Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Phantom

User Image
First picture was me just freehanding some anime/manga eyes from examples.

User Image
Second picture is my first attempt at drawing an anime/manga face, let me know what you guys think.
Not a bad try for a first try, but here's some advice:

LEARN THE BASICS.

If you learn just by copying from things you see, you will have to spend a lot of time un-learning the bad habits that copying is going to teach you later on. There are lots of tutorials out there!

Learn how to use basic shapes, learn how to recognize proportion and structure and anatomy. If you start with a good foundation (even though it's boring!) you will improve faster and have a better finished product than people who just learned from copying.

Lonely Phantom

Matsunaga Kaede
Not a bad try for a first try, but here's some advice:

LEARN THE BASICS.

If you learn just by copying from things you see, you will have to spend a lot of time un-learning the bad habits that copying is going to teach you later on. There are lots of tutorials out there!

Learn how to use basic shapes, learn how to recognize proportion and structure and anatomy. If you start with a good foundation (even though it's boring!) you will improve faster and have a better finished product than people who just learned from copying.
Thanks for the advice! I've actually been watching a guy on Youtube called Mark Crilley, and he's got a bunch of videos on how to draw many things. I'm also tempted to purchase his books, you should check him out if you haven't already.
thats the best way to start
smile keep up the good work!!

Shy Gawker

Aged Hunter

Matsunaga put it better then I could be yeah. You don't want to be a second rate version of someone else's style. Pick up a book on just drawing people, not "drawing anime" then when you know how to draw things you can stack all the style you want on top of that.

Noob

STOP!

Someone has posted this before, and now I want to post about the same. Do REALISM before ANIME. Mike Criley would tell you the same. Mike Criley is a beautiful artist, and he has some beautiful realism, which helped him produce his OWN STYLE in drawing anime. YOU should do the same.
First start off with shapes! This is something every artist will tell you. Start off with shapes and put them together, what can you make?
Then study the anatomy. Study the structure of humans, study how the body moves, aswell. When you're out shopping or in the car, don't be afraid to look at other people. Understand how the body works together.
THEN, once you have understood this, begin anime. Trust me, once you have finished realism, your anime is going to look beautiful.
Not bad. biggrin Better than when i started sweatdrop :

Lonely Phantom

Hiccup_16
Not bad. biggrin Better than when i started sweatdrop :
To be honest all this work is just a ripoff of existing art, I literally had zero experience until just a couple days ago.

Salty Citizen

7,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Cart Raider 100

High-functioning Tycoon

7,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Your off to getting a great hobby, to improve, try to get influences outside anime such as fine art, american comics, real life etc. Good luck!

Newbie Regular

2,550 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
It's a good start. I just think his face is a bit fat! You can use real life human anatomy for references!

Lonely Phantom

Triads and Yakuza
It's a good start. I just think his face is a bit fat! You can use real life human anatomy for references!
My thoughts exactly, thanks for the advice smile

Dapper Dabbler

6,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Millionaire 200
If you wanna start learning human figures from books, just go straight to Loomis.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff