Welcome to Gaia! ::

How Do Anatomy?

You don't. 0.25 25.0% [ 1 ]
:p 0.75 75.0% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 4 ]
< 1 2

Friendly Phantom

The wooden pose doll is probably your problem- they don't have any weight (they usually just have a stick up their butt, literally), so they never end up looking realistic.

HarelquinPrince's Husband

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
silverstez
I think you made her look a bit too masculine. The body looks very manly and not very feminine. Try making her a bit curvier. I would also avoid a pose which is someone facing directly towards the viewer. This results in the work looking too perfect to be realistic. Regular poses aren't that stiff and perfectly facing forwards. When you add colour, you should also try to think about shadows, midtones and highlights. From what you have done, I can only see block colours which isn't as impressive. If you apply the watercolours lightly at first and get darker in places as you go this can help. Also look at your lighting and decide where the source of light for the picture is.

The positives about this piece, is that your line art is neat and everything is quite neat. The folds in the clothing are decent and you have clearly put a lot of effort into the hands. I think adding details like eye lashes might help it look more realistic.

Keep drawing. You will improve as you go. Keep up the good work smile

Also I will add something, you said you usually don't ask for critique because you already know what needs work. This isn't true for any artist. There are always times when we fail to see faults in our own work and need it pointed out to us. No two people look at the same image and see the same thing.

The character is actually gender neutral despite being biologically female, but I get what you mean by being too masculine. For my next piece I'll try to make the character more feminine. I guess I upped the contrast way too much though if no one sees the shadows. (It doesn't help that I laid the purple on their shirt a bit too thickly on the second layer.) I'll try to build it up more slowly then in the next piece.

Thanks for the tip about poses though! I think that's my problem with most of them. They look too "perfect" to be considered real. I'll try to give them different perspective and hopefully less static in the future. (Also thank you for the compliments on my lineart, I try really hard to make it clean and neat). I'll try to add more details to the eyes though next time.

On the critiquing, I do ask for help on my pieces from time to time, but usually from my friends. I think this is the first time I've asked for critique online and from strangers. So far, seems like a good idea. Thanks again for the critique.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
flashstick
Again, the pose is stiff and not very dynamic. What emotion is she supposed to convey? Is the lightening behind her, coming from her, or both?

(Knowing the synopsis of the piece will help me give you better advice)

They're supposed to enraged and the lightning is coming from both their hands and surrounding/behind them. The scene is from a part of my friend's NaNoWriMo novel, in which they find their friend, the subject from the first piece, stuck in giant tubes. I really love drawing my friend's OCs.

Any tips on making it less stiff/more dynamic besides perspective shift?

Friendly Phantom

Cynical Lad
flashstick
Again, the pose is stiff and not very dynamic. What emotion is she supposed to convey? Is the lightening behind her, coming from her, or both?

(Knowing the synopsis of the piece will help me give you better advice)

They're supposed to enraged and the lightning is coming from both their hands and surrounding/behind them. The scene is from a part of my friend's NaNoWriMo novel, in which they find their friend, the subject from the first piece, stuck in giant tubes. I really love drawing my friend's OCs.

Any tips on making it less stiff/more dynamic besides perspective shift?

If they're angry, they need to have aggressive stances, which means their legs will be more bent and their whole body will be closer to the ground.
Does the character have preferred pronouns for being gender neutral?

I'm uploading some reference now, I'll post it soon.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
flashstick

If they're angry, they need to have aggressive stances, which means their legs will be more bent and their whole body will be closer to the ground.
Does the character have preferred pronouns for being gender neutral?

I'm uploading some reference now, I'll post it soon.

Aaaah, that helps a lot actually thank you. The character in the first pic is named Jaz, and their pronouns are xe/xem/xyr. Kit, the one from the second pic, pronouns are they/them/theirs, and Dolores, who's the subject for my third piece pronouns are vae/vaer/vaerself.

And gosh, you don't have to give me refs specifically, but thank you so much. /)u(

Friendly Phantom

So Kit's the lightening one?

They definitely need to show a bend in both legs, I did a couple stances in my mirror and all of them had both legs clearly bent because they were so stiff and planted into the ground. You need to have a good stance to fight, or the other guy'll knock you over.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Also, if you want to make the whole composition more dynamic, you could make the camera angle lower to show the power they have. Ignore the legs in this one, I had to take it with my toe (which I think is why it's square? My toe likes weird settings.)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I like camera reference, can you tell? Haha.
I'm one of those people who has to look at something to draw it.
3D modeling, now that's a different story. I can model anything. But I don't think in 2D, so I need to see what it looks like if I'm going to draw it.

Friendly Phantom

WOAH those are huge. Sorry! How do I spoiler tag things? I haven't been on in forever and that's a new thing!

EDIT:
Nevermind, figured it out. Sorry about that.

Friendly Phantom

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I have me and my iPhone. Also, you're one of the first people on Gaia to see me! I normally don't post pictures of myself, but I wanted to do the thing quickly and I'm too lazy to blur them. Congrats smile

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
flashstick

Oh my God, thank you so much! OuO I feel so honored to be the first to see your face. Your pics actually helped a lot thank you! I did two sketches. Piece one and this is piece two. They're really dirty sketches, but I hope they get the point across.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
So I drew the second piece in the series right here and I was hoping if y'all can critique it. Please ignore all the splotches and mistakes in the lineart as those can easily be fixed with a thick layer of watercolor and white ink.

Do you think it's more dynamic/less stiff than my previous work? I think it looks stiff as hell but that's not gonna be fixed in a day, sigh. What about the foreshortening or lack thereof on the left leg?

Thanks anyone and everyone who helps.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces