Welcome to Gaia! ::

If your anything like me you gonna find that no matter what you do, or how much positive feedback you get, your still not going to be happy with the image.

Regardless to wether the picture is genuinely good or not, if your not pleased with it then your not pleased with it.
Sometimes its just better to put it to one side and call it a draft, and start again on the real thing. Usually you work quicker then the first time as you know what your doing, and the small alterations you make make the image much better then the first, even if it is only in your eyes.

Genius

thante
If your anything like me you gonna find that no matter what you do, or how much positive feedback you get, your still not going to be happy with the image.

Regardless to wether the picture is genuinely good or not, if your not pleased with it then your not pleased with it.
Sometimes its just better to put it to one side and call it a draft, and start again on the real thing. Usually you work quicker then the first time as you know what your doing, and the small alterations you make make the image much better then the first, even if it is only in your eyes.

Very good and true words. I'll probably stop bothering with this image now, though I liked it a whole lot better once I changed the contrast a bit.

Wheezing Gekko

5,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Amonilicious
But the point is, I don't want to shade it heavily, of course I could, but its not what I wanted the picture to look like. I wanted to give it a bit of a "dusty" look, like if the picture was only a sketch on brown background paper, barely differentiating from it. It was intention to have less contrast, it just wasn't intended to make it turn too dark and too dirty, like it did. I don't know how to explain it.

I'm still thinking you'll have to try out things by hand again. When it's difficult to separate colours from each other, the picture becomes heavy and a bit of a blob, really. So you'll have to rethink your choice of colours.

Wheezing Fatcat

8,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
Matsunaga Kaede
That took eight hours...? o_o You need to learn to use your time more efficiently, bro, it's mush.

You know I see you around the picture post a lot, and I have to say can can come off as rude.
The way you phrase things, or even, what you say a lot of the times are unhelpful cheap-shot comments.
I can take it, I don't care, but look at yourself and think, "Do I really want to be some wannabe art snob?"
Teh HollyWood Massacre
Matsunaga Kaede
That took eight hours...? o_o You need to learn to use your time more efficiently, bro, it's mush.

You know I see you around the picture post a lot, and I have to say can can come off as rude.
The way you phrase things, or even, what you say a lot of the times are unhelpful cheap-shot comments.
I can take it, I don't care, but look at yourself and think, "Do I really want to be some wannabe art snob?"

The way I see it, I can do one of two things:

I can use dainty language to avoid offending people who think that "critique" means "glowing praise accompanied by one or two generic suggestions that would apply to any piece of art ever made"

OR

I can be honest.

Yes, I do come off as a snob. I'm not a "wannabe" anything, I fully admit that I am a harsh critic. And while I've got a minute, let me tell you why:

There are thousands of good artists out there whose work is good, but never gets any recognition, because it isn't great. There's this grey field between artists who are terrible, but have lots of peers who are happy to comment and critique because they're all equally unskilled and can feel comfortable praising each other all day long, and the truly fantastic artists who don't need to do anything but post their work to get recognition.

The artists who are better than terrible but not good enough to be great are the ones who actually DO put effort into their work and actually DO spend time practicing and learning and doing tutorials and exercises; when I see someone whose work suggests they're at least putting serious effort into focusing on really learning, I give them all the help I can, and I don't need to be mean. In fact, I have no reason to be.

But when I see someone who obviously has not made any kind of serious effort, or makes excuses for why their work is shoddy, post their latest doodle asking for critique but is obviously fishing for praise? It annoys me. It absolutely colors my responses, and I refuse to compliment poor work.

When I see someone post a sketch, or a WIP, that they're still working on and asking for help with? I gladly give whatever advice I can, because that person is not holding up their terrible, half-assed, lazy 'finished' artwork and expecting the internet to validate their (lack of) effort.

Other people can give those generic, meaningless tips and shallow praise if they want to, but that's not me. So, yes, you're absolutely right: I am rude. I would go so far as to say I am awesome at being a complete a*****e.

But I do try to give legit critique, even if I'm not cuddly and nice about it: he says he wasted eight hours on this, all I did was agree.

Wheezing Fatcat

8,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
Matsunaga Kaede
Teh HollyWood Massacre
Matsunaga Kaede

The way I see it, I can do one of two things:

I can use dainty language to avoid offending people who think that "critique" means "glowing praise accompanied by one or two generic suggestions that would apply to any piece of art ever made"

OR

I can be honest.

Yes, I do come off as a snob. I'm not a "wannabe" anything, I fully admit that I am a harsh critic. And while I've got a minute, let me tell you why:

There are thousands of good artists out there whose work is good, but never gets any recognition, because it isn't great. There's this grey field between artists who are terrible, but have lots of peers who are happy to comment and critique because they're all equally unskilled and can feel comfortable praising each other all day long, and the truly fantastic artists who don't need to do anything but post their work to get recognition.

The artists who are better than terrible but not good enough to be great are the ones who actually DO put effort into their work and actually DO spend time practicing and learning and doing tutorials and exercises; when I see someone whose work suggests they're at least putting serious effort into focusing on really learning, I give them all the help I can, and I don't need to be mean. In fact, I have no reason to be.

But when I see someone who obviously has not made any kind of serious effort, or makes excuses for why their work is shoddy, post their latest doodle asking for critique but is obviously fishing for praise? It annoys me. It absolutely colors my responses, and I refuse to compliment poor work.

When I see someone post a sketch, or a WIP, that they're still working on and asking for help with? I gladly give whatever advice I can, because that person is not holding up their terrible, half-assed, lazy 'finished' artwork and expecting the internet to validate their (lack of) effort.

Other people can give those generic, meaningless tips and shallow praise if they want to, but that's not me. So, yes, you're absolutely right: I am rude. I would go so far as to say I am awesome at being a complete a*****e.

But I do try to give legit critique, even if I'm not cuddly and nice about it: he says he wasted eight hours on this, all I did was agree.

No honey, don't try now. I never said to be dainty, what I said is thing about what you say before you leave rude comments like you did. Saying something is "mush" is about the least helpful thing I've seen.
You don't know why people are posting what, you are not a mind reader.
Teh HollyWood Massacre

No honey, don't try now. I never said to be dainty, what I said is thing about what you say before you leave rude comments like you did. Saying something is "mush" is about the least helpful thing I've seen.

No, I'm not a mind reader, but there's only two reasons to show your artwork to anyone:

a) you want to be recognized for doing it, or b) you want help improving it.

Otherwise, you could just keep it to yourself. It's normal to want someone else to validate your effort, there's nothing wrong with that. It IS wrong, however, to use "Please critique me!" as a means of getting people to look at your work and then getting butthurt when they give anything but praise.

In this case? I thought "mush" was succinct, not rude. It already says in the subject line that this was a waste of time, so I didn't feel the need to go into great detail. The paint job and linework are sloppy, the face (which I didn't know was a face until I saw the eye) is poorly rendered and has no nose, the colors are muddy and dull.

But that's just my opinion; obviously, you disagree, and that's okay, too. But rest assured, I do think about what I say before I say it; I just choose to be an honest a*****e.

Genius

Matsunaga Kaede
Teh HollyWood Massacre

No, I'm not a mind reader, but there's only two reasons to show your artwork to anyone:

a) you want to be recognized for doing it, or b) you want help improving it.

Otherwise, you could just keep it to yourself. It's normal to want someone else to validate your effort, there's nothing wrong with that. It IS wrong, however, to use "Please critique me!" as a means of getting people to look at your work and then getting butthurt when they give anything but praise.

In this case? I thought "mush" was succinct, not rude. It already says in the subject line that this was a waste of time, so I didn't feel the need to go into great detail. The paint job and linework are sloppy, the face (which I didn't know was a face until I saw the eye) is poorly rendered and has no nose, the colors are muddy and dull.

But that's just my opinion; obviously, you disagree, and that's okay, too. But rest assured, I do think about what I say before I say it; I just choose to be an honest a*****e.

Guuuys, both of you relax. I don't mind if I get replies like that, in fact I counted with that because I know Picture Post very well and know that some people are rather blunt with their replies. Its okay if that's the person's oppinion, and I'm here to improve anyway. However, I don't view my work as negatively as that, because I know how much I have improved since I started drawing and I also know on what level other artists are on (from Art College and such). I judge myself to be medicore, striving to get better. And I accept critique.

All in All. Its Gaia, don't ever expect people to give you "nice" feedback. As long as its some kind of critique. it helps, its at least better than saying "dude it sucks" because THAT is unconstructive criticism and for kiddos who have no clue what they are talking about. Although, yeah, you should have written all of the points you added now into your first post, because "dude its mush" is close to "Dude it sucks".

Second Edit: Also, I NEVER would tell an Artist that a piece of Work was a waste of time, because EVERYTIME you draw, you improve yourself. Sure it might have not been the best you did, but it helps you for the future, and it raises your skill level.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff