Total Votes:[ 4 ]
1 2 >

HarelquinPrince's Husband

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Usually I'm not one to ask for critiques because I usually know what's wrong with my art and take all the steps to ensure to fix it. But currently my art is stagnating. Both stylistically and technicalities. I'm finding it harder and harder to correct what's usually wrong with my art. Most of the time it's technical skill and making my art more fluid.

Anyways, I was hoping for some critique on this piece specifically, and how to improve. I can never get foreshortening right, and no matter how many refs I look up I'm never getting it. Orz Also please ignore my notes that's just so I don't forget what to draw for the background.

Thanks to anyone who helps me!

EDIT: I ended up inking it and it came out marginally better.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The final version. I really don't like the flames. Orz Anyone got tips on how to make them better?
Is that watercolor you are using? I haven't used watercolor in years! Oh how I miss it. XD

Well, if it is water color, then I suggest working by layers. On the first layer, thin out the base color of the flames so that it looks kind of translucent. Let it dry and then paint it over again while building up the color.
I also like to get a paper towel or a dry sponge and dab at the watercolor while it's still wet. Of course, I did this while painting the night sky, so I'm not sure how this would work with flames. But it would help the watercolor dry a little faster.

With watercolor, patience is important. It looks like you kinda rushed it there. sweatdrop

And again, if it's not watercolor, then oops, lol. It looks like watercolor to me.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
xiatara
Is that watercolor you are using? I haven't used watercolor in years! Oh how I miss it. XD

Well, if it is water color, then I suggest working by layers. On the first layer, thin out the base color of the flames so that it looks kind of translucent. Let it dry and then paint it over again while building up the color.
I also like to get a paper towel or a dry sponge and dab at the watercolor while it's still wet. Of course, I did this while painting the night sky, so I'm not sure how this would work with flames. But it would help the watercolor dry a little faster.

With watercolor, patience is important. It looks like you kinda rushed it there. sweatdrop

And again, if it's not watercolor, then oops, lol. It looks like watercolor to me.

Yup it's watercolors. I actually do work by layers but I guess since I upped the contrast it doesn't look like I did. >.< (It looks more like this IRL.) As for the blotting, I didn't think about doing that to the flames so I'll def do that next time. Also, can you tell me in what way it looks rushed? Because I actually spent two whole days working on this. I'm p patient when it comes to watercolors but I guess it's not showing.

Thanks for the critique though. smile
It looks rushed because in some parts it's blocky and others it looks like squiggles. To me, flames are more delicate-looking while still having depth. whee

Did you spend two days watercoloring it? Or two days working on the picture (sketch, ink, watercolor)?

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
xiatara
It looks rushed because in some parts it's blocky and others it looks like squiggles. To me, flames are more delicate-looking while still having depth. whee

Did you spend two days watercoloring it? Or two days working on the picture (sketch, ink, watercolor)?

Ah, I see what you mean by being rushed now. I guess it looks like that since I didn't have good flame refs and I'm not really good at drawing/painting them. How would you suggest giving giving them depth while keeping it delicate?

I spent two days working on the whole thing. Painting itself took about 3-5 hours give or take though (not counting all the times I allowed it to dry off).
Cynical Lad
xiatara

Ah, I see what you mean by being rushed now. I guess it looks like that since I didn't have good flame refs and I'm not really good at drawing/painting them. How would you suggest giving giving them depth while keeping it delicate?

I spent two days working on the whole thing. Painting itself took about 3-5 hours give or take though (not counting all the times I allowed it to dry off).
Well, what kind of brushes do you use? I feel that thinner, more pointed brushes could help make the tips look delicate. And for more depth, I see that you put a darkish color on the top. you can bring some of that down where the flames are to give it dimension (maybe not as dark). Like in the crevice of the flames...err, it's kind hard to explain. D:

I understand not having refs for them. I need refs when I draw guns/armor/dragons/etc. I just don't draw them all too often so when the chance arises, I'm like, "hold up. I gotta search for 100 refs of that gun from all angles before I do this!"

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
xiatara
Well, what kind of brushes do you use? I feel that thinner, more pointed brushes could help make the tips look delicate. And for more depth, I see that you put a darkish color on the top. you can bring some of that down where the flames are to give it dimension (maybe not as dark). Like in the crevice of the flames...err, it's kind hard to explain. D:

I understand not having refs for them. I need refs when I draw guns/armor/dragons/etc. I just don't draw them all too often so when the chance arises, I'm like, "hold up. I gotta search for 100 refs of that gun from all angles before I do this!"

These are the brushes I'm using. I usually work really small, so the two larger brushes I'm not used to using. I used the rounded one for the flames which I guess would explain why they're not as thin up top. Should've sticked to my smaller one then. Also I totally get what u mean about the depth (sorta haha >.< ).

I'm the same way. I need either the ref to be exactly what I'm drawing (which is like never), or get enough refs to make a 3D model out of it. XD Currently looking for lightning refs to paint which is gonna be hella hard.

Friendly Phantom

Your pose looks very static, probably because of perspective. Try different angles, a three-quarter view is always more interesting than head on or straight profile. I suck at foreshortening too, which is why I always use reference. Take a picture of yourself or a friend in the pose you want and sketch over that to get a feel for what it should look like. Also try several different poses, and test out different compositions with a few that you like best.
Great start, I look forward to what you do in the future!

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
flashstick
Your pose looks very static, probably because of perspective. Try different angles, a three-quarter view is always more interesting than head on or straight profile. I suck at foreshortening too, which is why I always use reference. Take a picture of yourself or a friend in the pose you want and sketch over that to get a feel for what it should look like. Also try several different poses, and test out different compositions with a few that you like best.

Ah damn, I was really hoping it didn't look as static as I thought it did. I really suck at dynamic poses so I've been sketching them nonstop to try to get better. Guess I need more practice. sweatdrop I actually had trouble finding good references for the arms for this pose, but it could be that I wasn't looking in the right area. As for doing a 3/4ths perspective, I might just do that with my next piece. Most of my face drawings tend to be in 3/4ths, but never bodies, so it may do me some good. I had gone through two other poses before settling with this one, but I guess I can experiment with a few more. Thanks for the kind words and critique. UwU

Friendly Phantom

Cynical Lad
flashstick

Ah damn, I was really hoping it didn't look as static as I thought it did. I really suck at dynamic poses so I've been sketching them nonstop to try to get better. Guess I need more practice. sweatdrop I actually had trouble finding good references for the arms for this pose, but it could be that I wasn't looking in the right area. As for doing a 3/4ths perspective, I might just do that with my next piece. Most of my face drawings tend to be in 3/4ths, but never bodies, so it may do me some good. I had gone through two other poses before settling with this one, but I guess I can experiment with a few more. Thanks for the kind words and critique. UwU

Try taking a picture of yourself or a friend in the pose you want- a lot of the time the internet isn't that helpful for finding the exact pose you're looking for.

A lot of people don't like this idea because they're afraid of what others might think when they're asked to pose.
If people think you're weird, or question you, tell them that a lot of the masters didn't paint without reference, and some famous artists flat-out couldn't. James Gurney, creator of Dinotopia, has his friends and kids and neighbors (and once, the guys working on the roof next door) dress up in costume so he can get the look right. Norman Rockwell took photos and straight up copied the main bits and tweaked details, as shown here.

Reference is awesome, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That being said, respect their wishes if they don't want their picture taken. Just find a better friend wink

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Since that drawing is part of a three (or more idk yet) part series, would you guys mind critiquing the next piece? Right now I'm on the ideas/sketching stage, but nothing concrete yet. Here's the sketch but I'm not feeling it 100%. The theme is angry and lightning. I'm thinking of shifting the view to the left and down low. Think it'll look good?

Cunning Comrade

16,225 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I think you made her look a bit too masculine. The body looks very manly and not very feminine. Try making her a bit curvier. I would also avoid a pose which is someone facing directly towards the viewer. This results in the work looking too perfect to be realistic. Regular poses aren't that stiff and perfectly facing forwards. When you add colour, you should also try to think about shadows, midtones and highlights. From what you have done, I can only see block colours which isn't as impressive. If you apply the watercolours lightly at first and get darker in places as you go this can help. Also look at your lighting and decide where the source of light for the picture is.

The positives about this piece, is that your line art is neat and everything is quite neat. The folds in the clothing are decent and you have clearly put a lot of effort into the hands. I think adding details like eye lashes might help it look more realistic.

Keep drawing. You will improve as you go. Keep up the good work smile

Also I will add something, you said you usually don't ask for critique because you already know what needs work. This isn't true for any artist. There are always times when we fail to see faults in our own work and need it pointed out to us. No two people look at the same image and see the same thing.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
flashstick
Try taking a picture of yourself or a friend in the pose you want- a lot of the time the internet isn't that helpful for finding the exact pose you're looking for.

A lot of people don't like this idea because they're afraid of what others might think when they're asked to pose.
If people think you're weird, or question you, tell them that a lot of the masters didn't paint without reference, and some famous artists flat-out couldn't. James Gurney, creator of Dinotopia, has his friends and kids and neighbors (and once, the guys working on the roof next door) dress up in costume so he can get the look right. Norman Rockwell took photos and straight up copied the main bits and tweaked details, as shown here.

Reference is awesome, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That being said, respect their wishes if they don't want their picture taken. Just find a better friend wink

Usually for poses I use one of those wooden pose dolls but they're not always reliable. For my next piece I may just have to take a ref pic using my sis. The internet is only good if you know how to comb through it tho. : P

Friendly Phantom

Again, the pose is stiff and not very dynamic. What emotion is she supposed to convey? Is the lightening behind her, coming from her, or both?

(Knowing the synopsis of the piece will help me give you better advice)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff