Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Humorist

6,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I have been working on it since last night around 7:30...... slept a couple hours, but other than that I have been working almost nonstop.
I hope you like it.
here
here is a sketch of a witch I'm going to draw, I am just wondering if the anatomy is correct. please use positive or HELPFUL critique.

Victor Bernard's Husbando

Dangerous Dabbler

This doesn't really scream 'succubus' to me. Just more female demon. Succubi are seductresses, not really fighting/warrior types.

Outside of that, the curled wrist looks a bit jell-o-y. If you bend your own wrist like that, there's generally a bump on the back of the wrist joining up to the hand. Her knees are also uneven, and I don't think they'd be that high up on her legs. I also don't understand why she has buttwings, especially since they're literally right on her a**. They're super muscly too, so she'd have a weird musculature system in line with them. It might be good to move them up to the lower back, and to reduce the thickness of the wings.

Dapper Humorist

6,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kait Yslanaa
This doesn't really scream 'succubus' to me. Just more female demon. Succubi are seductresses, not really fighting/warrior types.

Outside of that, the curled wrist looks a bit jell-o-y. If you bend your own wrist like that, there's generally a bump on the back of the wrist joining up to the hand. Her knees are also uneven, and I don't think they'd be that high up on her legs. I also don't understand why she has buttwings, especially since they're literally right on her a**. They're super muscly too, so she'd have a weird musculature system in line with them. It might be good to move them up to the lower back, and to reduce the thickness of the wings.
'aight female demon she is then... Do you want to give me some positive feedback too? That'd be nice... Usually I try to give at least a little encouraging comment at the end of the long rant of my slightly discouraging critique...

Rich Noob

i agree about the butt wings , i would suggest looking at pictures of bat wings, they closely resemble demon/dragon like wings and you can understand the structure a bit better.

i like the colours you chose, though it feels like you are using dodge/burn alot .. if so, please stop immediately D8

also the lines are a bit hairy in some places, sort of a pet peeve of mine ..
i like the whole shoulder area, and the skull bra and helmet are pretty cool wink

Dapper Humorist

6,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
thats rich
i agree about the butt wings , i would suggest looking at pictures of bat wings, they closely resemble demon/dragon like wings and you can understand the structure a bit better.

i like the colours you chose, though it feels like you are using dodge/burn alot .. if so, please stop immediately D8

i like the whole shoulder area, and the skull bra and helmet are pretty cool wink
They are not coming from her a**!
do you have any other suggestion for how to shade?
The reason why everyone (including me) thinks she has asswings is because there's nothing to suggest they are actually coming from her shoulders.
Her left (our right) wing's humerus abruptly disappears in that space above her forearm. The other one's joint disappears above her breast. I think the wings could have been placed higher to better suggest that they do come from her shoulders, not her a**.

Why would she need wings that large? The larger they are, the more they weigh. Which makes them harder to use and more of a burden than anything, especially where a little gal like her lacks the musculature in her upper torso to support wings that big. However, this is just me speaking practically, so you're not obliged to listen to this particular point.

For shading, try using colors. Dark, muted colors for shadows, and light, pastel colors for highlights. Like dark blues or purples, and light yellowish or bluish whites. Experiment! Dodge and Burn will only cripple you, so learning to use colors for shading and highlighting will make a significant change. Plus, it's fun.

Rich Noob

XiAte-YouBecause-imEvilX
thats rich

They are not coming from her a**!
do you have any other suggestion for how to shade?

well, they really look like they are to at least two people..
i'm not going to type out a big long paragraph explaining how to shade to you, there are many tutorials on deviantart and such emotion_eyebrow

Dapper Humorist

6,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Eizoryu
The reason why everyone (including me) thinks she has asswings is because there's nothing to suggest they are actually coming from her shoulders.
Her left (our right) wing's humerus abruptly disappears in that space above her forearm. The other one's joint disappears above her breast. I think the wings could have been placed higher to better suggest that they do come from her shoulders, not her a**.

Why would she need wings that large? The larger they are, the more they weigh. Which makes them harder to use and more of a burden than anything, especially where a little gal like her lacks the musculature in her upper torso to support wings that big. However, this is just me speaking practically, so you're not obliged to listen to this particular point.

For shading, try using colors. Dark, muted colors for shadows, and light, pastel colors for highlights. Like dark blues or purples, and light yellowish or bluish whites. Experiment! Dodge and Burn will only cripple you, so learning to use colors for shading and highlighting will make a significant change. Plus, it's fun.
thankyou thankyou thankyou! First helpful comment!

Fashionable Werewolf

I disagree with the first post, you cant say she is not a succubi, because they do not actually exist, therefore they could be anything(As long as they follow the basics like; female demon, sexy appearance, and a seducer(Seducing is hard to judge in a picture though). It is an opinion thing overall, to you, but it can be a succubi none the less. Ever played world of warcraft? The succubi has a whip in the game, maybe that would be better than a dagger, give her more of a sexual weapon rather than a dagger. Either way, you cant be told she is not a succubi. As long as she has the qualities of one, she is one, she has sexy clothing, and she is a demon, there you go.

Nothing really indicates that she is a warrior type, and warriors dont typically use daggers anyway, so the first poster's premise is flawed.

Just giving my input on that comment.

1. Typically a sexy female demon is a succubus.
2. Your image shows a sexy female demon.
3. Therefore, she is a succubus.

Kait Yslanaa

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
barbaric succubi ^^ anyways, i mostly agree to what everyone else said. work on more fluid and less sketchy lines, practice shading in other colors other than black, reference wings more, etc etc

her anatomy looks ok. just be aware of the arms, hands, and legs. one arm lacks muscle and transitions into the hand oddly. hands just need good old practice to improve. legs just look thick. work on making them a little thinner and longer in the humerus area. this will make them look less stubby. the left arm seems oddly place like you didn't know what to do with it. try poses in the mirror to see if they would look awkward or not.

i do like her outfit though ^^ even though it's a bit barbaric for what most people would think of a succubus, it's still in the sexy area.

Dapper Humorist

6,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
XMegantronX
barbaric succubi ^^ anyways, i mostly agree to what everyone else said. work on more fluid and less sketchy lines, practice shading in other colors other than black, reference wings more, etc etc

her anatomy looks ok. just be aware of the arms, hands, and legs. one arm lacks muscle and transitions into the hand oddly. hands just need good old practice to improve. legs just look thick. work on making them a little thinner and longer in the humerus area. this will make them look less stubby. the left arm seems oddly place like you didn't know what to do with it. try poses in the mirror to see if they would look awkward or not.

i do like her outfit though ^^ even though it's a bit barbaric for what most people would think of a succubus, it's still in the sexy area.
Thank you! that is very helpful, and I know, the arm with the dagger is too short... I noticed this a bit too late in the process... really my favorite parts of her are the clothing and her head... Otherwise I admit, I did a pretty bad job on the rest of her... I guess I should have used an anatomy reference... For some reason I have a hard time finding good ones...

I have been working a lot on my fluid lines, I use gimp 2.6 with a wacom tablet... I haven't quite figured out how to use gimp properly... I need some help with that...

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
XiAte-YouBecause-imEvilX
XMegantronX

Thank you! that is very helpful, and I know, the arm with the dagger is too short... I noticed this a bit too late in the process... really my favorite parts of her are the clothing and her head... Otherwise I admit, I did a pretty bad job on the rest of her... I guess I should have used an anatomy reference... For some reason I have a hard time finding good ones...

I have been working a lot on my fluid lines, I use gimp 2.6 with a wacom tablet... I haven't quite figured out how to use gimp properly... I need some help with that...

gimp can be a b***h! i feel your pain XD i hated it so i just bouth an old oooold version of photoshop. even photoshop 6 would be better than gimp. not that it's a bad program, it's just i don't like the interface one bit. but it's free, so you get what you pay for. i would save up a little to get a cheap version of photoshop or look up some good gimp tutorials online to get a better feel for the interface.

and i cheat a little when it comes to anatomy references. i have a 3d program from daz with a genesis model on it that transforms from male to female to kid. you can even transform their body types. i use it for pose ideas or referencing when something doesn't look right. it's really handy and i got it for free. i'm not sure if they offer it for free anymore, but maybe you can find a free download or something for it since all you would need is the program and the genesis model. the interface is pretty easy to understand too and there are tutorial videos out there.

Dapper Humorist

6,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
XMegantronX
XiAte-YouBecause-imEvilX
XMegantronX

gimp can be a b***h! i feel your pain XD i hated it so i just bouth an old oooold version of photoshop. even photoshop 6 would be better than gimp. not that it's a bad program, it's just i don't like the interface one bit. but it's free, so you get what you pay for. i would save up a little to get a cheap version of photoshop or look up some good gimp tutorials online to get a better feel for the interface.

and i cheat a little when it comes to anatomy references. i have a 3d program from daz with a genesis model on it that transforms from male to female to kid. you can even transform their body types. i use it for pose ideas or referencing when something doesn't look right. it's really handy and i got it for free. i'm not sure if they offer it for free anymore, but maybe you can find a free download or something for it since all you would need is the program and the genesis model. the interface is pretty easy to understand too and there are tutorial videos out there.
I have been wanting to get SAI but I'm not sure how... It seems like a better program...

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
XiAte-YouBecause-imEvilX
XMegantronX
XiAte-YouBecause-imEvilX
XMegantronX

I have been wanting to get SAI but I'm not sure how... It seems like a better program...

i couldn't get into the interface of SAI. if you can, then i would go for it. would be best if you want to get into more "painterly" digital painting. you can try to get the same effect on photoshop through different brushes, but it's not as easy. i would recommend trying mypaint (free painting program most similar to SAI like gimp is to photoshop) but it's a bit of a pain to maneuver around the canvas.

Dapper Humorist

6,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
XMegantronX
XiAte-YouBecause-imEvilX
XMegantronX
XiAte-YouBecause-imEvilX
XMegantronX

i couldn't get into the interface of SAI. if you can, then i would go for it. would be best if you want to get into more "painterly" digital painting. you can try to get the same effect on photoshop through different brushes, but it's not as easy. i would recommend trying mypaint (free painting program most similar to SAI like gimp is to photoshop) but it's a bit of a pain to maneuver around the canvas.
All I really want is a site or program I can draw stuff like this on... I know it'll be awhile before I can draw like that but I want to learn how to do all the fancy shading and fluid lines... That is probably my favorite witch picture...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff