Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Fatcat

I know it's a bit uneven, I didn't have my usual art tools and the eraser I had on hand was a giant crap thing but yea, opinions would be fab smile

User Image
It's nice, and it's good that you're picking up your flaws on your own. Being self aware of your work is a good thing, but I'd like to add:
if you're going for a realistic look, don't outline the lips like that. That doesn't really happen in reality and looks really awkward in drawings.
Next, she has a reeally wide forehead and small, narrow chin/jaw area. They're just a bit disproportional to one another. If the forehead is super wide, just give a bit more jaw, or if the jaw is narrow, dial back the width of the rest of the head.
Don't be afraid to push your values really deep. Even with a single grade pencil you should be able to achieve some level of variety in your value. The chin/neck area in particular needs more attention with value.
Lastly, I heavily advise not to smudge when drawing. Render the image using your tools, not your fingers or even a stump. It just tends to look messy instead of finished and refined.

My parting note: use references lots and keep going c:

Nerd

Hi, good job!

What kind of pencil are you using?

Your image would be even better with higher contrast, so next time, try a softer pencil lead. After you've sketched out where everything should go quickly and faintly, start blocking in the darkest areas first- make them as close to black as you can and work out from there- adding each area of light and dark. This will help you make the image look more dramatic.

Good luck!

Sparkly Fatcat

SailorVera
It's nice, and it's good that you're picking up your flaws on your own. Being self aware of your work is a good thing, but I'd like to add:
if you're going for a realistic look, don't outline the lips like that. That doesn't really happen in reality and looks really awkward in drawings.
Next, she has a reeally wide forehead and small, narrow chin/jaw area. They're just a bit disproportional to one another. If the forehead is super wide, just give a bit more jaw, or if the jaw is narrow, dial back the width of the rest of the head.
Don't be afraid to push your values really deep. Even with a single grade pencil you should be able to achieve some level of variety in your value. The chin/neck area in particular needs more attention with value.
Lastly, I heavily advise not to smudge when drawing. Render the image using your tools, not your fingers or even a stump. It just tends to look messy instead of finished and refined.

Yeah I normally don't use my fingers to smudge and I have like a paper pencil thingy to do shading but I didn't have it with me otherwise the lines wouldn't have been so intense sad
I know with the lips it shouldnt be lined so much but again didn't have my tools with me and trust me it did do my head in hahah
the chin neck area was just a 5 minute add in, originally was going to just do the face but then it looked weird with the longer hair.
And the angle of the face was supposed to be tilted down a bit which would have made the forehead appear larger but it didn't really show up like that haha

Thank you for the feedback smile
CountessBlackRose
SailorVera

Yeah I normally don't use my fingers to smudge and I have like a paper pencil thingy to do shading but I didn't have it with me otherwise the lines wouldn't have been so intense sad
I know with the lips it shouldnt be lined so much but again didn't have my tools with me and trust me it did do my head in hahah
the chin neck area was just a 5 minute add in, originally was going to just do the face but then it looked weird with the longer hair.
And the angle of the face was supposed to be tilted down a bit which would have made the forehead appear larger but it didn't really show up like that haha

That "paper pencil thingy" is called a drawing stump (or stomp sometimes). I advise against using those entirely. Use your pencils to create a range of value.

Sparkly Fatcat

Sylvester Sly
Hi, good job!

What kind of pencil are you using?

Your image would be even better with higher contrast, so next time, try a softer pencil lead. After you've sketched out where everything should go quickly and faintly, start blocking in the darkest areas first- make them as close to black as you can and work out from there- adding each area of light and dark. This will help you make the image look more dramatic.

Good luck!

I only had a HB on hand, normally I use a 2-4B, I have a hard time making an order of how to do things like where to start and follow through so that I have enough room for everything or whatever which is where I think I have a lot of trouble.
I do have a range of pencils to use most of the time but I'm not currently where I live so I just made do with what I had haha

Thank you for your response though smile

Sparkly Fatcat

SailorVera
CountessBlackRose
SailorVera

That "paper pencil thingy" is called a drawing stump (or stomp sometimes). I advise against using those entirely. Use your pencils to create a range of value.

Oh ahahaha you can tell how knowledgeable I am :S
Okay I'll keep that in mind next time when I have my things smile Thank you

OG Fatcat

4,425 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Building the Army 50
  • Divorced 100
Wow thats really good! I think it would look even better if the neck was a little more defined. But overall, really good!

Nerd

CountessBlackRose

I only had a HB on hand, normally I use a 2-4B, I have a hard time making an order of how to do things like where to start and follow through so that I have enough room for everything or whatever which is where I think I have a lot of trouble.
I do have a range of pencils to use most of the time but I'm not currently where I live so I just made do with what I had haha

Thank you for your response though smile

Cool. I'd be interested to see what you can do with your favoured materials then. Maybe post something you're more comfortable with next time?

Yeah. It's a common problem- that's why i suggested sketching out everything very faintly first before adding the tones, so you know you have enough room for everything/where everything should go. Please at least try this technique, it will help you.

Wolf

I like how your working with contours, makes it more realistic and 3 dimensional.
Good work. I'ld like to see the rest of her
Lisa

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas