Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Phantom

Thumbnail!
User Image
Old pic for comparison
User Image

For larger view, please click the pic!

Hey, folks! It's been a while! I figured I'd see what kind of good feedback y'all have for me on this pic. Please don't hold back; I can't improve if I don't know what's wrong. biggrin

UPDATE:
Based on feedback, I've reworked some things. Improved? Needs more?
So the picture is pretty gosh darned amazing; however, I think the background looks a little unpolished compared to the rest of the picture.

I wish I could place my finger on exactly why it looks this way to me, but I'm thinking that maybe if you darken some of the shadows and maybe add add a touch of the orange light that's prominent in the foreground to the drapes, it might look more finished.
Dayum, this is beautiful! Nicely rendered, nice style.

Feet look a little weird... it took me a little while to understand that one of the shoes is sunken into the couch... but the couch is totally lost in shadow there. I think just a bit of saturated highlight to the top of arm rest of that couch there (something similar to the brightest top of that couch), to define it a little bit more, would help.

Drapes are about the same value as the brightest spot of the couch, so they are kinda merging... need a lil' more value separation there, I think. Either brighten that couch a bit more, and/or push the drapes back by making 'em a lil' overall lighter. What could be cool too is have a crescent sliver of lightness on that top of the couch that that would not only help with value separation, but help lead the eye to the face/upper body of the character.

Beautiful work!
Your shading is excellent, if feels like you can really manipulate the colors to get where you need to be

I only feel like it falls short in the folds of the dress, the material the way it's shaded looks thick, but it doesn't look like it's falling heavy. It needs a bit more weight I think the folds need to be closer to her body, and the ground.

The pillow also needs a few folds under her, to show her weight is on it.

Hygienic Fairy

It is absolutely beautiful but the painting is drab and the shading is not consistent. For instance the curtain that is hidden behind the sofa and under it's arm (closest to the floor on the side with her head) it quite brightly shaded! Compared to the darkness of the rest of the piece it should also be quite dark The corset she has on is not shaded enough and appears to just sit on the image instead of being a part of it.

Her wrist (holding the billhook) is also lacks a bit of bone structure (knuckles and lacking the predominant radius bone) to keep it looking as if it is stretched out and a bit more comfortable. Maybe also to keep the piece looking a little less drab add hints of the orange color through the curtain's shaded areas to keep it a little warm and consistent, as the hot and cool colors are competing in the space and do not allow the observer to relax while looking at the piece (might be intentional). In relativity to movement and prop positioning my eyes are constantly lead off the page instead of being kept at the main attraction of the piece.

Lovely piece but

- Inconsistent shadows (curtains, feet, clothing)
- The anatomy of the arm
- Eyes do not stay on the page

Keep going it's looking lovely!

Dapper Phantom

Ahhh, feedback. I knew I could count on y'all!

Raspberl
So the picture is pretty gosh darned amazing; however, I think the background looks a little unpolished compared to the rest of the picture.

I wish I could place my finger on exactly why it looks this way to me, but I'm thinking that maybe if you darken some of the shadows and maybe add add a touch of the orange light that's prominent in the foreground to the drapes, it might look more finished.

Part of it is that the drapes are definitely not as defined. Perhaps cleaning up the outlines on them may help? I did bring some warmth to them as I worked, but I can see how they might need more. Thank you so much for taking a look!

Dapper Phantom

Shadowolf
Dayum, this is beautiful! Nicely rendered, nice style.

Feet look a little weird... it took me a little while to understand that one of the shoes is sunken into the couch... but the couch is totally lost in shadow there. I think just a bit of saturated highlight to the top of arm rest of that couch there (something similar to the brightest top of that couch), to define it a little bit more, would help.

Drapes are about the same value as the brightest spot of the couch, so they are kinda merging... need a lil' more value separation there, I think. Either brighten that couch a bit more, and/or push the drapes back by making 'em a lil' overall lighter. What could be cool too is have a crescent sliver of lightness on that top of the couch that that would not only help with value separation, but help lead the eye to the face/upper body of the character.

Beautiful work!

Ah, I see what you mean there on the couch arm. And... *checks greyscale* ohmygoodness, I didn't realize the couch nearly matches the drapes. Definitely appreciate the crit! I've been working on composition and trying to pay more attention to flow, so the tips help! Thanks!

Dapper Phantom

GrizzlyBear0432
Your shading is excellent, if feels like you can really manipulate the colors to get where you need to be

I only feel like it falls short in the folds of the dress, the material the way it's shaded looks thick, but it doesn't look like it's falling heavy. It needs a bit more weight I think the folds need to be closer to her body, and the ground.

The pillow also needs a few folds under her, to show her weight is on it.

*nods* Cloth draping practice, here I am come. I wasn't sure how much of the pillow needed to be shown/defined, but I will take a closer look at that. Thank you so much for the help!

Dapper Phantom

Tattooed Priestess
It is absolutely beautiful but the painting is drab and the shading is not consistent. For instance the curtain that is hidden behind the sofa and under it's arm (closest to the floor on the side with her head) it quite brightly shaded! Compared to the darkness of the rest of the piece it should also be quite dark The corset she has on is not shaded enough and appears to just sit on the image instead of being a part of it.

Her wrist (holding the billhook) is also lacks a bit of bone structure (knuckles and lacking the predominant radius bone) to keep it looking as if it is stretched out and a bit more comfortable. Maybe also to keep the piece looking a little less drab add hints of the orange color through the curtain's shaded areas to keep it a little warm and consistent, as the hot and cool colors are competing in the space and do not allow the observer to relax while looking at the piece (might be intentional). In relativity to movement and prop positioning my eyes are constantly lead off the page instead of being kept at the main attraction of the piece.

Lovely piece but

- Inconsistent shadows (curtains, feet, clothing)
- The anatomy of the arm
- Eyes do not stay on the page

Keep going it's looking lovely!

Hey, I recognize you! Long time no see! biggrin

Eye flow: is it just the colors that keep the eye from settling, or are there any other compositional issues you see? I was very much playing with the flow, but did notice I don't settle anywhere. Not necessarily a bad thing, but could be better.
Very much obliged for the critique. Will definitely work on the anatomy and shading consistency.

Hygienic Fairy

euclids_triangle
Tattooed Priestess
snip!

Hey, I recognize you! Long time no see! biggrin

Eye flow: is it just the colors that keep the eye from settling, or are there any other compositional issues you see? I was very much playing with the flow, but did notice I don't settle anywhere. Not necessarily a bad thing, but could be better.
Very much obliged for the critique. Will definitely work on the anatomy and shading consistency.

You are quite welcome! Glad you recognize me haha! It's been a while and your art has improved so much since a few years ago! You got it going on my friend. It's also great to see you still play on this once in a while too! The advice is golden smile

As for the eye flow, it's not only quite the competing colors, but instead how the flow of fabric goes from top to bottom and moves the eyes directly off the page. The competing colors just make it a little hard to focus on her. I think maybe adding at very low opacity some orange color here and there just to help the eyes adjust around the image. A simple subliminal technique like this can work wonders and pull a piece together. Thanks for the tip lol! When did this feature come about?

Dapper Phantom

Tattooed Priestess

You are quite welcome! Glad you recognize me haha! It's been a while and your art has improved so much since a few years ago! You got it going on my friend. It's also great to see you still play on this once in a while too! The advice is golden smile

As for the eye flow, it's not only quite the competing colors, but instead how the flow of fabric goes from top to bottom and moves the eyes directly off the page. The competing colors just make it a little hard to focus on her. I think maybe adding at very low opacity some orange color here and there just to help the eyes adjust around the image. A simple subliminal technique like this can work wonders and pull a piece together. Thanks for the tip lol! When did this feature come about?

Lol. My avatar fella tends to pop into my doodles to remind me I haven't changed his outfit in a while, so I come back to keep him well-dressed and to check out the PP/C&C. Always good to see some of the old regulars still around. biggrin

Hmmm. I'm going to play around with this pic some more when I get the chance. See if I can get those colors in the drapes and on the couch right, especially.

(No idea when the tipping thing came about. I have noticed the tip amount has kept up with inflation, though.)

Dapper Phantom

Reworked some things based on feedback. Improved? Needs more?

Hygienic Fairy

Wow! The changes are incredible! It looks so mysterious and my eyes have a nice place to rest. The shading and reworking your drapery has really made the biggest difference. The wrist looks much more natural now, and the colors are less competitive with one another. You sir have really made some great improvements on this piece! I love it and, thank you for sending me an update! I love the changes!
Oh wow, you really changed a lot. I like this version a lot more. Its much more visually interesting, the lighting is great, and all the details look so much more refined!
Wow, great job on the changes, thanks for the update as well! I definitely like it a lot more ,the drapes are much more appealling, there is much more clear contrast, and definitely help lead the eye more. Beautiful work!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff