Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lavish Spirit

Every single smartarse who posted here saying 'your lineart sucks,
you didnt sketch,
you cant color,
you cant draw'

Well my dears, Im going to prove you wrong okay? Just that I had a sloppy lineart, for asking tips of how to use my colors and how to shadow, doesnt mean, that im a s**t in drawing, okay?
Just wait. I will use every tip I get and at one point, Im going to rub it under your nose, of how much of an 'influence' you were.

P.S. I did ask for critisizm, but I also wanted to get tips in the same post.

Rainbow Harvester

DAFUK. Is a girl with a beard?

Lavish Spirit

Noxar
Not really, no, Gon.
Btw, stop trolling around in a serious post, I have grown out from your foolishness.

Winner

Wolfertons
Noxar
Not really, no, Gon.
Btw, stop trolling around in a serious post, I have grown out from your foolishness.

I don't think he is trolling. In my opinion, it does look like a female except for the beard.

I think you need more work on the anatomy and the way cloth/clothes look when being moved or worn in a certain way.

Also, I noticed quite a gap between the legs but people don't tend to have than much space unless they're extremely (and possibly unhealthily) skinny.

There are some other things too but I'm not exactly sure how to explain so I'll let someone else point them out.

Lavish Spirit

Induced Euphoria
Wolfertons
Noxar
Not really, no, Gon.

I don't think he is trolling. In my opinion, it does look like a female except for the beard.

I think you need more work on the anatomy and the way cloth/clothes look when being moved or worn in a certain way.

Also, I noticed quite a gap between the legs but people don't tend to have than much space unless they're extremely (and possibly unhealthily) skinny.

There are some other things too but I'm not exactly sure how to explain so I'll let someone else point them out.
He is my friend and i know thathe picks on me. lol
and its the yakisoba shift legs.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
You got to remember, that item is extremly stylized and it does not work well with your other choices and simply looks out of place.
My reccomendation would be to leave already stylized tutorials for now and draw from life the way you really see things proportion-wise. After a while you will be able to figure out how stylization works and see what really lyes behind certain choices.
Or you can do what you do now and simply enjoy drawing and not caring much for end products quality.

Lavish Spirit

The Zorya
You got to remember, that item is extremly stylized and it does not work well with your other choices and simply looks out of place.
My reccomendation would be to leave already stylized tutorials for now and draw from life the way you really see things proportion-wise. After a while you will be able to figure out how stylization works and see what really lyes behind certain choices.
Or you can do what you do now and simply enjoy drawing and not caring much for end products quality.
stylization is mine, i just checked the tutorials for coloring and shading.
Magic wand melted my brain thrice.

Rainbow Harvester

Wolfertons
Noxar
Not really, no, Gon.

PSHHH fine, but I still think that's a beard. = v=''
Asides from that the proportion of the arms are wrong, but in general I suggest making a sketch first like marking the head with a circle & following the same idea from half to half of the drawing, in a way to make it look more perfect. emotion_dowant

Lavish Spirit

Noxar
PSHHH fine, but I still think that's a beard. = v=''
Asides from that the proportion of the arms are wrong, but in general I suggest making a sketch first like marking the head with a circle & following the same idea from half to half of the drawing, in a way to make it look more perfect. emotion_dowant
That is a beard, idiot.
and i do make sketches, but that wasnt about the proportions, it was about the coloring and shading classified_fu
Looks like a homeless girl with a beard to me.

Also, were you really using tutorials? There's hardly any shading, the skin tone is blotchy instead of blushy (it makes her look frostbitten, not cute) and I'd love to know which one told you to add those random hash marks all over everything, it makes her look dirty.

You should probably forget the painting tutorials and go back to looking up drawing tutorials. Your linework is sloppy and your anatomy needs serious work (especially the hands: four pointy fingers on one hand and ... a random, withered digit coming randomly out of the palm of the other?). It's really obvious you didn't start with a sketching phase, or if you did, you didn't revise it at all.

Lavish Spirit

Matsunaga Kaede
Looks like a homeless girl with a beard to me.

Also, were you really using tutorials? There's hardly any shading, the skin tone is blotchy instead of blushy (it makes her look frostbitten, not cute) and I'd love to know which one told you to add those random hash marks all over everything, it makes her look dirty.

You should probably forget the painting tutorials and go back to looking up drawing tutorials. Your linework is sloppy and your anatomy needs serious work (especially the hands: four pointy fingers on one hand and ... a random, withered digit coming randomly out of the palm of the other?). It's really obvious you didn't start with a sketching phase, or if you did, you didn't revise it at all.

It was just one of the drawings, why does nobody understand?
This sloppy thing was made in fast pace (and i did sketch) so i could practise coloring. But since people in picture post DONT seem to read at all, so just whatever.
No one even gives me tips, lol. You guys just say 'your homeless girl is sloppy! blaah. aodgruioagruio' Then give me tips and some drawn examples. I know I did say critisize, but im pretty sure i also said 'give me tips'

Dapper Dabbler

6,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Millionaire 200
Cracks knuckles!!

Colouring is hard, good on you for practising!

Remember though, one of the first and formost rules in colouring properly - there is no such thing as a white highlight, let alone a white highlight on every single thing. Different surfaces have different textures that reflect light in different ways, and skin and, especially, cloth are some of the ones that reflect the least amount of light. They shouldn't be swimming with shine unless absolutely everything is made of pvc!!

Instead of using highlights to define areas use shadows. And.... oh my god is that..... did you use the Burn brush.

REARS UP AND HISSES

Don't ever think of touching the burn or dodge tools to shade. Use them as sparingly as possible, for touching up areas you want to be slightly darker, or areas you want a light bloom on. Why? 1) It's lazy and you won't be learning how to actually paint with normal brushes which requires you to actually think about colour choice which is incredibly important with shading and colour. 2) It's a really gross airbrush tool and makes shadows almost filthy looking, because it isn't a uniform shadow - there's weird areas where you might have held it down longer but didn't get blended in properly and ugh it's gross. 3) It doesn't teach you anything about contrasting colours since it just either makes everything overly saturated or overly de-saturated depending on the settings.

DONT BE AFRAID OF CONTRAST!! Push your shadows! Don't just shade the very edges of thing, it's the first beginners mistake I ever spot. Consider the 3d form of the object - how does it wrap around the character? What are the contours? Shade those in. Follow correct shadow placement.

First and foremost! Use brushes for shading. Remember you can lower the opacity of the brush - choose a brush, choose a slightly darker colour than the base, and lower the opacity to block areas in. Choose the base colour again, and blend that sucker in. Rinse, repeat, with colours that get progressively darker, and don't be afraid to shade more than just the edges, that won't teach you proper shading! As long as you build up the shadows slowly it'll look more natural. Use the soft round brushes, or experiment with others.

This is my favourite brush pack which is one or two brush packs from DA artists slapped together for convenience, there's lots of nice soft texture brushes there for more detail and a more natural look.

Lavish Spirit

alfred baramender
Wow, someone who actually explained something to me. Im definately going to try all the mentioned above out!
Thank youuuuuuuuu! whee
Wolfertons

It was just one of the drawings, why does nobody understand?
This sloppy thing was made in fast pace (and i did sketch) so i could practise coloring. But since people in picture post DONT seem to read at all, so just whatever.
No one even gives me tips, lol. You guys just say 'your homeless girl is sloppy! blaah. aodgruioagruio' Then give me tips and some drawn examples. I know I did say critisize, but im pretty sure i also said 'give me tips'

No, no, no. That is not how criticism works.

WE tell you what is wrong with your work, YOU shut your mouth, go back, and try again, and be grateful that we're being honest with you instead of patting you on the back and telling you you're awesome when you clearly have no skills. You asked for criticism and you got it; if you don't take the advice you asked for, you're a moron.

Red-penning does not teach you anything. Mindless praise does not teach you anything.

We have told you what's wrong with your work, and all you want to do is make excuses? That's fine, you have every right to do that. Enjoy drawing transexual hobos for the rest of your life.

Your coloring is awful. Your palette is dull, your fills are sloppy, there's no contrast, no shading, and those random-a** hash marks were never a good idea. You have no business practicing coloring until you either learn to draw, or learn to go to deviantart and find someone's line-art that they have posted for coloring.

You posted this because you practiced coloring? Good, great.You need more practice..

And you need to stop lying about using tutorials. That doesn't absolve you of doing a horrible job.

Wheezing Fatcat

8,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
Didn't get ego stroked so closes and runs?
It's not a bad piece overall, but does look feminine.
There are some really good pieces of advice and critique in this thread. I don't know why you're upset?
Free advice, don't complain.
I can't really add much to what the others have said, but keep on practicing. I'm not expert on coloring, but look at some light and shadow tutorials. If looks like you got a handle on the basics, just keep practicing. c:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff