Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Hunter

30,075 Points
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Hiei the Epic

Thanks a ton for the redline, I will write me some notes so I can keep that in mind for my next drawings : D
Yeah, I dont think I have ever gotten comments like a couple of these in here before, kinda ridiculous..

Rainbow Hunter

30,075 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Valkyrie Queen
While there's nothing wrong with using yourself as a reference, it can be very hard to do when you're just starting out. I would suggest that you get some nice anatomy books and work on understanding that first, since knowing what a form is can help prevent you from making a lot of newbie mistakes. While you do this, I would also suggest that you either take a figure drawing class (if you have the time/money) or at least try to go out into public places and draw the people you see.

When your use yourself as a model again next time, I'd suggest that you pin your hair up in something simple (like a bun) and wear something that reveals more of your body (like a bikini) or nothing at all provided you have privacy. The goal of this is to allow you to see the forms without obstructing them; for example, how do you expect to draw accurate legs when you've hidden them with baggy pants?

As others have pointed out, work with shapes rather than lines, and remember to draw what you see (based on what you know), not what you *want* to see.

Well, I've been drawing for years, was about five years before someone talked to me about drawing from life, I did do some, but now I seem to be.. really determined to do a lot more of it. I did that one last night, everyone else was asleep so I was all I could have used last night ^^'
I will probably be able to take some art classes next year when I go to college, I still have to look and see what our community college has.

I dont have a bikini- but I can do that much in the bathroom (and honestly, I have before)
My hair Is hard to pin back real well because its short, but I usually try and keep it away from my head/ears. (The only problem with that mirror is it only gets to the top of the thighs, but we have another mirror in the basement, I can wear shorts and that works fairly well)

I am trying that- drawing what you see- but I'd say its still something I need to work on ^^'

Thanks for the advice : D
Marshal poi jinx
very ugly, short shins, long arms, man hands, chicken legs, flat feet, uneven boobs, skeleton fingers, barrel neck, chin jawed, rib-less, black hole of a crotch-ed girl.
Way to be completely useless.

OP:

User Image

Head over standing leg. Or in the case of evenly distributed weight on both feet, head is directly over the center. Draw a vertical line from the top of her head down to the ground and you'll see.

Edit: Also, build it up from basic 3d shapes.

User Image

Rainbow Hunter

30,075 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Errol McGillivray

To be fair, that comment was more useful than the second one..

I see, yeah, that makes sense, and I will have to try working with those 3D shapes.
Thanks for the help : D
Hiei the Epic
User Imageyou honestly weren't that off.

people need to learn to shove it and keep their rude comments to themselves.
She's actually amazingly off. As is the redline. It's great that people are willing to help, but it's really better to use examples from life or from educational sources instead of redlining. Most of us have less idea of what we're talking about than we think we do. It also helps us learn the s**t so we can be helpful later on.

OP: Things like anatomy come in time with study. My advice is to work on the more basic things first, so you're capable of using whatever you learn about anatomy. If you don't, it's never going to look right.

As for the dumbasses making rude (and pointless) comments, don't worry about them, BUT read what they're saying and think about the complaints. Just because they're rude doesn't mean they're invalid. There's a reason why people say what they say, even if what they're saying is stupid as hell. (If they don't give you specifics, then it's up to you to explore what you did and find out. There are people around that can help you with it, of course.)
Vanna1994
Errol McGillivray

I see, yeah, that makes sense, and I will have to try working with those 3D shapes.
The comment had some use. Not the person who posted it. Haha.

Rainbow Hunter

30,075 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Errol McGillivray
Vanna1994
Errol McGillivray

The comment had some use. Not the person who posted it. Haha.

I guess so xd

Invisible Hunter

5,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
the redline isn't off. derp.
that'd be kinda impossible considering i had someone do the post and pulled it right off a pic i took of them.

Witty Humorist

Errol McGillivray
Marshal poi jinx
very ugly, short shins, long arms, man hands, chicken legs, flat feet, uneven boobs, skeleton fingers, barrel neck, chin jawed, rib-less, black hole of a crotch-ed girl.
Way to be completely useless.

OP:

User Image

Head over standing leg. Or in the case of evenly distributed weight on both feet, head is directly over the center. Draw a vertical line from the top of her head down to the ground and you'll see.

Edit: Also, build it up from basic 3d shapes.

User Image

I stated everything that was wrong with the anatomy. If that is too complex cry about it to your dub-step tracks.

There is nothing really helpful to be said that isn't broken down to learn your anatomy. How the character is standing isn't even important now since he cant create a proper model to begin with. The entire foundation of this character is built like a loose erector set randomly screwed together.

Instead of just saying your anatomy is wrong. I stated what part, and I hope I'm not going too fast for you but, in what way they are incorrect. Man hands or in this case hand since the other one is the hand of a rotting zombie with boney fingers.

If they wanted real help on improving in the first place. THIS website is not the answer. You're asking other teenagers how to draw better.

But hey thanks for trying to single me out so you can stroke your ego as muck as your d**k.

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Marshal poi jinx

You honestly thought your "critique" was remotely helpful? How does calling her drawing "very ugly" help her at all? Sure, you pointed out the flaws but you didn't tell her how to fix them (What in the world does chin-jawed actually mean?). I'm sure you're thinking that you're just giving her a harsh critique, but all you gave her was one measly, rude sentence spewing quips you thought were clever without giving her any resources or further explanation. Usually, I'm fine with the harsh comments others make here if it helps the artist improve but I don't think that was your aim. What you said doesn't even constitute a critique.

Rainbow Hunter

30,075 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Threadmaster 200
@ Marshal
You know Im a she, not a he right?

But everything is important, from the anatomy to the stance, if I get the anatomy right but the stance off then its still not going to look good at all.
Im still practicing getting the anatomy right.
And I got that you were saying what areas were wrong, but I agree a little explanation would have been nice, I dont know what you ment by chin-jawed, or black whole of a crotch..

@ Atomic
I agree with what you said.
Personally.. I guess I dont see critique as being 'harsh' or 'nice' or anything, critique helps me see more of my flaws and helps me improve (though there is the difference between being harsh/critiquing and being rude I will say that sweatdrop )

Witty Humorist

Atomic Octopus
Marshal poi jinx

You honestly thought your "critique" was remotely helpful? How does calling her drawing "very ugly" help her at all? Sure, you pointed out the flaws but you didn't tell her how to fix them (What in the world does chin-jawed actually mean?). I'm sure you're thinking that you're just giving her a harsh critique, but all you gave her was one measly, rude sentence spewing quips you thought were clever without giving her any resources or further explanation. Usually, I'm fine with the harsh comments others make here if it helps the artist improve but I don't think that was your aim. What you said doesn't even constitute a critique.

your another person who thinks i'm just being a general a**.

At some point you've probably drawn something then looked at it and thought: Well that is not right it needs to be more like this. Its a skill that every artists needs to improve upon there own work. Relying on the opinions of friends is the worst idea since they will always say how great it is even when its crap.

I say chin-jawed. Not a standard term and hardly used as slang. But OBVIOUSLY it means there is something wrong with this pictures chin and/or jaw. If I explain the proper way to fix it then they will just put that same exact chin and/or jaw on every thing they draw until they see something different. So instead what you should be doing is studying. Looking up a lot of pictures of chins, jawlines, and features. Another thing that every artists needs is a library of images in your head to draw from. Not some quick fix picture from a teenagers blog about how to draw anime super kawaii no bueno.

I specifically chose the way i said what i said. The point was simple. I gave them a list of flaws. It is the artists job to look at there own work and decide if any of these points hold true. There job to figure out to improve it. Red-lines, pictures explaining old art techniques, and opinions from random strangers on weather something should be more to the left or right isn't nearly as effective as simply pointing out whats wrong and having the artist research how to fix it themselves. They will improve at a much stronger rate. They'll be able to rely more on there selves.

Saying she was ugly was because she was ugly. If the character was suppose to be then that's fine if not then a simple look into how to draw beautiful women, or just looking up beautiful women will show you how the hard lines on the face are a no no.

also sorry for calling you a he I was just generalizing. The good news is that your drawing shows you have room for improvement, but all the problems with the pic are thing that can easily be improved upon. So you don't have very far at all before your drawing at a much higher level. Just do the research, collect a bunch of pictures, memorize a bunch more, and don't rely so much on other people to correct your work. You're trying to make pictures that look good the way you want them, not the way some one else wants them. That is part of developing your own style which will set you apart from other artists.

black-hole-crocth: when all the fabric is drawing with lines leading drastically toward the crotch, as if a black hole has formed and in sucking it all in.

Chin-Jawed: The face is flat, the chin is jutting out so far it makes up the majority of the jaw line.

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Marshal poi jinx

Look, I get your point. Every artist needs to recognize when something doesn't look right. But they may not be experienced enough to know exactly what it is that they need to fix. Peer critique is important when it comes to art. I agree that it is the artist's job to study and try to fix things on their own but others can provide encouragement, insight, and a push in the right direction by pointing out how to fix things. I don't think redlines are an effective learning tool either. But she said she was doing life drawing on her own, in the op, so she's obviously trying to study on her own. Giving her helpful tips and specifics might be more helpful. You could have explained that the hard lines around the lips and creases near the nose are making her look older.

At least you elaborated on exactly what you meant and now you seem to be giving a slightly more helpful critique. If you had done that in your first post, people wouldn't have jumped on you for being rude. Anyway, I don't want to clog up Vanna's thread so you can pm me or we can just agree to disagree.

Rainbow Hunter

30,075 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Threadmaster 200
Marshal poi jinx

part of the face was because I realized I made the nose to low, and the rest of the face was squished in.
That and I used my face as a reference, everyone does have those lines that push the cheeks away from the lips when they smile. Course I will say mine are probably really flat, and should have been shaded better.

But why would you need to 'generalize' when you know Im a she?
Yeah, I know I have a ton of room to improve, and it will take a lot of practice to get better.

Atomic Octopus

its fine, Im reading through both of your posts and looking at both of your points
Marshal poi jinx
But hey thanks for trying to single me out so you can stroke your ego as muck as your d**k.
So, someone points out where you're being lazy/useless and you throw a tantrum? Grow up.

In any case, anatomy is not a foundation skill. Anyone can pick up a book for that. It's kind of pointless to run down a list of anatomy flaws, or even tell someone to learn anatomy when there are much more fundamental things that stop people from drawing anatomy correctly even if they have every bone and muscle in the body memorized from a to z.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff