Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Seriously Sir
Whoops. Matching the mood is sort of important... unless things get too somber/depressing. ; o ; Psst. Dog person over here, too. Gotta love the little rascals. Definitely try to avoid overloading yourself (so much easier said than done, I'll admit). That can lead to artblock and general displeasure of even your best works.

Cheap commissions are where most people start. Don't let that get you down! I used to do art on a couple of different websites, and, even though I had a bigger fan-base on one, I actually had to go back to lower prices for the second just to attract some attention. Each website has its own economy and its own particulars (what people are looking to buy, what is allowed, etc). So there is always that period of wading through the waters while you try to figure out whether or not it is actually safe to swim. I don't know much about Gaia's economy, so I hesitate to offer commission price advice, but I can definitely tell you about dA.

DeviantArt has its ups and downs, but people are usually in the market for adorable art or in-depth cg/traditional paintings. There's a small market for the things in between, but it can be rough. Also, because the site is so big, it is extremely difficult to get yourself out there. I think most people post for about 2-8 months before really collecting more than a few followers who are willing to pay even points for art. Your best bet is to find groups who will feature/allow you to post the types of artwork that you do (e.g.: kawaii/cute art groups, couples art groups, fantasy/gaia related groups, etc.) Something to keep in mind if you do try it. smile

I look forward to seeing what you do with the eyes! A lot of people don't bother with eye whites (it really depends on the style nowadays), but even just highlighted edges on the irises can make a tremendous difference. Just another preference thing for most artists. You can absolutely add me to your friends list! I'm always happy to help and give out advice where it is wanted (smack me if I do it when you don't want it XD). That would probably save this thread from my over-sized, wordy posts. Thanks for saying I seem cool, though! I promise, I am anything but. I'm just a dork with a thing for pretty pictures. XD

Yeah, that's why I mostly opt to listen to music after drawing or before. Lol, my urge to draw has gotten so large that the first thing I did when I woke up was draw. XD I guess that's a good thing because it means my artistic juices are flowing. Yeah, I have one chocolate lab that I love to death. She's ten years old, and it makes me sad to see her get old. I'll keep that in mind. I tend to be my worst critic when it comes to art, but whenever I draw a new piece, I'm thinking it's the best thing I've ever done until I come out with a new piece. It makes me embarrassed to look at my older works. However, in the end, I'm satisfied because it means I've come so far.

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom! I just realized that it also helps to have cheap prices because more people are willing to buy, and it gives you more practice and a larger portfolio. I just created a DeviantArt yesterday to post my edit on the drawing I posted here. (I fixed the eyes, and it turned out looking a LOT better! Thanks so much!) I've heard that it is hard to get yourself out there, and I'm not really looking to "become famous" for lack of a better term. Although, it would be nice for people to enjoy my art! XD

I have the new drawing posted on my DeviantArt page right here. I'm also planning on posting a couple drawing that I'm doing for my friend and I later if you want to check that out. People always say that we're such a great ship, so I figured I'd draw her with me. Lol, I don't mind wordy posts at all! Others might because they take time to respond to, but really, I'm just glad I met someone new who gave me good advice and is willing to help me out long term. :3 I'm also probably not ever going to virtually slap you because I appreciate any and all critique, no matter how harsh. Although, if someone's being an unnecessary jerk, I tend to ignore them. I'm a huge dork as well, so don't let that get you down! I take pride in it.

Man-Hungry Demigod

21,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Key to Victory 50
Sweater Panda

Yeah, that's why I mostly opt to listen to music after drawing or before. Lol, my urge to draw has gotten so large that the first thing I did when I woke up was draw. XD I guess that's a good thing because it means my artistic juices are flowing. Yeah, I have one chocolate lab that I love to death. She's ten years old, and it makes me sad to see her get old. I'll keep that in mind. I tend to be my worst critic when it comes to art, but whenever I draw a new piece, I'm thinking it's the best thing I've ever done until I come out with a new piece. It makes me embarrassed to look at my older works. However, in the end, I'm satisfied because it means I've come so far.

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom! I just realized that it also helps to have cheap prices because more people are willing to buy, and it gives you more practice and a larger portfolio. I just created a DeviantArt yesterday to post my edit on the drawing I posted here. (I fixed the eyes, and it turned out looking a LOT better! Thanks so much!) I've heard that it is hard to get yourself out there, and I'm not really looking to "become famous" for lack of a better term. Although, it would be nice for people to enjoy my art! XD

I have the new drawing posted on my DeviantArt page right here. I'm also planning on posting a couple drawing that I'm doing for my friend and I later if you want to check that out. People always say that we're such a great ship, so I figured I'd draw her with me. Lol, I don't mind wordy posts at all! Others might because they take time to respond to, but really, I'm just glad I met someone new who gave me good advice and is willing to help me out long term. :3 I'm also probably not ever going to virtually slap you because I appreciate any and all critique, no matter how harsh. Although, if someone's being an unnecessary jerk, I tend to ignore them. I'm a huge dork as well, so don't let that get you down! I take pride in it.

Sorry this took so long to get back to! I'm glad you've got the inspiration needed to work on art. Continuing to draw, even just a little bit every day, can be the hardest thing for any artist. It doesn't make you lazy, it just means that is one less bit of practice you get. Awwww! Baby! I have two three year olds, a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd and a Shih-Tzu. They're so dramatic that I actually use them for references on expression-centric pieces. Embarrassment over your older art isn't a bad thing, it just means you can look back and learn from it. Try to pick out the bits that make you the most embarrassed and why. Sure, it seems like self-torture, but it can help you pinpoint your own weaknesses.

Starting out cheap, while feeling self-defeating in most cases, is definitely the way to go. People who refuse to buy from "cheap" artists because they don't like it when people underprice themselves... they don't understand that there's a system to it. Just like any business, getting yourself out there is one of the most important first steps after full set up. DeviantArt is one of the best and worst places about this. Long term, there are plenty of scouts, businesses, and investors who are out to buy art on dA and move that relationship out to private/professional art depending.... butttttt.... With thousands upon thousands of people, it makes it difficult to raise your hand and get noticed. Even if it is just a doodle that feels dumb to you, post it! Sometimes, posting frequently can get you ahead in the race. Most people on dA will unfollow artists who are inactive for so long, even if the artist's posting history shows that they don't post often to begin with. I understand wanting to get your art out there without necessarily being famous. Sometimes, it is just noticed, have people buy things, and leave the occasional comment (especially the appreciative ones, haha). Something to think about while you work your way up that ladder. smile

Oh fantastic! I definitely like what you are doing with the eyes now. Out of curiosity, what tools are you physically using (Mouse/Tablet/etc.)? The couple picture is cute, though it does feel a bit static. I think that is mostly due to using the same pose for both of you. Unfortunately, what makes things easier on us as artists, tends to encumber our ability to portray certain aspects. You know? At the moment, the two of you look like you're together, but still completely separated. Faces are turned slightly opposite each other, and the hands that are partially behind the backs give the subjects an uncomfortable, almost "take the picture and get it over with" kind of feel. Like when you're shoved into a family picture and it's like "oh crap, oh crap... Do I strike a pose? Do I smile? What is everyone else doing? I ONLY HAVE THREE SECONDS QUICK BRAIN WORK,". Ifffff that makes sense? My best critique at the moment is: when doing shippy pictures (even silly ones that don't mean much/are for ships that you don't care for), try to produce more interaction between the characters. (Eyes facing each other, hands touching, reactive expressions, etc.)

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Seriously Sir
Sorry this took so long to get back to! I'm glad you've got the inspiration needed to work on art. Continuing to draw, even just a little bit every day, can be the hardest thing for any artist. It doesn't make you lazy, it just means that is one less bit of practice you get. Awwww! Baby! I have two three year olds, a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd and a Shih-Tzu. They're so dramatic that I actually use them for references on expression-centric pieces. Embarrassment over your older art isn't a bad thing, it just means you can look back and learn from it. Try to pick out the bits that make you the most embarrassed and why. Sure, it seems like self-torture, but it can help you pinpoint your own weaknesses.

Starting out cheap, while feeling self-defeating in most cases, is definitely the way to go. People who refuse to buy from "cheap" artists because they don't like it when people underprice themselves... they don't understand that there's a system to it. Just like any business, getting yourself out there is one of the most important first steps after full set up. DeviantArt is one of the best and worst places about this. Long term, there are plenty of scouts, businesses, and investors who are out to buy art on dA and move that relationship out to private/professional art depending.... butttttt.... With thousands upon thousands of people, it makes it difficult to raise your hand and get noticed. Even if it is just a doodle that feels dumb to you, post it! Sometimes, posting frequently can get you ahead in the race. Most people on dA will unfollow artists who are inactive for so long, even if the artist's posting history shows that they don't post often to begin with. I understand wanting to get your art out there without necessarily being famous. Sometimes, it is just noticed, have people buy things, and leave the occasional comment (especially the appreciative ones, haha). Something to think about while you work your way up that ladder. smile

Oh fantastic! I definitely like what you are doing with the eyes now. Out of curiosity, what tools are you physically using (Mouse/Tablet/etc.)? The couple picture is cute, though it does feel a bit static. I think that is mostly due to using the same pose for both of you. Unfortunately, what makes things easier on us as artists, tends to encumber our ability to portray certain aspects. You know? At the moment, the two of you look like you're together, but still completely separated. Faces are turned slightly opposite each other, and the hands that are partially behind the backs give the subjects an uncomfortable, almost "take the picture and get it over with" kind of feel. Like when you're shoved into a family picture and it's like "oh crap, oh crap... Do I strike a pose? Do I smile? What is everyone else doing? I ONLY HAVE THREE SECONDS QUICK BRAIN WORK,". Ifffff that makes sense? My best critique at the moment is: when doing shippy pictures (even silly ones that don't mean much/are for ships that you don't care for), try to produce more interaction between the characters. (Eyes facing each other, hands touching, reactive expressions, etc.)

You're fine! Don't worry about it! I haven't had much of a chance to get on Gaia lately because I've been staying after school for DI (Destination Imagination) to prepare for the upcoming competition. The teachers also love piling homework on me. I understand what you're saying. I go through phases sometimes where it is hard to find inspiration or I lose it halfway through a drawing. It sucks when that happens, but I need to find ways to overcome it when that happens. Any suggestions or sage words of advice? Your dogs sound just adorable! I love dogs of all breeds, and dogs just entering adulthood are my personal favorites. They're still playful and have energy in them, but they aren't as jumpy as they were when they were a puppy. That is some really good advice that I will use in the future most definitely. I get embarrassed over a lot of my older works, so I will definitely take a step back and hopefully notice things that I don't like that I didn't notice before. I also ask my friend for her opinion on the matter. She knows that she can nitpick my work or be as harsh as she needs to, and I won't care. It helps me out so much!

Thank you for telling me. I want to know what the best route is for getting myself out there. I just want people to enjoy my art, and I want to draw more people and get better and better. I don't understand that logic either. The artist can set their own price, (hopefully being reasonable) and starting out cheap is a really good tactic. I agree with you on that point. Ah, I'll try to be as active as possible and set aside a lot of time for drawing. I definitely want to improve, and that's the first step I guess. In order to improve on something, you have to want to work for it, and that's my philosophy on that. Thank you for informing me of this process and a little about DeviantArt. It is a little confusing the first time you use it, and you really helped me figure some things out and help set the stage. I appreciate it a lot. :3

Thanks, I think it's a lot better as well. I'm glad I fixed it. I would also like to thank you for your new critique on my couple art. I'm going to draw another drawing of our two new avatars and give it another shot. I'll try to incorporate some fun poses or facial expressions. I think I'm going to have to study body language more closely. I pored over it a little bit about half a year ago because it interested me. I'll be going more in-depth though. I have a drawing tablet that I use for my art, by the way. I bought it a while back, but I just now sat here to think about it, and the tablet completely revolutionized my art skills and got me one step further in the art world. It would be a lot harder to find other critics for my art by using traditional methods when my laptop camera sucks, and I can't scan any papers in. I'll have to show you the new drawing when I'm done with it. Would you prefer it in this thread or via PM? I don't care, so I figured I'd get your opinion on the matter.

Man-Hungry Demigod

21,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Key to Victory 50
Sweater Panda

You're fine! Don't worry about it! I haven't had much of a chance to get on Gaia lately because I've been staying after school for DI (Destination Imagination) to prepare for the upcoming competition. The teachers also love piling homework on me. I understand what you're saying. I go through phases sometimes where it is hard to find inspiration or I lose it halfway through a drawing. It sucks when that happens, but I need to find ways to overcome it when that happens. Any suggestions or sage words of advice? Your dogs sound just adorable! I love dogs of all breeds, and dogs just entering adulthood are my personal favorites. They're still playful and have energy in them, but they aren't as jumpy as they were when they were a puppy. That is some really good advice that I will use in the future most definitely. I get embarrassed over a lot of my older works, so I will definitely take a step back and hopefully notice things that I don't like that I didn't notice before. I also ask my friend for her opinion on the matter. She knows that she can nitpick my work or be as harsh as she needs to, and I won't care. It helps me out so much!

Thank you for telling me. I want to know what the best route is for getting myself out there. I just want people to enjoy my art, and I want to draw more people and get better and better. I don't understand that logic either. The artist can set their own price, (hopefully being reasonable) and starting out cheap is a really good tactic. I agree with you on that point. Ah, I'll try to be as active as possible and set aside a lot of time for drawing. I definitely want to improve, and that's the first step I guess. In order to improve on something, you have to want to work for it, and that's my philosophy on that. Thank you for informing me of this process and a little about DeviantArt. It is a little confusing the first time you use it, and you really helped me figure some things out and help set the stage. I appreciate it a lot. :3

Thanks, I think it's a lot better as well. I'm glad I fixed it. I would also like to thank you for your new critique on my couple art. I'm going to draw another drawing of our two new avatars and give it another shot. I'll try to incorporate some fun poses or facial expressions. I think I'm going to have to study body language more closely. I pored over it a little bit about half a year ago because it interested me. I'll be going more in-depth though. I have a drawing tablet that I use for my art, by the way. I bought it a while back, but I just now sat here to think about it, and the tablet completely revolutionized my art skills and got me one step further in the art world. It would be a lot harder to find other critics for my art by using traditional methods when my laptop camera sucks, and I can't scan any papers in. I'll have to show you the new drawing when I'm done with it. Would you prefer it in this thread or via PM? I don't care, so I figured I'd get your opinion on the matter.

Ah! Understandable. School stuff is important. Good for you on preparing for the competition instead of just waiting until the last minute, haha. Hmmm... Honestly, when it comes to losing inspiration for one picture, I find it helps to start another. I know it sounds silly, but sometimes doodle pages or working on something that has been bouncing around in your head can open you back up to inspiration. Also, if you're a gamer, there's nothing better than taking a day or two to just marathon something fun. That can be a great way to ease the pressure off of yourself to get the picture done and make it less stifling (just don't do it too long if you're on an actual deadline). Having a friend who can nit-pick at you is also a wonderful thing in that situation also. The littlest things can be the biggest buggers. Just like with dogs. My Shih-Tzu is thinks he's as big as the Great Pyretolian Shepherd and goes quite crazy on occasion. Silly babies. I definitely love them at this age, too; though the lifespan difference definitely starts to show around the 3-5 year mark as well, sadly.

No problem! I'll be happy to share whatever knowledge I have with you on... whatever I can help with! This would probably be better for PM for forum rules sake. Better safe than sorry. smile Drawing tablets are amazing. I got my first one a few years ago and it blew my mind. I see what you mean about asking for critiques between the two mediums though. That was a duh moment on my part. I'd love, love, love to see the new drawing when you finish. Body language can be tough to learn from any book or photo. I tend to draw from my memories, what I see around me, or videos for the best interactions. Most pictures will have a static-ness to them (that's why it's called static cling right? Badumbumchhh), so don't feel like you have to get too intricate with it either.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff