Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Husband

20,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Buggin' 500
  • Timid 100
User Image

This is a doodle I made and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to improve my art style? sweatdrop

And some more drawings of my art style in general
Note- The ones in the spoilers are pretty outdated now, honestly.
User Image
User Image
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Then a picture I did with a tablet:
User Image

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Duuurn's Wife

Backwoods Hiker

The dome of the skull is impossibly flat but not in a working way, even for cartooning — for ME at least. I enjoy the eyes and expression, and your drab use of color to convey the character's, well, character.

Your lines are solid, and the piece works. I'd just give the skull a little more shape.

Anxious Husband

20,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Buggin' 500
  • Timid 100
Aerachnais
The dome of the skull is impossibly flat but not in a working way, even for cartooning — for ME at least. I enjoy the eyes and expression, and your drab use of color to convey the character's, well, character.

Your lines are solid, and the piece works. I'd just give the skull a little more shape.

Well, it's a little too late for me to edit this picture, but I'll certainly try to keep your advice in mind! The flat problem is really only with this specific character because the way I've always drawn his hair is very flat on top. sweatdrop I appreciate your advice, so thanks!

Duuurn's Wife

Backwoods Hiker

You can always work into a piece! Ah but I'm spoiled by dry medias. Anyway no problem! But keep the hand-to-forehead technique in mind smile usually our foreheads are the width of our hands horizontally placed on them. Add a little room for hair/skull and you're golden! That may help you~! I dig your expressions tho, very nice 3nodding

Newbie Animal

7,500 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Cool Cat 500
I like it
I don't like it
I don't like it

Anxious Husband

20,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Buggin' 500
  • Timid 100
Inosab
I like it
I don't like it
I don't like it

Well, could you maybe tell me what exactly you don't like about them? No offense, but it doesn't really help me if you just say you don't like it. sweatdrop

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Misubito

Inosab is pretty much the resident troll of the art forums generally being incoherent, nonsensical and rude without offering reasoning behind statements. When reasoning for an opinion is given by them it's mostly just incoherent and nonsensical. Also has a bias against all digital art so that may be the sole reason why they don't like what you've posted.

In short, it's perfectly reasonable if you ignore them.

Anxious Husband

20,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Buggin' 500
  • Timid 100
Kairanha
Misubito
Inosab is pretty much the resident troll of the art forums generally being incoherent, nonsensical and rude without offering reasoning behind statements. When reasoning for an opinion is given by them it's mostly just incoherent and nonsensical. Also has a bias against all digital art so that may be the sole reason why they don't like what you've posted.

I short, it's perfectly reasonable if you ignore them.
Ah, alright. I didn't know that since I don't usually post in the art forums. Thank you!

Newbie Animal

7,500 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Cool Cat 500
Misubito
Inosab
I like it
I don't like it
I don't like it

Well, could you maybe tell me what exactly you don't like about them? No offense, but it doesn't really help me if you just say you don't like it. sweatdrop

No offense taken. The first one has a personal style. What I mean by that is that is not a drawing that could have been made by anyone.

Signature (attribution) is irrelevant when the object you make is your signature.

The other two could have been made by anyone, meaning that they are the same as 90% of the digital drawings made.

You are either an artist or you just work for an artist.

Friendly Dreamer

You have nice and clean lines and your coloring doesn't go out of them. This is very good. I would suggest that you use guidelines to try to work on the head shape a bit more. The top of the head seems a bit flat on the first one. As for the coloring a little more work on lighting and shading can help. Have you tried using references when practicing?

Anxious Husband

20,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Buggin' 500
  • Timid 100
Loner Yanagi
You have nice and clean lines and your coloring doesn't go out of them. This is very good. I would suggest that you use guidelines to try to work on the head shape a bit more. The top of the head seems a bit flat on the first one. As for the coloring a little more work on lighting and shading can help. Have you tried using references when practicing?
Thanks for the advice! As for the head thing, recently I've been drawing a sort of guideline for the rough size of the entire head (instead of just drawing the chin and working from there, like I usually do) and drawing the top of the hair above that line, so the head isn't as flat or small at the top.
I usually don't use references unless I'm really stuck, and I don't normally shade my drawings, so I don't get as much practice with lighting as I should. sweatdrop

Friendly Dreamer

Officer Ronan Tavish
Thanks for the advice! As for the head thing, recently I've been drawing a sort of guideline for the rough size of the entire head (instead of just drawing the chin and working from there, like I usually do) and drawing the top of the hair above that line, so the head isn't as flat or small at the top.
I usually don't use references unless I'm really stuck, and I don't normally shade my drawings, so I don't get as much practice with lighting as I should. sweatdrop

I see. It's a good start and it does work for your style. I do find your style to be very distinct.

Shading can be difficult. I understand.

Anxious Husband

20,350 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Buggin' 500
  • Timid 100
Loner Yanagi
I see. It's a good start and it does work for your style. I do find your style to be very distinct.

Well, I certainly hope my style being distinct is a good thing, though I'm not entirely sure what about my style that refers to... sweatdrop I usually just add shading-but-not really in the sense that if I have a huge patch of one color (except for the dark brown I use as black) I'll add a darker version of that color at the bottom and blend it so it's sort of a gradient, which I guess is a start.

Friendly Dreamer

Officer Ronan Tavish
Loner Yanagi

Well, I certainly hope my style being distinct is a good thing, though I'm not entirely sure what about my style that refers to... sweatdrop I usually just add shading-but-not really in the sense that if I have a huge patch of one color (except for the dark brown I use as black) I'll add a darker version of that color at the bottom and blend it so it's sort of a gradient, which I guess is a start.

How you do eyes, chins, and noses is distinct to me. everything is a bit square ish? It's a style I could probably easily recognize.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff