Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devout Assailant

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
This took longer than I'd like to admit. crying
I just want you opinion as to if I proportioned the sides of the face correctly? maybe some comments on the hair?
Don't be too mean please. emotion_facepalm
it's super cute but the lack of a nose throws everything a little off

Devout Assailant

Dusty3737
Edit: The hair needs fixing hold on. x.x

Devout Assailant

Dusty3737

Friendly Friend

Looks cute! mrgreen The eyes are proportioned well, and the hair looks fine. Good job.

Disclaimer: I'm not a very good artist, I just pretend I am.

Tipsy Genius

8,425 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tipsy 100
Chin's a bit off

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
its cute, but doesn't say much for your skills since its just a head. try pushing yourself and do a bunch of quick sketches, you got to work off the outer rougher layers to get to gold within! (deeprightiknowlol) also by doing quick sketches you get more comfortable when you slow down!
this is great to start with, but id definitely like to see more from you ^^
Why cover up your piece with those awful lines!

gonk

I'd recommend getting sketch paper and newsprint, kneaded erasers, vine charcoal and a range of sketching pencils, you need the proper weapons before you attempt to go into battle!

I'd also recommend studying, practicing and understanding how to draw the realistic human body before you attempt to manipulate into a style like anime.

If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to help with more information.

3nodding

Devout Assailant

Static Sludge
its cute, but doesn't say much for your skills since its just a head. try pushing yourself and do a bunch of quick sketches, you got to work off the outer rougher layers to get to gold within! (deeprightiknowlol) also by doing quick sketches you get more comfortable when you slow down!

^^ thank you so much for your advice. It means a lot that you have faith in my work. emotion_bigheart I'll be doing a lot more practicing today since it's my day off.

Devout Assailant

under the coke sign
Why cover up your piece with those awful lines!

gonk

I'd recommend getting sketch paper and newsprint, kneaded erasers, vine charcoal and a range of sketching pencils, you need the proper weapons before you attempt to go into battle!

I'd also recommend studying, practicing and understanding how to draw the realistic human body before you attempt to manipulate into a style like anime.

If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to help with more information.

3nodding

Oh goodness... that sounds like professional stuff and expensive. D; I want to practice a bit more before buying those. (How much would that all cost? I have lineless paper somewhere..)
Thank you for the recommendation ^^ Should I take up reads for the studying, or is there another way I could go about this? x:

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
LatteForACoffeeDate
Static Sludge

^^ thank you so much for your advice. It means a lot that you have faith in my work. emotion_bigheart I'll be doing a lot more practicing today since it's my day off.

you are quite welcome, I hope you have fun!

oh yes, and in response to you asking how much those supplies cost: it really depends on what and where you buy.

kneaded erases can be as low as 1$-3$, and all the other things they mentioned can usually be bought in starter packs for like 20 bucks (which have the sketchy pencils, charcoal etc) they may not be the highest quality tools
but its best not to spend a ton of money before you're on a higher level (better tools don't make the artist better) I'd at least recommend you buy some plain sheet paper! (I started with printer paper my self lol) good luck!
LatteForACoffeeDate

Oh goodness... that sounds like professional stuff and expensive. D; I want to practice a bit more before buying those. (How much would that all cost? I have lineless paper somewhere..)
Thank you for the recommendation ^^ Should I take up reads for the studying, or is there another way I could go about this? x:

Actually what you need to start is probably the cheapest materials related to drawing and at the very least you'll need the 11x14, kneaded erasers and the pencils.

If I order online it's from Jerrys (which usually is the best way) to get good materials cheap, though unless you pay for express or overnight, it tends to take 6-7 business days depending on where you are on our little planet.

>.>

If you wanted to draw today or soon, your next best bet for bargin is a A.C Moore or I hate to say it Michaels.

emotion_puke

"BUT WHAT THE HELL DO I BUY, THERE's SO MUCH ?!#!"

Right now, you need to practice more than sell your work, so lower grade materials or student grade (not to be confused with craft or hobby) as they are commonly called are what you need to get.

You'll need:

Drawing materials:

1 Set of drawing/sketching pencils - A lot of places will just sell you a whole set which is cheaper and easier. Reeves is shunned by a lot of artist because most of it is crap but our purposes it's usually the cheapest set around 6 bucks for ten, usually they come with a sharpener, if not get one.

Something like this will work fine: Make sure to get a large variety of different softness and hardness, 2h-6h HB-8B would be best.

4-6 kneaded erasers - These, I'd recommend getting more but if you're on a budget that should just fine It's important to get kneaded because when they get all dirty/black, the cool thing is that you can play around with it making them cleaner without have to waste the eraser by rubbing it away. Usually its between 50 cents and 1.25 per eraser. Any brand as long as it's kneaded.

1 Hard eraser - This will only be used for easing fine details, the kneaded will be our workhorse. Usually a buck 1.25

2 x Vine Charcoal - Usually around 6-7 bucks for 6 sticks. Winsor and Newton is the top of the line so that's out(usually around 14 bucks) but any grade will do at this stage. Make sure to try to get one package of soft and medium if you can afford it.

This stuff is messy so be prepared to get covered in this stuff , especially your hands or in my case, my face, body what have you.

Oh, the most important thing, if you work indoors make sure it is ventilated properly especially when working with any dust medium(pastels, chalk, charcoal).

All windows open

Two fans blowing the charcoal dust away from you.

DO NOT, as tempting as it may be BLOW the dust off if there is any, instead tip your piece and lightly tap your piece letting the dust settle off the paper, then wiping the dust away with a wet paper towel or baby wipe. When you blow it gets rid of it easily but you'll inhale, so all that crap that's been blown into the air will get into your lungs, never good.

Remember, there's always time for safety.

Paper -

3 Pads Sketching paper - As long as it says sketching paper, get it, we aren't going to be selling any of these drawings so the weight(lbs) of the paper or quality does not matter in this instance. One with a metal binder is would be great or a sketching book as long as the edges are permeated.

Try to get

9x12
11x14
12x18

Depending on what you buy, this will run you from 12-30 bucks.

If you can get only one I'd get 11x14.

1 pad of newsprint - Get the biggest size they have 18x24 would do it, this stuff is cheap but it doesn't look great so most people pass on it. This is perfect for practicing gesture in figure drawing, larger practicing and practicing arm movement when drawing. This shouldn't be more than 9 bucks.

Misc:

Board - Some stores like A.C Moore will sell you drawing boards, these are great and professional looking, they usually have handles, clips and are large to be able to fit most paper. If you're a cheap mug like me, a piece of pile wood or rough pine will do. Most places like Lowes or home Depot will cut you a piece to the size you want.

Easel - Working flat will hinder you, investing in a cheap table top easel(not a french standing easel unless you really want to) will allow you look at your work from a distance so much more easily. If you can't afford one try to keep your work tilted, working completely flat all the time can be a nasty habit.

Masking tape - Any kind will do, it's just to hold your work down to the board because you're going to need to turn your work upside, a lot(yes you'll need to learn to flip between the two but it is very useful) and so it doesn't warp when you're drawing.

Baby wipes - This is for cleaning up, I get the cheapest stuff like CVS or any drugstore and it works great. It will pretty much take away it from any surface but careful on certain cloth materials, it can discolor, always test.

Whew. So basically your initial setup of all this will run between 30-60 bucks. Again, it all depends on where and what you buy. It probably will be lower if you order online, higher if you buy it in person. What I do is use my mobile web browser for AC Moore website and I think Michael's does the same thing to get coupons usually they have 50 percent off one item then go in and out of the store making up some excuse, cheesy and horrible yes, but so is AC Moore, so maybe closer to 25-40, it all depends.

I'd recommend getting these materials, try to draw something in real life with the pencils and 11x14, a still life like something tall(bottle or tall glass), something round(like a ball) and something rectangular. Post it when you think you're done, I'll do my best to help you start working on it. Some people feel that you need to read a book before you lay down a pencil, art at any level is about falling flat on your face then correcting the problem with research (both your own and outside criticism), applying previous knowledge and perseverance.

Good luck and I hope to see your drawings soon!

I hope I was helpful.

3nodding
It's cute and a nice start. You'll improve as you go along and draw more heart

Devout Assailant

I was too lazy for my glasses... x.x

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff