Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well this is a character i've worked on for some time now, it began with a few simple sketches then worked my way up to this, i want to know what fellow artists might think of my character, as for the manga thing, a friend of mine and i are working on a manga and we're creating characters right now all of it is just rough ideas as of now, if you like it ill continue to upload other characters razz

let me know what you think razz

First one is a sketch:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Second one is with photoshop (im kinda new to photoshop):
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Sparkly Star

7,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
First recommendation is resize those images, far too large

Im not going to discourage you from drawing a comic/manga, its great practice

You do have a lot to learn with anatomy, the hands are weakly drawn and too small. The torso is too thin and the legs are very thin and short. He basically shrinks as you look from his head to his feet.

Im fairly certain in saying anyone who ever draws humans goes thru a phase where this happens to them. Drawing your guide lines with your base skeleton and making sure you measure the length of the arms and legs will solve that problem. Good thing is that he seems to have a decent line of balance going, so its becomes a proportion issue

Be careful with your posing, a good way to test a pose is to see if you can do it yourself. His arms are in a very uncomfortable pose, borderline painful when i tried it myself. At least for me, it was impossible to even get my right arm up and bent that high while holding something
Rishnea
First recommendation is resize those images, far too large

Im not going to discourage you from drawing a comic/manga, its great practice

You do have a lot to learn with anatomy, the hands are weakly drawn and too small. The torso is too thin and the legs are very thin and short. He basically shrinks as you look from his head to his feet.

Im fairly certain in saying anyone who ever draws humans goes thru a phase where this happens to them. Drawing your guide lines with your base skeleton and making sure you measure the length of the arms and legs will solve that problem. Good thing is that he seems to have a decent line of balance going, so its becomes a proportion issue

Be careful with your posing, a good way to test a pose is to see if you can do it yourself. His arms are in a very uncomfortable pose, borderline painful when i tried it myself. At least for me, it was impossible to even get my right arm up and bent that high while holding something

Thanks biggrin

Leadfooted Phantom

And now to be the near-sighted a** who goes "I CAN'T SEE IT" - do you still have the larger pics?

From what I can see - it looks like you've got really clean line art. That's going to go a long way, especially in manga.

From the feet up to the legs, this piece seems anatomically sound and stylized.

As for critique - for me, the face just doesn't seem to fit. It reminds me of how a pizza with too much grease has the cheese slide off. If you got rid of the nose all together, rose the eyes and mouth, and didn't square the outer side of the eye right off at the iris, that may help it look less jarring.
the Caelos
And now to be the near-sighted a** who goes "I CAN'T SEE IT" - do you still have the larger pics?

From what I can see - it looks like you've got really clean line art. That's going to go a long way, especially in manga.

From the feet up to the legs, this piece seems anatomically sound and stylized.

As for critique - for me, the face just doesn't seem to fit. It reminds me of how a pizza with too much grease has the cheese slide off. If you got rid of the nose all together, rose the eyes and mouth, and didn't square the outer side of the eye right off at the iris, that may help it look less jarring.

I resized it, thanks for the critique biggrin

Newbie Noob

Hey there! I just thought that you'd like another person who critique!

For me personally, I think that this art is different and can't be compared to the more cliche manga/anime body structure.

Anatomy: Even with a different art style, your anatomy is good! He's only about 4 heads tall which is acceptable in some manga styles, and even then I'm measuring him from this angle which means that in profile he'd be taller to about 5 heads which is close to the "norm". The length and width of his arms is realistic since your arm only reaches to... well your pants pockets which is the case here. His legs are at a good length since they're longer than the arms and at profile they'd be longer to realistic. So my case is that anatomy is NOT your problem. You have an eccentric art style.

The only real big problem is the guy's right arm

User Image

You should try raising the for arm up like that because it's... well... impossible for me to to touch my arm to my shoulder like that xp .

I really like this. It's quite unique. If you drew all your characters with this archetype, then we'll accept it... hey just look at HEY ARNOLD and see that football head. We love it!

I hope to see more from you soon

Distinct Dabbler

He has no eyebrows and the arm on the swords looks really wrong. The trousers/ pants have no side seamlines but I like the details on the pockets.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff