Welcome to Gaia! ::

Does the color add to the page and make it better?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on August 25, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 >

i like the colored one but red and it's different shades are used too much like the building's wall should be more brownish and the girl in te first panel's hair should be a light blue or some similar rather than red
PrismindX
i like the colored one but red and it's different shades are used too much like the building's wall should be more brownish and the girl in te first panel's hair should be a light blue or some similar rather than red

Well, on those colors:

1. Red / reddish orange is the traditional color for temple gates...which is why that color is there.

2. The girl in the first panel is the same girl in all the panels, which is why her hair is red throughout.

Good comments all! Keep them coming...
Kamiomi
both pages look really great! heart i'd say stick with the grayscale (and use black to replace the blood in the colored version, because in the grayscale you're right that it's really not clear) for a few of reasons:

first, it's the manga style, comics are black and white, covers are in color.

second, it's less work in the long run - indie comics burn out more often than not, so if you're working on something you want to keep doing, you should keep a manageable workload.

third, the colors aren't SOO great that they seem necessary, the work is excellent in grayscale anyway, so do you need color? no. maybe it's because it's a dark scene, the only colors really seem to be blues and reds. a better comparison would be a well lit scene with multiple characters or a table full of food, or other variations of color.

the color work is fine, it's adequate, but it's not a scene that shows off your best color work.

heart

That's what <i>I</i> said. XD;; 'Cept it won't be an indie comic fer much longer.
I like the red in it. no more colour though, just that
Of additional note:

I asked Juno not to override Ron's greyscale / shading with colors..and...to show me how fast she could do it, she completed this in approximately one hour.

I have given her 4 other pages to test on...so I'll post them up for opinions / comparison as well as she does them. Keep the comments coming..as all opinions help me judge the work. Why do you ask? Because Juno has offered to color all our online pages for us and future ones for web viewing, if we all (including her) feels her work adds to the reading enjoyment and overall feel of it.

Personally I like it, but I want all opinions to be reflected in the process.
[Koji]
B&W, all the way. I hate coloured Manga's.
~Has comments on the full comic sheets he saw before this~

Comment away~
The Iconoclast
[Koji]
B&W, all the way. I hate coloured Manga's.
~Has comments on the full comic sheets he saw before this~

Comment away~

Yes, please do...all imput helps.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9569162/

this is one of my better completed works, according to my fans anyway
Very good comments so far and I will pass them along to Juno...

I was looking at her fix of some issues on it today (she still has a couple more to do later) and it hit me like a ton of bricks what her coloring reminds me of, particularly on panel 3 of this page.

Ever see some comics where they took screenshots of an anime and basically pinned them together to make a print comic? When I look at the colors she used, I get a picture in my mind of a STILL from an animation of Brawyn…that is the feel her colors give me without the pieced together sloppiness of stills cropped together.

That is why I love that coloring style, because I really really really want to see Chisuji as an anime one day. Color the way she is doing it combined with Ron’s screen tones helps me envision that when I read the page.

I hope that makes sense.
Stick with b&w... It's more traditional comic and it looks awesome. No fancy coloring needed, stick with grayscale, it adds more...
Juno fixed some issues with that page tonight, adding more contrasts, blues, inverted lines for movement and a few other things. The page, in my opinion, is much improved.

Please reload the image and see for yourselves.. and offer opinions.

Next color test due to be posted tommorow evening.
I think the colour is good, but the hair is way too shiney.
colored is better...it always gives me the urge to read the comics just because they have color...that's also why I almost never like reading black and white comics...because they don't look as good as the colored ones.... 3nodding
And here is the next test folks (had a slight delay, but we got it up).

Greyscale version
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Color Version
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Juno is adding some improvements as she works on it, but this is another look at what she can do with more of our pages. What do you all think?
Commenting upon your lastest comparisons... black and white excites me. xd By using B&W, you're using grey values to convey the depth and dimentions of your story. This heightens the reader's awareness of these same things, and by your lack of a large range of shading in the colored pages (which artist has the time to do skin tones in a comic book?) there is a lot less depth in the second picture than the first. Whereas in black and white, we can "imagine" the colors much more vividly than if you were to color them in a simple manner.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff