Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Wench

2,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
Okay, I'm in a beginners drawing class at school and our assignment was to pick an object and abstract it or magnify it. So I choose a pomegranate to magnify. I usually get B's on my drawing which I am happy with, but would like to learn from my previous mistakes. o_o I'm really nervous about posting this here I know it's not great, but I could use some help.
My teacher said it was looking nice, but I usually have a hard time adding different values. If I'm doing a still life most of my objects will have the same value. I just would like to get some opinions if I should darken the seeds more? because the fleshy part of the pomegranate I have drawn in so far in the same value as the seed. sweatdrop
Just wanted some opinions from people other than my friends. Most of the people in my class are my friends and they'll say they like the values, but sometimes I feel like they are trying not to hurt my feelings. Anyhow any help would be great it's due next monday. Not sure if I should post this in the WIP or here... hmm.

Here's my drawing, it's drawn with charcoal by the way.

Pomegranate Magnification

Edit:

Okay, here's the updated version. I went back in and added different values to different seeds. Attempted to make the ones on top lighter than the seeds on the bottom. Anywho, here's the new version. My camera washed it out a bit too.

Edited Version

Opinions or critiques would be very helpful.

Dapper Punching Bag

3,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
its a beginners class. dont be afraid to just experiment a little... heart

ps love the outfit you are such a kitty heart

Timid Wench

2,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
faceater
its a beginners class. dont be afraid to just experiment a little... heart

ps love the outfit you are such a kitty heart

Thanks, I kind of want to make it darker, because the seeds in those things are ruby red. It's hard for me when I have to convert things to black and white values.

And meow.

Dapper Gekko

It's looking pretty good so far, but I agree with you that the seeds need to be darker. I don't know if you're working from life or a photo, but in either case if you're having difficulty converting from color to b/w try finding a good photo on google images and desaturating it to give you an idea of where to go.

Timid Wench

2,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
Escherichia coli
It's looking pretty good so far, but I agree with you that the seeds need to be darker. I don't know if you're working from life or a photo, but in either case if you're having difficulty converting from color to b/w try finding a good photo on google images and desaturating it to give you an idea of where to go.
Okay, I actually am working from the cut open pomegranate and a photo for composition reference. lols The pomegranate itself is getting old. xD I will darken the seeds and upload an updated photo of it in awhile. Thanks for the help. It's hard to blend them darker because the willow charcoal turns out light when I blend and the compressed charcoal is harder to blend because it's stiff.

Timid Wench

2,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
Bump. o.o I need opinions on the updated version please and thank you.

Ladykiller

Friendly Friend

I would say generically make it a tad darker, it still a bit to light.

Noob

Nicely done! I could never use charcoal. It's something I've never been able to use. Great job. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff