Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Wolf

First pic: Wow... that's interesting at least. Just the shots lack a bit of more realism... Wonder what's going on there. o_o

Second pic:
Well first off, if it wasn't intended, you got a big perspective problem there.
Appart from that the shading's nice, I guess.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Wow...um, really good on details. I can tell that a lot of timeand effort went into this. On the first one, the large man behind the wall looks really intimidating.

It seems like you're not afraid to try and draw different things, which is really good. The only 2 things that could be improved right now is perspective and anatomy. If you need more details on where those two things are flawed in these pictures, just ask and I'll help.
Both are very nice pictures. biggrin Looks like it came straight out of a comic book. It helps if you tell us what you were going for... But then again, maybe its up to the viewer to decide. Either way, both really good pieces. Keep up the good work!
It's really busy. I don't know where to look first. Try establishing a clear heiarchy before anything else.
^^^^Your race is statistically better than my race, but at least I'm still a better artist than you on this forum and that's all that matters to me.
SouthwestHTine
^^^^Your race is statistically better than my race, but at least I'm still a better artist than you on this forum and that's all that matters to me.

No, you really aren't. And race has nothing to do with this discussion. smile

You asked for critique and I gave some some valid advice: work on your compositions.
Well, you're ambitiously detailed, that's for sure. But try stepping back away from detail for now, work on your anatomy and perspective, try to "block-in" the basic shapes and construct a solid underdrawing foundation before filling it with detail.
You seem particularly afraid of negative space... everything is filled in and rather claustrophobic. So much that you fill in the skin of your characters by faking in these muscle rips, it unfortunately come out looking more like sagging wrinkles.

I'm curious to your medium for the digital work? (Are you using a tablet or mouse? Also, what software?)

1. This is crazy busy, and as mentioned, it kinda loses a sense of any focal area. Compositionally, there's no breathing space, there's no depth in atmospheric perspective, the colors are all local color (no atmospheric colors), and I dunno if that's intentional - but the guy with the gun is huge, and the guys who are shot up, in the foreground, are tiny in comparison. Overall, each individual component (each character, environment, car, etc) isn't unified in a way that reads as a moment of time in a picture or movie scene might depict.

2. The attempt at an isometric view here is disorienting. Disorienting can be ok if that's intentional, but I lose any sense of clarity to what certain things are as things move toward random and contradicting vanishing points (for the record, isometric has no vanishing points; but here, objects seem to taper toward one)... for example, the building with the door, it tapers upward (in correct 3-pt perspective looking down, it should be tapering down). Also a perspective issue, the girls skirt curves upward when it should curve down as an ellipse-form.
It looks like the girls in an interior hallway or so, standing over a slightly raised ledge, but I really can't tell where she really is actually positioned (or why she's holding grocery bags at the ledge). But most of all, the girl is really big (compare her to the size of that door!).
If you were trying for pure isometric -- Google image search an isometric grid for use.

Stylistically, I kinda like the potential direction you can take it: it kinda reminds me of some experimental, expressionist-driven scratchboard illustrations... particularly, there's a graphic novel called Walking Shadows, by Neil Bousfield. He does intentionally skewed perspective, but it still remains strong and technical. Might be worth looking up for you.

3. Also ambitious, but nobody is unified in size... the athletes in the back are gigantic, the ones at the front are midgets. Everyone's facial expression is kinda disturbing. If it's intentional, it has a very modernist look to, which can be OK, but again, the muscles are overdone and obviously anatomically faked (muscles where there are none).

Overall: You have potential with your eye for detail, but you need to pull back, try to create a solid foundation of a drawing first. I recommend practicing on loose gestures... but tighter and more realistic construction of your anatomy. Pay attention to scale, and some study on perspective as well, and don't be afraid of negative space... try to give your art some breathing room.

Dr_Cuddlze's Compadre

Profitable Prophet

9,950 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
SouthwestHTine
User Image

you've got a lot of color, which catches the eye nicely; for a small crit., I would darken the hue of the red you utilize for blood, and study folds in clothing more thoroughly.

Feral Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
SouthwestHTine
User Image

I.......am deeply impressed with your work. its raw and gritty. my suggestion is definently work on having a clear focal point in your art/ determining the vanishing point for perspective if you are inserting a background and or scene.

but honestly, I think if you (do you do digital???) if you painted these, people would buy them for sure.

the distortion in your work is breath taking. the brights of the blood i know was mentioned in another persons comment xD but i kinda sorta love that washed look, could just analyze it as the blood doesn't stand out more than the back ground because that brutality is normal
*mumbles* anyways yeah ! keep doing your thing youll always get better the more you do anyway

also i couldn't tell if you were joking with the race thing...
never let pride get in your way by blinding you. again cant tell if you were being sarcastic, but whether you are a better artist or not, that should never be an excuse not to listen to critique . afterall, the viewer must see and feel what you do, don't dismiss something that could help you improve! (:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff