Welcome to Gaia! ::

So this is a picture drawn on SAI of some Gravity Falls fanart.
User Image

Any opinions or advice would be helpful, but I'm especially curious about the colors and the composition.
Hi,
I think the composition if very well, it feels like you got a whole story going on.

As for the colors I think their pretty bland. I feel like your good with the highlights, but your missing a lot of of shadows like in between the folds of the clothes, or the strands of the hair, I think a few more dark strokes through out the piece would give your picture a lot more dimension.

However at the same time, your style feels cartooni, like for a kids show or an illustration book. If that is the case I think it's pretty nice the way it is. Hope this helps!
GrizzlyBear0432
Hi,
I think the composition if very well, it feels like you got a whole story going on.

As for the colors I think their pretty bland. I feel like your good with the highlights, but your missing a lot of of shadows like in between the folds of the clothes, or the strands of the hair, I think a few more dark strokes through out the piece would give your picture a lot more dimension.

However at the same time, your style feels cartooni, like for a kids show or an illustration book. If that is the case I think it's pretty nice the way it is. Hope this helps!

I found your advise very helpful, so I edited the piece to have darker shadows in certain places, and I even decided to make the shadows that already existed a bit more dramatic. I changed the image in the original post to the updated version, and I think it looks a lot better. Thanks so much heart
Very welcomed glad to help smile
I find that the shading makes the clothes look dirty instead of just shadows.

Celestial Dog

AH CUTE!

Dipper's right leg (furthermost leg) looks a little off? It looks small in comparison to the rest of him and has a different shape to it entirely than his left leg.

Great foreshortening on Mable's arm! And that tree's awesome I love it ahhhh
Shinigami of Justice
I find that the shading makes the clothes look dirty instead of just shadows.

I am actually having trouble seeing this. Can you elaborate a little more please? Do I need to make the shadows sharper instead of more blurry? Or do you think making them less grey and more saturated would help?

Q2k
AH CUTE!

Dipper's right leg (furthermost leg) looks a little off? It looks small in comparison to the rest of him and has a different shape to it entirely than his left leg.

Great foreshortening on Mable's arm! And that tree's awesome I love it ahhhh]

I can see how it has a different shape compared to the other leg, the right leg is more angular.

I had a harder time figuring out what you meant by the right leg being too small though, but I think I found the problem. There is a problem with the perspective that makes the lower part of his leg shorter. Its such a subtle mistake, I'm surprised (but super glad) glad that you caught it, because it actually messes up the perspective of the entire picture in a way that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I'll have to be careful about this sort of thing in the future.

Thanks so much for your kind words and your keen observation, they made my day heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff