Welcome to Gaia! ::

Conservative Explorer

scelestic
I Am A Photographer
scelestic
It looks like you have a white balance issue. There is no white in the photo at all. It is too cyan. Did you replace the white with cyan? Its is very odd. You should look at a book or something on color correction. Other than the bad color issues the focus and composition looks good. Keep practicing (especially with editing).

Not supposed to be any white. xD Took this for my sister's living room. Me and her are redesigning it. This particular piece will be glowing. The cyan spots on the flower will be highlighted in glow paint that is the same colour, as well as the outer light cyan. The middle of the flower will also be highlighted in glow paint. And a few other more detailed areas. It also may be rendered in visual 3D to make it pop even more. Thanks for the critique though. ^^

It is more manipulation than photography then. You should have been more clear about your intentions with the work.

Not at all. I came up with that idea after I took the photo. I was originally going for an underwater, modern feel with the flower. Still am, but the excess editing I will be doing is for my client (sister) only.

Wheezing Gekko

5,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I Am A Photographer
scelestic

It is more manipulation than photography then. You should have been more clear about your intentions with the work.

Not at all. I came up with that idea after I took the photo. I was originally going for an underwater, modern feel with the flower. Still am, but the excess editing I will be doing is for my client (sister) only.

It is, actually. I agree with Scelestic. Also, if the excess editing is for your sister only, why did you post that version here? Can we see the original?

Conservative Explorer

Zagachan
I Am A Photographer
scelestic

It is, actually. I agree with Scelestic. Also, if the excess editing is for your sister only, why did you post that version here? Can we see the original?

Nope. By excess editing I mean with the glow paint. The final product. This photo was just something for my gallery, and for my sister's new living room layout. This photo only took basic edits. Boosted saturation, and tad bit of unsharp mask, and a colour balance layer.

Wheezing Gekko

5,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I Am A Photographer
Zagachan

Nope. By excess editing I mean with the glow paint. The final product. This photo was just something for my gallery, and for my sister's new living room layout. This photo only took basic edits. Boosted saturation, and tad bit of unsharp mask, and a colour balance layer.

In that case, you have to accept the critique you get. I also think it looks way too saturated, and it would look better with less purple. A bit of white would also make it look more refreshing.
A more interesting angle would serve its purpose as well.

Conservative Explorer

Zagachan
I Am A Photographer
Zagachan

In that case, you have to accept the critique you get. I also think it looks way too saturated, and it would look better with less purple. A bit of white would also make it look more refreshing.
A more interesting angle would serve its purpose as well.

I do accept critique. At least his critique part. He thought there was supposed to be white, which is not what I wanted. Of course I could have added it if I wished, but it is not the look I wanted. At least not in this particular occasion, for this particular photo. The reason I chose this angle, is because the texture on the stem, and the way it is coming from the side. Really fit the purpose well. And I rather not be cliche. There is too many flower photos by photographers that haven't a clue what they are doing. Adding white to this image would not be unique in any way, and would most definitely not fit my style.

Wheezing Gekko

5,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I Am A Photographer

I do accept critique. At least his critique part. He thought there was supposed to be white, which is not what I wanted. Of course I could have added it if I wished, but it is not the look I wanted. At least not in this particular occasion, for this particular photo. The reason I chose this angle, is because the texture on the stem, and the way it is coming from the side. Really fit the purpose well. And I rather not be cliche. There is too many flower photos by photographers that haven't a clue what they are doing. Adding white to this image would not be unique in any way, and would most definitely not fit my style.

Why are you defending yourself against my opinions? You asked what we thought about it. If you disagree, then you're free to do so without saying. A hairdresser doesn't deny a customer the colour they want because they simply don't like it themselves.

I think the angle is cliche. I would rather see something new and a bit more original than the "picture from the side, flower placed a bit to the side"-approach. If you really want to keep the cyan, then I would at least make the green less saturated, for it not to become a very bright, hard on the eyes picture. The balance would make it better to look at, and it would give more attention to the fuchsia and the cyan.

Also, "it's my style" is no excuse for anything.

Conservative Explorer

Zagachan
I Am A Photographer

Why are you defending yourself against my opinions? You asked what we thought about it. If you disagree, then you're free to do so without saying. A hairdresser doesn't deny a customer the colour they want because they simply don't like it themselves.

I think the angle is cliche. I would rather see something new and a bit more original than the "picture from the side, flower placed a bit to the side"-approach. If you really want to keep the cyan, then I would at least make the green less saturated, for it not to become a very bright, hard on the eyes picture. The balance would make it better to look at, and it would give more attention to the fuchsia and the cyan.

Also, "it's my style" is no excuse for anything.

I'm not. merely explaining my tastes, as well as my client's. Exactly the look my sister wanted. (Since you're trying to make a similarity from it)

If someone came to me wanting to take a photo in which was not my style, I would simply deny them business.

Critique is what you have said about thinking the angle is cliche, and the the image is over saturated. And I respect that and thank you for the critique.

"It's my style, and is no excuse" is not relevant to this matter since the only faults are opinionated factors.

Wheezing Gekko

5,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I Am A Photographer
I'm not. merely explaining my tastes, as well as my client's. Exactly the look my sister wanted. (Since you're trying to make a similarity from it)

If someone came to me wanting to take a photo in which was not my style, I would simply deny them business.

Critique is what you have said about thinking the angle is cliche, and the the image is over saturated. And I respect that and thank you for the critique.

"It's my style, and is no excuse" is not relevant to this matter since the only faults are opinionated factors.

That's not a very good way to run a business. No matter what, you must try to fulfill your customer's demands, even if it deviates from "your style". If you don't do this, you don't run a business. They come there for your personal touch, and if that means saturated pictures, then so be it. To continue using the example I already used, a hairdresser can't cut only hair they like.

Using your style as an excuse is always related. People use style as excuse for having anime-type drawings with horrible anatomy. Drawing anime-style doesn't excuse the fact that the anatomy is horrible, and it doesn't make the image any better. Same with pictures.

Conservative Explorer

Zagachan
I Am A Photographer

That's not a very good way to run a business. No matter what, you must try to fulfill your customer's demands, even if it deviates from "your style". If you don't do this, you don't run a business. They come there for your personal touch, and if that means saturated pictures, then so be it. To continue using the example I already used, a hairdresser can't cut only hair they like.

Using your style as an excuse is always related. People use style as excuse for having anime-type drawings with horrible anatomy. Drawing anime-style doesn't excuse the fact that the anatomy is horrible, and it doesn't make the image any better. Same with pictures.

To be honest I feel you are trying to troll me. Do you even know my "styles?" And do you even know what kind of business I will be running? I did not think so. Check the Top Photography Posts here on Gaia, in the Photography Arenas. I have 17 of my photos in the top 20, and TONS of favorites on dA, and lots of fans here on Gaia and elsewhere. Have you seen any of my other photos? If you had, you would notice that I do not do very much saturated images, and I NEVER really do flowers, but when I do, I love them saturated. Check out Peter Lik's work. I am guessing you will hate his too since many of them are WAY over saturated.

I will have my work on my walls, so they know what to expect if I do portraits. You have perceived several statements in which you do not even understand. I accept critique, yes, but I do not do photos that I do not like, simple. If that means I get less business, I do not care. I have standards.

Are we talking about having horrible anatomy, or even mistakes in my photography? No. We are talking about saturation and angles, and opinions. If I like my work, as well as the client, and my fans, I do not care what my haters think.

What you have told me about saturation and the angle is an opinion. Some may love it, some may hate it. I do not care if someone dislikes it, because no matter your talent and how good you are, there will still be people that dislike your work.

Wheezing Gekko

5,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I Am A Photographer
To be honest I feel you are trying to troll me.

I am not.

Quote:
Do you even know my "styles?" And do you even know what kind of business I will be running? I did not think so. Check the Top Photography Posts here on Gaia, in the Photography Arenas. I have 17 of my photos in the top 20, and TONS of favorites on dA, and lots of fans here on Gaia and elsewhere.

Having favorites doesn't mean you're a good photographer or artist.
Quote:

Have you seen any of my other photos? If you had, you would notice that I do not do very much saturated images, and I NEVER really do flowers, but when I do, I love them saturated. Check out Peter Lik's work. I am guessing you will hate his too since many of them are WAY over saturated.

I looked through your gallery, and it consisted of over-edited cliche pictures.
I also checked out Peter Lik's work, and you're nothing like him. There's a certain quality and a feel to his pictures, and that atmosphere really shows the difference between professional and amateur. His colours are also very different, and the colours really suit being saturated. And he has a picture of a purple flower as well, but notice the way it's shot and the way the colours match. There aren't big blotches of colour anywhere. (Also, yellow is much better and softer with fuchsia)

Quote:
I will have my work on my walls, so they know what to expect if I do portraits. You have perceived several statements in which you do not even understand. I accept critique, yes, but I do not do photos that I do not like, simple. If that means I get less business, I do not care. I have standards.

Then you have to accept no customers as well. Just because the customer's idea is different than yours, doesn't mean it must be of lower standard. If you can't bring the idea up to your standard, then you are not worthy of the task either way.

Quote:
Are we talking about having horrible anatomy, or even mistakes in my photography? No. We are talking about saturation and angles, and opinions. If I like my work, as well as the client, and my fans, I do not care what my haters think.

Don't purposely look past my point.

Quote:
What you have told me about saturation and the angle is an opinion. Some may love it, some may hate it. I do not care if someone dislikes it, because no matter your talent and how good you are, there will still be people that dislike your work.

I'm not a hater of your pictures, but of your attitude. Don't get defensive when I voice my opinion, it defeats the purpose of coming here posting your picture. If you don't like people critiquing, then don't post it at all, or say you don't wish for critique.

Conservative Explorer

Zagachan
I Am A Photographer
To be honest I feel you are trying to troll me.

Quote:
I am not.

Quote:
Do you even know my "styles?" And do you even know what kind of business I will be running? I did not think so. Check the Top Photography Posts here on Gaia, in the Photography Arenas. I have 17 of my photos in the top 20, and TONS of favorites on dA, and lots of fans here on Gaia and elsewhere.

Having favorites doesn't mean you're a good photographer or artist.
Quote:

Have you seen any of my other photos? If you had, you would notice that I do not do very much saturated images, and I NEVER really do flowers, but when I do, I love them saturated. Check out Peter Lik's work. I am guessing you will hate his too since many of them are WAY over saturated.

I looked through your gallery, and it consisted of over-edited cliche pictures.
I also checked out Peter Lik's work, and you're nothing like him. There's a certain quality and a feel to his pictures, and that atmosphere really shows the difference between professional and amateur. His colours are also very different, and the colours really suit being saturated. And he has a picture of a purple flower as well, but notice the way it's shot and the way the colours match. There aren't big blotches of colour anywhere. (Also, yellow is much better and softer with fuchsia)

Quote:

Then you have to accept no customers as well. Just because the customer's idea is different than yours, doesn't mean it must be of lower standard. If you can't bring the idea up to your standard, then you are not worthy of the task either way.

Quote:

Don't purposely look past my point.

Quote:

I'm not a hater of your pictures, but of your attitude. Don't get defensive when I voice my opinion, it defeats the purpose of coming here posting your picture. If you don't like people critiquing, then don't post it at all, or say you don't wish for critique.

No, you really are.

I know I am not better than Peter Lik. Thanks for calling me a bad photographer, I guess likes and fans do not matter, and I am not a good photographer. And nope, no one will ever hire me for my tastes. And I absolutely HATE critique. Thanks for your opinions.

Wheezing Gekko

5,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I Am A Photographer
I know I am not better than Peter Lik. Thanks for calling me a bad photographer, I guess likes and fans do not matter, and I am not a good photographer. And nope, no one will ever hire me for my tastes. And I absolutely HATE critique. Thanks for your opinions.

You deserve 25 gold for that. smile

Conservative Explorer

Zagachan
I Am A Photographer

You deserve 25 gold for that. smile

xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas