Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Smoker

18,025 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Megathread 100
FredwardLovesYou
Oh my god. Those are AMAZING! I really want to make art dolls, but I don't have all that much time -___-
Also, if you're making a floppy doll, I would suggest either:
a) not make the head/feet from clay, but with cloth (however, I think that would sort of defeat the purpose of your technique) or
b) you could maybe poke small holes through the clay and sew through the holes and cloth, to sew the pieces onto the body (probably with some kind of heavier thread.)

Oh and, can you give me some advice on how to use wire armatures to make things like this? The only times I've used them were to make these little yarn doll things (they aren't very... cool xp )but these are the kind of dolls I want to make! So any advice? mrgreen
Oh yeah, I've thought about poking holes in the clay (it's hard to get it so the needle fits though when it's hardened though).

As for the armature- what i do is make an armature like I would any sculpture. It's basically a simplified skeleton. Depending on what you're making, you may need to re-enforce certain parts of it so that it balances right. I like to put extra glue and wire in spots that need to be heavier. Good luck with your doll making!

Rainbow Smoker

18,025 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Megathread 100
Kait Yslanaa
A good idea might look at things like cabbage patch dolls, or just those old baby dolls for little girls. Those have the plastic heads and cloth bodies.

I think what's going on with those is that there's a sort of rim on the ends of the limbs, and they just sew the ends of the cloth tightly into that rim. That or use an O ring. It's been ages since I've actually seen one, but my little Big Daddy plush has a similar design and it looks like they just used a zip-tie with his head.
oh! That's a very good idea! Maybe I can give that a whirl.

Rich Noob

omg, I love these ! Do you sell them ? I would buy one for sure.
3nodding

Rainbow Smoker

18,025 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Megathread 100
thats rich
3nodding
I do smile Check out my etsy link provided in the first post.

Rich Noob

MiiruFae
thats rich
3nodding
I do smile Check out my etsy link provided in the first post.

thanks ! don't know how I missed it XD

xXAkatsuXx's Oppa

Steadfast Seeker

one thing i was taught was when you're sculpting the clay parts, sculpt some little loops on the part you're going to attach. then you can literally sew it onto the cloth.

Rainbow Smoker

18,025 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Megathread 100
PeachGardenOath
one thing i was taught was when you're sculpting the clay parts, sculpt some little loops on the part you're going to attach. then you can literally sew it onto the cloth.
That's not a bad idea, but I think inserting wire loops might be more secure.

xXAkatsuXx's Oppa

Steadfast Seeker

MiiruFae
PeachGardenOath
That's not a bad idea, but I think inserting wire loops might be more secure.

yeah! that sounds much better. :3

Shameless Smoker

Oh art dolls. Ive made so many of those its no even funny. none as realistic as yours mind you) when I made my floppy dolls I actually mixed two type is advice people have already given you, I created a lip in the lower edge of the clay piece and after sewing the cloth body I folded the cloth over the rim and zip tied it from the bottom I usually used the zip ties for electronics because the locking button was smaller) but that was only for lighter pieces hands and feet) the heavier pieces I built over a strip of chicken wire running around the bottom so it would stick out then also built the lip piece. I then sewed the cloth through the wire sadly by hand) used upholstery thread. Then after it was secured I folded that up and zip ties to hide it. I also used the wire piece sticking out for sculpting collar bones by stitching through it in areas and French knotting it) as far as makin patterns I suppose you can try how I make patterns for myself from my doll form. I take tinfoil and press it around to pick up all the curves and then tape over it in te cheapest masking tape I can find. After that I trace the obvious curves with a sharpie, remove it and cut along the lines. this I also the technique I use to make patterns from face molds) it works fairly well once you get the hang of it.

Hope my long and drawn out response helped somehow.

Rainbow Smoker

18,025 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Megathread 100
BabbleFish
Oh art dolls. Ive made so many of those its no even funny. none as realistic as yours mind you) when I made my floppy dolls I actually mixed two type is advice people have already given you, I created a lip in the lower edge of the clay piece and after sewing the cloth body I folded the cloth over the rim and zip tied it from the bottom I usually used the zip ties for electronics because the locking button was smaller) but that was only for lighter pieces hands and feet) the heavier pieces I built over a strip of chicken wire running around the bottom so it would stick out then also built the lip piece. I then sewed the cloth through the wire sadly by hand) used upholstery thread. Then after it was secured I folded that up and zip ties to hide it. I also used the wire piece sticking out for sculpting collar bones by stitching through it in areas and French knotting it) as far as makin patterns I suppose you can try how I make patterns for myself from my doll form. I take tinfoil and press it around to pick up all the curves and then tape over it in te cheapest masking tape I can find. After that I trace the obvious curves with a sharpie, remove it and cut along the lines. this I also the technique I use to make patterns from face molds) it works fairly well once you get the hang of it.

Hope my long and drawn out response helped somehow.
No, it's great to get some advice from someone who makes art dolls! Not that I haven't gotten some good suggestions so far...

Rainbow Smoker

18,025 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Megathread 100
Anyone interested in a commission?

Fashionable Noob

These are really cool!

I think the best option is to put something in the clay to provide loop holes that can be sewn through. If you have wire inside the head and feet already it would be quite easy and sturdy to make the loops attached to the same wire armature.

5,350 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
oh.. my... god......WOW! let me just pick my jaw up off the ground..... ok done. These are just too amazing :O wow wow wow wow lol i love these soooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mrgreen
MiiruFae
Hello!
This is a more unusual post for the "Picture Post" forum, but I'm fairly sure it's still applicable.
I've recently have gotten into making art dolls (see examples below), but I still have a lot of kinks to work out. For instance- how does one create a pattern? I just sort of cut fabric and hope it fits.

Also- I usually make the dolls with a wire armature inside, but I'm interested in making floppy dolls without an armature. Any ideas as to how to securely attach the head and feet to the body without an armature?

These- are my dolls in order from oldest to newest.

Visit My Etsy Shop for Info on Commissions

First- Logan the "wolf-dragon"
User Image

Second- Mollie the Collie

User Image

Third- Tundra the Arctic Warrior Rat

User Image

Fourth- Morpheus the Black Wolf

User Image

Those Are Really Cute! biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit