out to the length of his shoulders and upper arm together. Also spread them out a little more as to accentuate inner strength, like he's hunched over the girl. Makes up for better sense of balance when your legs are a little farther apart, no?

It's a sketchy sketch. But just at your disposal; I redrew the face using my own style just to note the eye leverage and errything. But feel free to scrap it if you don't like it (*sniffs quietly*). Just to note again, when eyes are looking straight forward, they tend to kind of...move upwards...if that makes any sense.

Like you can't see his entire eye in my revision. Just about 3/4 of the bottom. The 1/4 of the top is behind his eyelid. It's like he's focusing on something.

Also, I kind pitched in and drew some eyes on the girl. Aaand a nose. But you don't really have to care about that. Keep in mind that when someone's eye's are closed, their eyelids become more apparent and their eyelashes are darker because they're "converged lines". Which means they're technically all stuck together, and thus make a thicker sort of...segments. If you will.

One last thing, his hands are a little small. And they seem to not be holding onto something. So a small thing I added was the "cupping" of the hand; like his left hand holding onto the girl's shoulders. It becomes curved, and his thumb would grip the upper part of the arm. This also gives another sense of security and attachment his character gives to the girl.

Again, feel free to try out your own style or go about your own ways. I'm *sure* I've made some corrections that will improve the overall composition, though. Might not be the best help you can get, but good luck!

Remember, derping hard will eventually get you in a better position. So keep derpin'.

User Image

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GOD BLOODY BLESS YOU, YOU UTTER ANGEL, IF THERE WAS A WAY FOR ME TO PHYSICALLY HUG YOU WITH THE FORCE TO POSSIBLY BREAK/BRUISE A FEW RIBS I WOULD BE ALL OVER THAT. LIKE SERIOUSLY. EVERYTHING YOU POINTED OUT I WAS JUST SAT HERE LIKE...OMG DOH <3

Newbie Noob

Some Wench
Rivoltella Forte

User Image

User Image

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GOD BLOODY BLESS YOU, YOU UTTER ANGEL, IF THERE WAS A WAY FOR ME TO PHYSICALLY HUG YOU WITH THE FORCE TO POSSIBLY BREAK/BRUISE A FEW RIBS I WOULD BE ALL OVER THAT. LIKE SERIOUSLY. EVERYTHING YOU POINTED OUT I WAS JUST SAT HERE LIKE...OMG DOH <3

Omgpls. It was my pleasure. 4laugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces