Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cutesmasher

Hello,

I have been practicing and developing my style to make it more unique, but sadly my friends don't seem to like it. They say the old ones are way better than the current style.

User Image

Personally, I like drawing variation of faces and body shapes to match the character's personality. (The lower pictures are the newer arts) But it earned so less approval from people.

User Image

So I was wondering if there's some people who would enjoy an art style like this? Because I think some people might think it looks weird and uninteresting. And if so, should I create an art community account to publish my art? ( I owned one DA account but it has been inactive for about 8 years. )

Thank you very much for your time and suggestion!

Dapper Phantom

If you like the style, keep at it. Variation in character faces and body can ONLY help you. It will make each character distinguishable at first glance. You can put personality into their very design. You can ask why your friends prefer the old style and see how to incorporate just a piece of that idea (but not necessarily turn back to that style) into your new stuff. Did they like the old hair, the body movement, etc. If they just like the old style because it was generic anime, thank them for the answer and move on. Art is about evolving.

The top pic has good qualities and the sketches have good qualities. I say just keep going.

Art communities can provide a sort of feedback you might not get elsewhere. It's entirely up to you whether you want to invest the time into them, though.
I agree with the above comment. It's good to have variety and try new styles. That is what helps you get better and better as an artist.
Yep, I agree, stick with experimenting.
Besides, that new style seems very new and in the works, it's just sketches at this point. Once you've made a complete work your peers may be more excited...otherwise, they could just feel attached to your style but don't worry, art is all about growth and you will feel much better for finding yourself.
Essentially what Euclid said. Body types and faces and postures are what make a character identifiable at a glance. This is the opposite of harmful. 3nodding

Just keep practicing with your new style. Keep incorporating new things into it! Things will come together more solidly once you get comfortable with the new style. emotion_yatta

Cutesmasher

euclids_triangle
If you like the style, keep at it. Variation in character faces and body can ONLY help you. It will make each character distinguishable at first glance. You can put personality into their very design. You can ask why your friends prefer the old style and see how to incorporate just a piece of that idea (but not necessarily turn back to that style) into your new stuff. Did they like the old hair, the body movement, etc. If they just like the old style because it was generic anime, thank them for the answer and move on. Art is about evolving.

The top pic has good qualities and the sketches have good qualities. I say just keep going.

Art communities can provide a sort of feedback you might not get elsewhere. It's entirely up to you whether you want to invest the time into them, though.

Thank you very much for you suggestion and critique , it really is helpful!
I noticed that the style I posted above was still unstable, I did make some minor improvements and fix simething up to make it look better on style.
That really is a great idea ! All the people I asked for advice suggested that , and I'm working on it. I also asked some people why do they dislike my style, some of them say 'it's just not cute' while some of them said 'it's not anime'.

Cutesmasher

Red Zebra
I agree with the above comment. It's good to have variety and try new styles. That is what helps you get better and better as an artist.

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I'll try to follow your advice!

Cutesmasher

baby bijou
Yep, I agree, stick with experimenting.
Besides, that new style seems very new and in the works, it's just sketches at this point. Once you've made a complete work your peers may be more excited...otherwise, they could just feel attached to your style but don't worry, art is all about growth and you will feel much better for finding yourself.

Thank you very much for your advice!
It's really new, I've just cme up with that for about a week at the moment I finished the piece above. I'm trying to make tons of sketch just to make myself get used to the style and try to make a character variation from their distinguished personality.

Cutesmasher

Eizoryu
Essentially what Euclid said. Body types and faces and postures are what make a character identifiable at a glance. This is the opposite of harmful. 3nodding

Just keep practicing with your new style. Keep incorporating new things into it! Things will come together more solidly once you get comfortable with the new style. emotion_yatta

Thank you very much for the suggestion!
I really ike what you said there, making a character identifiable at first glance is manly my current goal. It actually turned out more stable.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff