Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Yesterday, I drew this art as a freebie to one of my friends. If you're wondering what program I used, I used Sai. I mainly draw stylized anime. I was wondering what you think about it, ways I could improve, and what something like this might be priced. I'm not greatly concerned with pricing, however, I would like to know in case I ever do decide to open a shop up in the future.

User Image

Charitable Friend

6,625 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
Cute! May I suggest, if you're using Sai, to use the stabilizer tool for your lineart? It's at the top (somewhere, sorry, it's been awhile since I've used Sai ;;; ). Change it to 6 or 7. It'll make your lines straighter! There are also tons of tutorials on deviantart and tumblr about how to draw hands, heads, eyes, use the program in general, etc. If you want to improve try some of these sites:

http://art-help.tumblr.com/

http://art-tutorials.tumblr.com/

http://help-me-draw.tumblr.com/

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
she was my humanity
Cute! May I suggest, if you're using Sai, to use the stabilizer tool for your lineart? It's at the top (somewhere, sorry, it's been awhile since I've used Sai ;;; ). Change it to 6 or 7. It'll make your lines straighter! There are also tons of tutorials on deviantart and tumblr about how to draw hands, heads, eyes, use the program in general, etc. If you want to improve try some of these sites:

http://art-help.tumblr.com/

http://art-tutorials.tumblr.com/

http://help-me-draw.tumblr.com/

Thank you! I'll be sure to look for it the next time I do a drawing. :3 Straight lines rarely ever happen with me, and I have to draw over and over until I get the perfect line. Also, thanks for the links! I'll be sure to check them out soon and start drawing. XD

Divine General

10,650 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hunter 50
You might want to post in the pricing forum for price quotes smile

Hm you might want to read up some tutorials on anatomy as suggested by the poster above. The proportions are off. Understanding anatomy would address the issue directly and help you learn and improve really quickly. Good attempt!

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Asteriale

Hm you might want to read up some tutorials on anatomy as suggested by the poster above. The proportions are off. Understanding anatomy would address the issue directly and help you learn and improve really quickly. Good attempt!

Thank you for your advice! XD
I've read up on anatomy and practice it, but I can never really get the hang of it. I'll try again, but it might be a while before the issue's fixed.
Also, I thank you for your compliments.

Divine General

10,650 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hunter 50
Sweater Panda
Asteriale

Thank you for your advice! XD
I've read up on anatomy and practice it, but I can never really get the hang of it. I'll try again, but it might be a while before the issue's fixed.
Also, I thank you for your compliments.
My pleasure. Just keep going, you'll get the hang of it ultimately wink We all started somewhere.

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Asteriale
My pleasure. Just keep going, you'll get the hang of it ultimately wink We all started somewhere.

When I get the hang of it, I'll draw your avatar as a thank-you. :3

Divine General

10,650 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hunter 50
Sweater Panda
Asteriale

When I get the hang of it, I'll draw your avatar as a thank-you. :3
No need, dear wink I mess with my avatar way too much anyway.

If you have a DA, come and say hi to little ol' me razz Haha!

Man-Hungry Demigod

21,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Key to Victory 50
This is pretty precious, I'll admit.

As for critiquing, using SAI can come with a lot of benefits. I for one, adore the stabilizer (I couldn't line without it with these shaky hands, haha). Some people will fire me for saying this, but looking at and working on shapes while drawing can actually help... especially with stylized work. This can give off and lead into several effects ranging from (but not limited to): varied height and proportion, pointed vs. round faces, and even little details like how some fabric folds.

If you're having trouble just from studying anatomy with books, lectures, photography, or step-by-step tutorials, you can always try to catch livestreams on different websites (livestream, picarto, youtube live, etc...) to see how other artists make it work. Sometimes, it isn't that you don't (or can't) understand it, it is more along the lines of needing something rearranged for you. You don't necessarily want to copy the artist you are watching, but, sometimes, it can help things click. I used to have a terrible time drawing hands. No matter how many tutorials I looked up, no matter how many photographs I attempted to redraw, etc. It was frustrating as all get out, but, one day, when watching another artist stream, I saw where they started and how they made the connections between the joints, and it occurred to me exactly what I'd been doing wrong. Everyone has different learning styles. Definitely practice, and draw what you like to draw. Having fun can make all of the difference!

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Seriously Sir

As for critiquing, using SAI can come with a lot of benefits. I for one, adore the stabilizer (I couldn't line without it with these shaky hands, haha). Some people will fire me for saying this, but looking at and working on shapes while drawing can actually help... especially with stylized work. This can give off and lead into several effects ranging from (but not limited to): varied height and proportion, pointed vs. round faces, and even little details like how some fabric folds.

If you're having trouble just from studying anatomy with books, lectures, photography, or step-by-step tutorials, you can always try to catch livestreams on different websites (livestream, picarto, youtube live, etc...) to see how other artists make it work. Sometimes, it isn't that you don't (or can't) understand it, it is more along the lines of needing something rearranged for you. You don't necessarily want to copy the artist you are watching, but, sometimes, it can help things click. I used to have a terrible time drawing hands. No matter how many tutorials I looked up, no matter how many photographs I attempted to redraw, etc. It was frustrating as all get out, but, one day, when watching another artist stream, I saw where they started and how they made the connections between the joints, and it occurred to me exactly what I'd been doing wrong. Everyone has different learning styles. Definitely practice, and draw what you like to draw. Having fun can make all of the difference!

Thank you! It means so much for me to hear your compliment. XD

The next drawing I'm going to draw, I'll be sure to use the stabilizer and familiarize myself with it. I'll also try starting out drawing basic shapes, developing it into a body, and going from there like I've been doing. Your advice means so much to me. :3

That sounds like it will be a huge help to me! I'm more of a visual learner, so I'm sort of surprised I didn't realize that sooner. Lol. I understand what you mean by watching them and replicating it without copying their style. Congratulations on mastering hands! I still can't draw hands very well, but I'm sure with a lot of practice, I'll get there. I've got a lot of stuff to try, but I have a long weekend ahead of me. I'll try to have as much fun as possible without hurting my hand too badly.

Man-Hungry Demigod

21,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Key to Victory 50
Sweater Panda
Seriously Sir

Thank you! It means so much for me to hear your compliment. XD

The next drawing I'm going to draw, I'll be sure to use the stabilizer and familiarize myself with it. I'll also try starting out drawing basic shapes, developing it into a body, and going from there like I've been doing. Your advice means so much to me. :3

That sounds like it will be a huge help to me! I'm more of a visual learner, so I'm sort of surprised I didn't realize that sooner. Lol. I understand what you mean by watching them and replicating it without copying their style. Congratulations on mastering hands! I still can't draw hands very well, but I'm sure with a lot of practice, I'll get there. I've got a lot of stuff to try, but I have a long weekend ahead of me. I'll try to have as much fun as possible without hurting my hand too badly.

Thank you! <3
Be forewarned, hands are still pretty naff to draw even when you think you know what you're doing. Haha! XD

I'm glad I could help! Something to think about doing when you have the time to play around... Just open up a new canvas and try every tool. Poke all the buttons! You might find a new favorite brush or setting that will really help you come into your own.

Andddd.... Another suggestion, if you have Skype, a good friend, and a computer that can handle share screening, try to do some art hangouts! Outside eyes can be the difference between a good bit of art and a masterpiece that you can look back on and still be proud of.

Oh... and don't over work yourself! If something bothers you about a part of the picture you are working on, don't let it frustrate you to the point of no return. XD Come back to it after working on something else, or even after getting up and doing a different activity entirely.

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Seriously Sir
Thank you! <3
Be forewarned, hands are still pretty naff to draw even when you think you know what you're doing. Haha! XD

I'm glad I could help! Something to think about doing when you have the time to play around... Just open up a new canvas and try every tool. Poke all the buttons! You might find a new favorite brush or setting that will really help you come into your own.

Andddd.... Another suggestion, if you have Skype, a good friend, and a computer that can handle share screening, try to do some art hangouts! Outside eyes can be the difference between a good bit of art and a masterpiece that you can look back on and still be proud of.

Oh... and don't over work yourself! If something bothers you about a part of the picture you are working on, don't let it frustrate you to the point of no return. XD Come back to it after working on something else, or even after getting up and doing a different activity entirely.

Thanks for the warning! XD Hands are so essential for life, and they look so simple, but they're a pain to draw. It amazes me to this day.

I'm very thankful that you took time out of your day to look at my work and give me some advice. :3 Critique takes a lot of time to write. Lol, I love pushing buttons. I usually use the pen tool, and I know MS Paint, which I used to use in the past, uses the binary tool. It's going to be fun to experiment.

I don't have a Skype because I never really took the time to make one. I probably should, now that I think about it. I do use join.me and watch some of my friends when they stream. I've watched some artists in the past, and they helped me to create part of my routine when I draw. I'll make a Skype soon and try it though. Sounds like fun. XD

Heh, easier said than done. I have a bad habit to worry and get frustrated over nothing. I've been trying to step back when things start getting frustrating. However, I still have a long way to go. I'm sure I'll get there eventually though. XD

Man-Hungry Demigod

21,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Key to Victory 50
Sweater Panda
Seriously Sir
Thank you! <3

Thanks for the warning! XD Hands are so essential for life, and they look so simple, but they're a pain to draw. It amazes me to this day.

I'm very thankful that you took time out of your day to look at my work and give me some advice. :3 Critique takes a lot of time to write. Lol, I love pushing buttons. I usually use the pen tool, and I know MS Paint, which I used to use in the past, uses the binary tool. It's going to be fun to experiment.

I don't have a Skype because I never really took the time to make one. I probably should, now that I think about it. I do use join.me and watch some of my friends when they stream. I've watched some artists in the past, and they helped me to create part of my routine when I draw. I'll make a Skype soon and try it though. Sounds like fun. XD

Heh, easier said than done. I have a bad habit to worry and get frustrated over nothing. I've been trying to step back when things start getting frustrating. However, I still have a long way to go. I'm sure I'll get there eventually though. XD

It's no problem! I'm glad my rambling could actually be helpful.

There is a binary tool in SAI for people who like to do pixel art, but I tend to just admire it from afar. I know a lot of artists use the airbrush tool with the square setting (where you can pick the type of tip/edge of the brush) or the marker tool (unsure of the settings) for lineart. Just gotta derp around with it.

Skype can be kind of silly when it comes to it, but it's a good way to chat without having to look away from what you're doing. And the live time feed back from someone you trust is always fantastic. Join.me is pretty good, too... Knew I was forgetting a few of the major stream sites. You can do similar things that way (it might be easier on your computer, too).

YouTube is the best at distracting me from my art woes. Maybe put on some fun jams in the background when you're by yourself... or look at cute kittens when you rage. Do people still do that? The trick (at least for me), is to step back and evaluate exactly why I am frustrated with the art. If it has to do with other people (unless it is a gift/commission), then I try to push the reason out of my head. Ultimately, you'll do the majority of your artwork for yourself. So, as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Sounds cheesy, but it works.

Also, if you want to do whites on the eyes/add more contrast to brighten them (something I just realized I forgot to add to my original critique/suggestion), put the white where you want it, and, if it looks too stark/makes you uncomfortable, blend it out with the brush, marker, oil, or water tool (your preference) to soften it. You can do this with highlights and all sorts of other things, too. Things like this can add that extra something to already adorable art like yours. smile

Nerdy Oatmeal's Partner

High-functioning Phantom

14,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Seriously Sir
It's no problem! I'm glad my rambling could actually be helpful.

There is a binary tool in SAI for people who like to do pixel art, but I tend to just admire it from afar. I know a lot of artists use the airbrush tool with the square setting (where you can pick the type of tip/edge of the brush) or the marker tool (unsure of the settings) for lineart. Just gotta derp around with it.

Skype can be kind of silly when it comes to it, but it's a good way to chat without having to look away from what you're doing. And the live time feed back from someone you trust is always fantastic. Join.me is pretty good, too... Knew I was forgetting a few of the major stream sites. You can do similar things that way (it might be easier on your computer, too).

YouTube is the best at distracting me from my art woes. Maybe put on some fun jams in the background when you're by yourself... or look at cute kittens when you rage. Do people still do that? The trick (at least for me), is to step back and evaluate exactly why I am frustrated with the art. If it has to do with other people (unless it is a gift/commission), then I try to push the reason out of my head. Ultimately, you'll do the majority of your artwork for yourself. So, as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Sounds cheesy, but it works.

Also, if you want to do whites on the eyes/add more contrast to brighten them (something I just realized I forgot to add to my original critique/suggestion), put the white where you want it, and, if it looks too stark/makes you uncomfortable, blend it out with the brush, marker, oil, or water tool (your preference) to soften it. You can do this with highlights and all sorts of other things, too. Things like this can add that extra something to already adorable art like yours. smile

Lol, I don't necessarily consider it to be rambling because it's actually proven to be pretty helpful. If it wasn't going to be helpful, I wouldn't have responded. XD

Oh, I never really knew that. (The more you know~) I tried doing pixel art in the past, and it's just not my forte. However, I have seen people do some really nice pixel art, and I'm like: "Ooh~ Gimme! Gimme!" :3 But in Gaia reality, I could never afford it. It kind of makes me glad to be able to draw my own art because decent art is really expensive nowadays, and good art is even more expensive. XP My best friend used the airbrush for a couple of her drawings, and it looks really neat. I'm thinking of toying around with it and seeing if it works for me. I'll also try out the marker, but I don't necessarily think I'll like it. Hey, you never know though.

Lol, don't worry about forgetting. I think I'll mainly stick to sharing my artwork on Gaia, join.me, and Skype. I've also been thinking about making a DeviantArt, but I'm not entirely sure. Gaia has been a really big help for me so far, and join.me is fun for when I'm connecting with my friends or watching someone else draw.

Heh, I love putting on music when I draw. Although, I feel that when I do so, I incorporate the mood of the music I'm listening to into the drawing. The only time that really sucks is when I'm trying to draw someone serious, and I have fun, lighthearted music playing in the background. TnT I look at cute puppy pictures. I think kittens are cute, but I've always been a dog person myself. I agree that stepping back from your artwork and doing something else is extremely helpful. Sometimes, I get filled with drawing overload. I normally evaluate what's frustrating me when I have a clearer perspective. I have done commissions in the past for cheap prices. (The highest price was 700K for a couple drawing .w.) You're right. I mainly do draw for myself because I tend to be picky at times. That being said, I like stepping out of my comfort zone occasionally and drawing some freebies.

Thank you so much for the new suggestions! XD Something about the eyes kind of frightened me (for lack of a better word) with this particular drawing. However, since the eyes were yellow, I was having a hard time finding two colors that you could see the difference in hues. I think I made it clashing. I'll try fixing that and seeing how that affects the drawing. D'aww! Thanks! Cute art has always appealed to me, and it's a lot of fun to draw. I'll show you the difference in the eyes when I make the edit. (Could take a while)

By the way, would you mind if I added you to my Friends List? I'm always creating new pieces of artwork, and I'm going to keep on trying to improve. I'd like some advice in the future, and you seem like a really cool person to talk to.

Man-Hungry Demigod

21,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • The Key to Victory 50
Sweater Panda

Lol, I don't necessarily consider it to be rambling because it's actually proven to be pretty helpful. If it wasn't going to be helpful, I wouldn't have responded. XD

Oh, I never really knew that. (The more you know~) I tried doing pixel art in the past, and it's just not my forte. However, I have seen people do some really nice pixel art, and I'm like: "Ooh~ Gimme! Gimme!" :3 But in Gaia reality, I could never afford it. It kind of makes me glad to be able to draw my own art because decent art is really expensive nowadays, and good art is even more expensive. XP My best friend used the airbrush for a couple of her drawings, and it looks really neat. I'm thinking of toying around with it and seeing if it works for me. I'll also try out the marker, but I don't necessarily think I'll like it. Hey, you never know though.

Lol, don't worry about forgetting. I think I'll mainly stick to sharing my artwork on Gaia, join.me, and Skype. I've also been thinking about making a DeviantArt, but I'm not entirely sure. Gaia has been a really big help for me so far, and join.me is fun for when I'm connecting with my friends or watching someone else draw.

Heh, I love putting on music when I draw. Although, I feel that when I do so, I incorporate the mood of the music I'm listening to into the drawing. The only time that really sucks is when I'm trying to draw someone serious, and I have fun, lighthearted music playing in the background. TnT I look at cute puppy pictures. I think kittens are cute, but I've always been a dog person myself. I agree that stepping back from your artwork and doing something else is extremely helpful. Sometimes, I get filled with drawing overload. I normally evaluate what's frustrating me when I have a clearer perspective. I have done commissions in the past for cheap prices. (The highest price was 700K for a couple drawing .w.) You're right. I mainly do draw for myself because I tend to be picky at times. That being said, I like stepping out of my comfort zone occasionally and drawing some freebies.

Thank you so much for the new suggestions! XD Something about the eyes kind of frightened me (for lack of a better word) with this particular drawing. However, since the eyes were yellow, I was having a hard time finding two colors that you could see the difference in hues. I think I made it clashing. I'll try fixing that and seeing how that affects the drawing. D'aww! Thanks! Cute art has always appealed to me, and it's a lot of fun to draw. I'll show you the difference in the eyes when I make the edit. (Could take a while)

By the way, would you mind if I added you to my Friends List? I'm always creating new pieces of artwork, and I'm going to keep on trying to improve. I'd like some advice in the future, and you seem like a really cool person to talk to.

Whoops. Matching the mood is sort of important... unless things get too somber/depressing. ; o ; Psst. Dog person over here, too. Gotta love the little rascals. Definitely try to avoid overloading yourself (so much easier said than done, I'll admit). That can lead to artblock and general displeasure of even your best works.

Cheap commissions are where most people start. Don't let that get you down! I used to do art on a couple of different websites, and, even though I had a bigger fan-base on one, I actually had to go back to lower prices for the second just to attract some attention. Each website has its own economy and its own particulars (what people are looking to buy, what is allowed, etc). So there is always that period of wading through the waters while you try to figure out whether or not it is actually safe to swim. I don't know much about Gaia's economy, so I hesitate to offer commission price advice, but I can definitely tell you about dA.

DeviantArt has its ups and downs, but people are usually in the market for adorable art or in-depth cg/traditional paintings. There's a small market for the things in between, but it can be rough. Also, because the site is so big, it is extremely difficult to get yourself out there. I think most people post for about 2-8 months before really collecting more than a few followers who are willing to pay even points for art. Your best bet is to find groups who will feature/allow you to post the types of artwork that you do (e.g.: kawaii/cute art groups, couples art groups, fantasy/gaia related groups, etc.) Something to keep in mind if you do try it. smile

I look forward to seeing what you do with the eyes! A lot of people don't bother with eye whites (it really depends on the style nowadays), but even just highlighted edges on the irises can make a tremendous difference. Just another preference thing for most artists. You can absolutely add me to your friends list! I'm always happy to help and give out advice where it is wanted (smack me if I do it when you don't want it XD). That would probably save this thread from my over-sized, wordy posts. Thanks for saying I seem cool, though! I promise, I am anything but. I'm just a dork with a thing for pretty pictures. XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff