Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Kitten

18,290 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bidding War 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I mostly draw with led pencil in my sketch book but i want to step it up.
The black and white and my shading is good but when it comes to coloring ugh.
So any traditinal art makers, what do you use to outline and color your art.
Is it a huge color pack or you mix?

Or what program to use to finish my pencil work on a pc?
Looking into colour harmony will help overall with understanding colour working together.
A lot of it is also experiment and practice.

I personally tend to use either a set of microns to line or a technical pen filled with india ink.
lots of inks will bleed depending what you use for colour though. If I'm using my copic markers I have to line afterwards otherwise it tends to bleed and look mucky. Pencil crayons (I like prismacolor premiers) I can line first, but usually still better to line after so they look dark and crisp.

Any photoshop will work for taking pencil to PC, just switch your lineart layer to multiply and you can colour under it.

OG Citizen

9,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Little Tasmanian
I mostly draw with led pencil in my sketch book but i want to step it up.
The black and white and my shading is good but when it comes to coloring ugh.
So any traditinal art makers, what do you use to outline and color your art.
Is it a huge color pack or you mix?

Or what program to use to finish my pencil work on a pc?

User Image
User Image

User ImageI bought a disposable fountain pen to ink my drawings, pretty cheap, and it worked really nicely. For thicker lines, I used a brush pen. You really have to take care of pens with metal nibs, but they are very responsive to pressure and create a nice smooth line. Jet Pens has a really nice selection of good pens, pencils, paper, inks, they have it all.
As for coloring, I tend to use acrylic paints, watercolor, or watercolor pencils. All are pretty easy to mix, so you only need to buy a few basic colors.

As far as digital mediums, there are several programs you can choose from. I wouldn't reccomend digital unless you have a tablet for drawing on the computer. Something from a company like Bosto, Yiynova, or Wacom. For programs though, Sai and Fire alpaca are both good free programs. I would not reccomend Photoshop as a drawing tool because it has no stabilizers for your pen and is intended for photo work. It's also very expensive. Corel Painter 13 is my program of choice, much cheaper than Photoshop, I got it for $50, and it's far more intuitive and better for drawing. It takes a little bit more to learn, but it's worth it.User Image

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces